Sunset apartments, Fez

U

um zineddine

hello seloua ,

have a look at the last posts, please (can you send me your e-mail on my private mail)

hope to hear from you soon

guillaume
Hi guillaume,
sorry for the late reply, i went to algeria for two weeks and i was stuck there for more than a week, i only came back yeaterday, i am gald to be home . i forgot how to send a private message, could you please remind me how to do it.
best wishes to everyone
seloua

G

guillaumetk

going to Fez next week (23/04/2011) , hope everything is fine there. I didn't have any news for a long time now. If anyone went there not so long ago, just tell me how it looks?

take care everyone

guillaume

U

um zineddine

updates

Hi Guillaune,
nice to hear from you, i hope you are all in good health, my husband went there in March, everything is fine, the place look great, pleanty of green and trees, the only worries is the new management, it seems that they are more about money then anything else the last time cherif was there, sulaiman and his brother were not paid and if it persist they may leave, and we do not want that, we know them so well and we trust them, then we hope we can find a solution for this situation, unfortunately, i am not going there this summer holiday, then keep us informed.
i hope you will have a great time there and enjoy your holidays.
seloua

G

guillaumetk

thank you

thanks for your answer...

it's good to hear that everything looks fine. It's definitely a worry that they aren't paid anymore and that they might leave. The only question is what can we do? I'm sure everyone is ready to pay for sulaiman and his brother, at least the none moroccan owners I suppose. If the new management is ready to create the co-owners association then it's ok and they should do it, but are they ok?
I had the owner on the phone last year who told me it cost 20000 DHM a month to pay for everything (electricity, water and 4 people to take care of the buildings and the gardens) so if it's possible to divide this by the number of flats then it's not that much to pay per month(around 250 DHM by flat=25 euros=20 pounds),but the only problem is to inform every owner and make a final decision. I don't know how to do this and only the management can inform everyone as they probably have everyone's contact.

in any case my family is in good health and i hope yours is too. We're flying there tomorrow for ten days with friends, if I hear anything or can do something to help I will.
Last time I had taken lots of pictures to send you but then I don't know why, I think I didn't. SO if you want pictures this time let me know and I promise I will send them this time.

Take care....

guillaume

U

um zineddine

thank you

Hi Guillaume,
there will be great if you could talk to sulaiman and find out if we can do anything, we may be able to gather all the information about owners, we can contact them and try to do something, anyway lets see how the situation will be when you go there, we are ready for anything which will benefit our investment, if you have difficulties to explain things to sulaiman please let me know and we can call him and talk to him. give my best wishes to all your family and enjoy your holidays.
best regards
seloua

G

guillaumetk

Hello again,

I'll try to speak to him but my knowledge in Arab are very limited and I'm not sure i'll manage to explain the situation so maybe it would be much easier if you called him, anyway I'll try. I already collected a certain number of names and numbers but I think I have around 30 names, so there are 40 or 50 more to go depending on the numbers of flats they own. I'll check if sulaiman has more information about owners and contacts...

best regards

guillaume
ps: you can send me messages on my private mail. I'll to go to an internet cafe during my stay in case you post anything

