Start here - Absolute basics of investing in Brazil

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cariocadagema

There is no "New Law".
It's the existing DL # 9.760.
Let's try to explain again.
"Decreto Lei" 9760 says that foreigners are not allowed to have land or houses closer than 100 meters from the high tide level.
This law is more than 60 years old.
But again, the last 20-30 years, small, local authorities have "forgotten" this law.
Federal authories lost control over it.
They, local authorities, allowed it.
Maybe in some small places in the North East, local laws even allowed it.
But this local laws e "decretos" have no value.
9760 is a Federal law, a ruling law.

RobH, I don't know how long you live in Brazil, a few years maybe, but not long enough to understand Brazil I think.
Our great composer Antonio Carlos (Tom) Jobim said once:

"O Brasil não é para principiantes"

Brazil isn't for beginners.

Have you ever been in places like Vitória or Salvador some 5 years ago ?
"Barracas de Praia" all over the place. In Salvador some 400.
Authorized by the local municipal authorities. For more than 20 years.
But against the highest ruling FEDERAL LAW thats says, no barracas the praia or other permanent constructions within some 50 meters from the high tide line.
The Federal MPF stepped in, won the case, and now you will not find one single barraca de praia in these cities. They bulldozered them away in a few days.
Even very luxurious beach clubs owned by foreigner, worth maybe millions.
Other states like Ceara won't escape from this the next years.
The Fedral State lost control and Federal Laws are being f.cked up.

I read my brazilian newspapers (FdeSP, Globo, Estadão) every day.
I like to assist TV Senado.
I know Brazilians and their politicians are getting annoyed seeing all beach properies are being bought op by Gringos, prices ... a real unbelievable bubble.
One (leading left wing) politician even mentioned the fact he only saw signs with "For-Sale" not a single one with "Vende-Se".
And the fact that this, selling and buying by foreigners, is illegal.

This is the reason why it is sometimes better to consult a lawyer rather than reading websites.
I bet that when it's your indicated lawyer he will say; "No problem".
I sleep with a judge every night. My children call the judge MOM. Most of my children are grown up now and independent.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cariocadagema

Robh,
I think you are quite new here in Brazil.
Not so much knowledge about the real Brazil.
You have to learn a lot about Brazil, every thing, laws, rules, hystory, economics ............
Better:Brazil will learn you a lot.

There is no such thing as a BOOMING BRAZIL.
Brazil is busted.

Foreign investors are leaving Brazil like cockroaches when you turn the lights on.
As the Financial Times or the the Economist said last week, The Brazilian Party is over !.

The economy is busted after 10-12 years of miss management

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cariocadagema

Wow, you talk like a PT State Bank bank employee or a CUT union leader promoted to CEO of a state owned company.
No, not even they beleive it anymore.
Projects to come, plans, infrastructure, changes, big oil fields and so on.
Plans that never worked out the last 10 years, not one of them.
Oil production is declining, our lights almost go out like in 2001.
I think you are the only one still beleving in property booms, hugh 2nd largest South American airports in Natal and other miracles.

Tell me, if I had invested some 5 or 6 years ago in appartments in lets say Natal, would I have made big profits ? With R$, Euro, US$ or what ever.
I don't think so.
I would be glad if I could sell it today for the same price a would have payd in 2008 or so.

:s:

C

cariocadagema

Robh
Where was I wrong ?
In what ?
But OK, I will go back in time and quote something TRYING to show that the promisses of big profits, never ending booming of the housing market etc is .....................:D

debzor

debzor

Tell me, if I had invested some 5 or 6 years ago in appartments in lets say Natal, would I have made big profits ? With R$, Euro, US$ or what ever.
I don't think so.
I would be glad if I could sell it today for the same price a would have payd in 2008 or so.

:s:
I have been investing in, buying and selling property in NE Brazil (specifically in Itamaraca) since 2007, and I have never failed to make decent profits every single time. I know of a dozen others who have bought and sold at some stage over this period, and everyone of them, without exception, has made a profit.

Maybe this is the difference between Itamaraca and Natal, I don't know, or maybe we all made excellent investment decisions? But to imply that investments everywhere in NE Brazil are still only at 2008 values is simply plain wrong.

debzor

debzor

Natal has been the same regarding growth and I know plenty of people that have made good money there. The big exception was Ponta Negra which suffered from oversupply at that time, hence uv10 never selling there until recently.
So, apart from specific pockets of oversupply, we could generally conclude that prices in NE Brazil today are not still at 2008 levels?

debzor

debzor

You are (wisely ??) posting your answers in the wrong topic.

Waiting ..............:D
I am responding to a post that you made on this thread:

Originally Posted by cariocadagema

I don't think so.

And we have now concluded, with specific exceptions, that you were wrong. As you were with other statements like foreigners 'cannot' take funds out of Brazil, and foreigners 'cannot' own a property on the beach.

But thank you for your input.

C

cariocadagema

How you try to keep the attention away from the facts.
How you change my words.
Amazing, funny or sad.

I said it’s PERFECLY possible for aforeign investor to get his money out of Brazil. But there are rules and laws.
You proudly announce that you help, if necessary, your clients to get it out the ILLEGAL way.
That you are used to.
Which a serious financial crime, doing, advising or helping with it.
It’s called “Evasão de Divisas” - Crimes contra o Sistema Financeiro Nacional, 2 -6 years prison.

You are here with an investors visum, better take care of employing enough Brazilian, with your yearly RAIS and other documents.
If you throw the ethics in the garbage just for one reason, surviving in Brazil, than the end is near, faking being the smart guy and Brazil has no laws.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
As this thread has degenrated into a slanging match in am now closing it.

If anyone wishes to continue this discussion on a new thread please make sure that you have facts to back up your reasoning.
Personal attacks on members will not be tolerated.
Any further personal attacks will result in infractions for the perpetrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.