Stabilisation in Spanish property prices but affordability could be key to recovery

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Some parts of Spain are seeing property prices increase but some experts point out that it is*affordability that will be a key to a recovery in the country's real estate market.

According to Facilismo.com, Spain's number one property portal, Murcia has posted the highest*house price rises of all the nation's autonomous regions at 0.24%.

Click Here to Read The Full Story and Add your Own Comments to Stabilisation in Spanish property prices but affordability could be key to recovery

A

advoco

I don't think we will see any stabilisation and almost certainly no increases in my area - Manilva on the Costa del Sol. There are so many unfinished, empty and unsold homes and practically no buyers as far as I can see. Maybe it's better elsewhere.

J

jameswhiting

I personally think that with the euro being so strong purchasers will not be piling out of the UK at this time. We are always being told prices are still on the way down.
I think we need to look towards the likes of Russia and Scandinavia as this place still remains popular but has priced itself out of the market over the last few years. On the other hand when prices do reach bottom Spanish buyers who can get morgages, ect will snap up alot of the empty places and start the whole cycle over again.
Hope my humble opinion helps.

G

Gordon

Certainly can't see any price rises on the Costa Blanca for a while. Will be interesting to see when we actually reach the bottom price wise.

R

rowlandsbb

Mortgages are available to non residents and terms are getting better all the time
Large deposits needed unless you are buying bank repo's
CAM bank offer 80% LTV to non residents for example

Has the market reached the bottom?

I think the general view is that it at a flat level.Only those who have to sell are doing so and there are the Bank repo's which for sertain types of properties will mean that the prices will remain low for some time
But with building even quality products at a standstill evenetually this will mean that a shortage of quality properties will arise when buyers come back into the market
And next time around developers and builders will be more prudent and try to balance supply and demand better
So it may be a very long time before we see the mass off plan building schemes again and some will say ' thank god for that'!!

Buyers will also be very wary about off plan and want to see the facilities they are going to get before parting with their money
So this will alter the finance of development because developers will not be able to use up front deposits as cheap finance
The system of bank guarantees did not work properly for everyone and certainly you need to get one at the same time as making a payment, not waiting weeks or months . or for ever, to get one
If you are buying a re sale or reeady now I would also suggest that in the current market you make little or no payment until you are at the Notary- agree to buy but only pay at completion

A

advoco

Very little activity down my end of the Costa del Sol - Manilva and surrounds. A lot of empty and unfinished properties dragging the area down. Golf course next to me went into administration last week. Still suffering from the overexpansion before the crash. More interest in quality properties in places like Marbella.