A

Arsim

Hi There,
- We too bought an apartment in Feb. 2011, in this so called ''Sun Set apartments'', which is officially: Lot Kortoba, route (on the road of) Sidi Hrazem (= nearest town 6 km, which is by the way a bath place, build around a healthy warm water source).
- Our apartment lays on second floor, in second bloc 1st entrance, right wing blocs, when you face East, or so to say the Palace gardens. Superb view and a quiet place to stay.
The view to the East is even greater when the sky is clear, you can then see the snowy Bouiblane mountain (direction Taza). All in all I can guarantee you as a native of Fes, that there aren’t many places like that, that close to the city!
- I was back in Fez /apartment, in May where I stayed for a few weeks, and here are some facts and concerns:
1/ It is a very nice location indeed, though the buildings need more attention like some good layers of painting, however the gardens, terraces etc. are well maintained, the pools still need more refurbishments, if we want to swim in the coming years and if we want the place to keep more value.
2/ Although I believe, that buildings are technically speaking strong enough, and that these cracks (some of the co-owners are mentioning) are superficial ; however the construction is up to the standards average in Morocco.
3/ I bought my apartment directly from the developer, which is a Moroccan guy partly owning Societe Shiam Promo SARL, so there's no British nor European company involved in the construction, but I guess that was the case for owners who directly purchased from Europe.
4/ We were some 12 owners at the end of May 2011, after a meeting it was decided that FGL security company should quit, they're now out, it was also decided that the 3 security guys with their 4 dogs (at least),should remain, so there's security on 24 hours basics.
5/ An elected committee, has now taken place: association /community of co-owners (Syndicat),they are very active to go through all legal procedures in order to obtain a legal status, also to plan next actions etc. (executive is Zakaria, he’s in charge of the resources, al Khammar ‘’the teacher’’ is responsible of the funds, as soon as I get more facts and news, l'll be sharing them with you)
6/ We (present owners) contributed in building a guardian 'niche' and removed this ugly 'cabane' from the main entrance as well as the others laying in the garden.
The owners who were present in May, are very enthusiast and eager at same time, I believe they're capable, with the support of everyone, of changing Kortoba to a secure and pleasant place to stay. Any effort should be encouraged, a positive attitude is a.o. may also be required.
I was worried about the security and other matters which were managed by FGL, I talked to the director twice in feb '11 then in May, I was pretty sure this was the wrong guy at the wrong place, if we wanted him to take our matters in good hand. Now I am very confident, things will improve. However you should keep in mind that this will be a bit long process, as most of things up there.
7/ There are now about 6 up to 8 owners who permanently live there! pretty reassuring, isn't it?
8/ Contribution we paid was 200 dirhams'' it is subject to discussion: may rise or may go lower, when more costs are made. I believe this is more than enough, to pays those three men and to keep the common parts as the buildings /flats clean and in good shape UNLESS everybody pays on time. This is now the main point many owners do live abroad and forget, or simply don't have the mean to pay on distance; BUT this will be solved very soon, by opening an account in the name of the community /syndicat called RAHA. So there won’t be any excuses (except the fact that things are not perfect out there, and will never be),but good enough should do I presume.
I paid mine with months in advance, until a set-up is reached on monthly payment via banks in Europe, I advise to pay months in advance, because there are few owners who have been paying, this brings up the risk that the guardians will quit if not paid or paid too late.
Could you provide me with e-mails and telephone numbers, of all known owners, we urgently need to discuss with the new Syndic /facility manager (who is also one of the owners and is living permanently there),our concerns and may together speak up our minds, in this way -I hope- , we will have a pleasant and a nice time during our journey when we are in Fez.

Cheers en Salam,
Ismael

Last edited:
G

guillaumetk

syndic/FGL/contact

Hello Ismael,

I'm too an owner of a"sunset"flat and I'm glad things are taken care of. I tried to do what I could when I was there but then it was a bit difficult staying there only for one week or so. I was there end of April and beginning of May and met Zakaria who talked to me about FGL and asked me if I could pay for it . So he gave me a receipt for the 2000 DHM I paid in advance as I would not be back before October!! I gave the money to Slimane. And then one month later, you tell me FGL quit!!!! So I'm a bit concerned about that!!!

so that's one thing!

but then I'm glad a syndic is on its way. Of course we want this place to be nice and welcoming and secure. I've got many e-mail addresses, but I suppose you already have them as they come from Slimane and his brother. I might have some phone numbers as well or addresses that I got from mr Skat (notaire)who took care of the first owner. So we can cross check our information. You can reach me on my mail: [email protected] to discuss about it.

take care

guillaume (from France)

A

Arsim

Hello Ismael,

I'm too an owner of a"sunset"flat and I'm glad things are taken care of. I tried to do what I could when I was there but then it was a bit difficult staying there only for one week or so. I was there end of April and beginning of May and met Zakaria who talked to me about FGL and asked me if I could pay for it . So he gave me a receipt for the 2000 DHM I paid in advance as I would not be back before October!! I gave the money to Slimane. And then one month later, you tell- me FGL quit!!!! So I'm a bit concerned about that!!!

so that's one thing!

but then I'm glad a syndic is on its way. Of course we want this place to be nice and welcoming and secure. I've got many e-mail addresses, but I suppose you already have them as they come from Slimane and his brother. I might have some phone numbers as well or addresses that I got from mr Skat (notaire)who took care of the first owner. So we can cross check our information. You can reach me on my mail: [email protected] to discuss about it.

take care

guillaume (from France)

Hi Guillaume,

I guess the 2000 Dh is the payment of 10 months, from month 4-2011 till month 2-2012?
You have a receipt and you gave money to Slimane, Zakaria knows that, right? so, it shouldn't be a problem.
Have you signed any contract with FGL? if yes, who else did??

Indeed Zakaria used to come to the owners, and asked them to pay their duty to FGL. He did that with good intention behind: if we, the actual owners don't pay on time, even in advance, we will end up with no security!
... thinking that the only security is to be provided by FGL: however the three guys Mohammed, Slimane (their 3rd brother, had already quit for some times already) and Azzedine, were already taking care of the site, filling all kind of jobs back then, thus present before FGL. FGL was brought at the end, by developer to give potential buyers a good filling of Security, together they came up with this sort of contract... I believe.
Zakaria came to me too, with director of FGL, that's where I remebered FGL guy our last conversation made in Feb. that as long as there's no adequate contract, with as scope:
A/ Security of whole complex
B/ Cleaning & Maintenance of whole complex, so as painting, repairing etc
with exception of excesive costst, like damages due to mal construction for instance (out of scope)
C/ Pools, not only security and cleaning
... that he shouldn't count on me; it was obvious to me FGL only wants to take care of the payments (using Zakaria by same occasion),but they don't really care about the rest, I convinced the others including zakaria, we should replace this company by a better one, a serious one, or as another alternative, take care of this ourselfs.

Another point is that, Slimane is Not the Manager down there, but one of the gardians, the recently formed comitee, is -at least for the time- in charge. Pls. involve them.

Now, if you happen to have, or anyone else on this forum a list of e-mail etc. of owner abroad, pls. give it asap, (I have none),the sooner we start to organise things the better it is for us.

My e-mail: [email protected]

Cheers,
Ismael

R

rosiecot

Hello all,

re the contract

I have insured my apartment for fire , theft etc. and when I have visited the apartments I have worked many, many days clearing rubbish from the gardens and surrounding area. I have weeded garden beds and pruned roses, and last summer I scrubbed out the swimming pool.
Having insured the apartment, I am not worried about security.

On my last visit, I found that the pool was empty and unlikely to be refilled, rubbish had been thrown in the area previously cleared and burned by me, and the stairways were still dirty and again covered with cobwebs.

I decided not to sign the contract until I could see positive signs that the contract was being honoured and the pool filled.

I bought my apartment on the basis of there being a swimming pool as it is necessary to swim frequently to keep cool.
Sadly, I do not plan to return to Fez until the pool is operational.

All very frustrating and extremely disappointing for us all, the whole saga of events.

On another matter, I would like to warn of problems with an agency who are now renting out my apartment. Tenants were installed without the agency informing me and to date ... now seven months later, I have received no money from the agency and All my emails are ignored.
by the agent. To make things worse, I have paid Radeef over £350 for water and electicity
used by the tenants!

If you are thinking or renting, please contact me first for the name of this so called agency.

A

Arsim

Hello everybody,
It is indeed a wise thing to do to ensure a property. That's also first thing I did just after buying my apartment.
I do fully agree with Rosiecot /Pamella and do understand her point, when you do your best to maintain a site, hoping it will remain clean and tidy (at least till next time),then as soon as you turn your back all trash is again back there, worst of all: people who are supposed to help, look at it as if there's nothing going on!
However, please keep in mind that even an ensured house need people around, to clean and maintain, or in worst case call you in case of fire for instance! who else will do that if your absent, than the guardians or the neighbors, plus the fact that in case of any damage you must notice the insurance company within a certain limits of time.
... it's wise from my point of view, we all contribute but make sure reliable people -read guardians- are in place.

Cheers,
Ismaël

Last edited:
A

Arsim

Hi everybody,

Has anyone returned to Fez recently?
Please, let us know what you've witnesed on site of "Sunset apartments" lotissements Kortoba.
I think we should use this platform more often to keep ''abroad owners'' up to date.
Thanks a lot.
Ismael

Last edited:
R

rosiecot

Hi All apartment owners,
I am going to Fez on 22nd September for three weeks and hope that you will come and say Hello if you are visiting at the same time.

It will be interesting to see how the building of the Hotel (quite near Afriquia fuel station) is progressing.Radeef were having major work done on the road to Fez which was causing some disruption in April, hopefully that will now be finished.

The stories about another Marjane being built along the same road do appear to be true. One can only hope that the building of a New Hotel is a sign that more will be built near us and so upgrade our area ...maybe even to encourage the Red Taxis to travel out to us..... Here's hoping!

Rosiecot

G

guillaumetk

copy of a message I sent to all the mail addresses I had, following a first mail from Seloua (below)
Hello Seloua and the others...

I don't know about the others, but I know I paid 2000 dirham to Sulaiman from January to October 2011, and I'm going back to Fes on the 25th of October. I forward this message to Zakaria who was in contact with other owners and to other mail addresses i have . Zakaria talked about starting a co-owners association... I don't know exactly what's going on at the moment... But yes we must keep trustworthy people in place. Forward this mail if you have other contacts, thank you.

here's the address of the forum for all sunset appartment owners in Fez
http://www.propertyforum.com/forum/morocco-property/4475-sunset-ap

I'll post this message on the forum as well...
take care
guillaume Fanchon
ORIGINAL MESSAGE FROM SELOUA

Hi everyone,
sulaiman called me and he said that he didin't get paid since january2011, if we want to keep sulaiman and his workes, he asked us a contribution of 200 dirham a month from each appartment for maintenance, please if you have any other contact please forward this email, we need to decide as sson as possible. we do not want to loose a trustworthy person.
please let me know.
kinds regards
seloua

A

Arsim

Great, have a nice holiday Rosiecot and Guillaume,

I hope the temperatures are clement by that time!
I will pay you a visit if my plans to be in Fez in mid-October are fulffiled.
in the mean time 'try to' have fun, by digging into the Medina, leave everything behind you ...

Cheers,
Ismael

Last edited:
A

Arsim

Hello everybody, salam,

I'm enjoying my last days in Fes. It has been really hard day's nights for me since I've been in the apartment: trying to 'finish' all things in the flat and around too...
Things are really improving down here, since last time (my visit in may 2011),however we still have a long way to go.... , I will tell more about the emprovement I sensed soon.

For those who recently visited Please share your comments, findings and feelings with us.
Sorry I missed some of you Abdul, Pam(/ella, Rosiecot),and the other fellows; sorry for not having taken more time to get to know and share ideas with those who were present during my stay.
Cheers Ismael

Last edited:
L

lpw

Hello

Hello

I am new on this site and own an apt in sunset can someone give me guidelines to get in touch with all the owners.

Hello everybody,

It is indeed a wise thing to do to ensure a proprety. That's also first thing I've done juster after buying my apartment.
I do fully agree with Rosiecot and do understand her point, when you do your best to maintain a site, hoping it will remain clean and tidy (till next time),then as soon as you turn your back all trash is again back there, and worst: people who are supposed to help, look at it as if there's nothing going on!
However even an ensured house need people around, to clean and maintain or in worst case call you in case of fire for instance! the ensurance company wouldn't do that, plus the fact that in case of any damage you must notice the ensurance company within limits of time.
... it's also wise we all should contribute.

Cheers Ismael

A

Arsim

Hello there,

I was in Fez end February 2012, many things has changed and absolutely in a positive way:

Security
- There are actually only 2 guardians instead of 3, one by day, the other to keep an eye open through the night, this is lean due to the economic reasons
- Untill proper solution has been found to fill both the pools and to keep them running through the hot summer days and night of Fez, 2 guardians will be sufficient for the time beeing. To fill the pools or even one pool with drink water is very very expensive, so they think about drilling a well .... to be continued
- The two guardians switch from shift each week, meaning that one will be assuring security on days for a week, the other for the nights, they relay at 5 pm and 7am.
- There's a new guardian, a nice and definetly trustworthy hard working guy. The other guy is nobody else than our good guy Azzedine, they make a good team,
- He will be sleeping in the guardian studio first door, first building next to the guardian niche, that means that he'd be present a great deal of days and night.

Co-owners association : RAHA
- I am amzed and happy with the community of owners, including Zakaria as the executive of the association RAHA of our Kortoba residence ''Sun set apartments''; though he has a very busy job at the other side of Fez, and even doesn't live permanently there, but he's very often at his lunch breaks and at the end of the day visiting the place and managing things closely, supported closely by 'the teacher".
- I made some appointments with Zakaria last year on a.o. making the necessary legal steps to consolidate the community and on the other hand to manage the residence, these are time consuming procedures, he kept his word, so now we do have a legal co-owners association /community, with the legal documents which I will publish as soon as the platform /site is ready. This is important to be legal, then in case of TROUBLES or for instance no payment of some co-owners the community can take legal steps.
- Records of all transactions payments and so on are kept, and will be published on the site
- An account has been opened just recently with IBAN number so that we all can contribute monthly, and pay our duties on time
- Please do contribute monthly, or in advance, fixed amount is 100 Dh a month per flat. A yearly contribution of at least 200dh is also required to keep the common places gardens, terraces etc. tidy, clean and maintained (by purchasing tools, materials etc.)
- Please communicate with me your e-mails phone numbers etc. it makes it a lot easy to reach each of you if needed. Furthermore we miss a lot of names adress telephone numbers etc. to complete the list of co-owners
- Guillaume or anyone of you, if you still have some names, e-mails /adresses of co-owners etc. please let me know.

Some concerns
- Many electric and or water counters of ours has been taken away by RADEEF (water and eletric company of Fez),this is because many of us hasn't pay on time, so be prepaid: on arrival to your flats many of you wouldn't have water and /or electrical supply, costs will be charged by RADDEF to draw a new contract and re-install the counter(s) around 1200 DH for water a little bit less for eletricity, and it longs about 2 days, if it's not week end before you get supplied again!!
- Zakaria and the members of the community as well as the guardians are seeking possibility to avoid such situations.

Salam,
Ismael

Last edited:
A

abenbrika

sunset apartment fes

Hi,
thank you very much for the full informations must needed, i was there last November, was only quick visit, have paid my yearly service charge and hoping to go back there soon, May/June to check the apartment.
will report back on any developments, in the mean time please every one keep posting any up date on the development.
regards.

U

um zineddine

hi all,
i haven't been to my aprt since 2010, my brother went recently, as my flat is in the ground floor, my brother noticed that the tiles are uneven, and he said there may be water underneath the floor, he is not sure. but he said a french couple who had their flat next to swimming pool are reinforcing the structure under their flat to prevent the water penetrating. he asked the people who were doing the job but he didn't get a clear response of the problem, has anyone had this problem?
seloua