Splitting property into two separate Dwellings

M

maggym

Hi,

I am living in a rented detached house from last 12 years.This house is detached and there is another house attached at the back (I have enclosed my own drawing as an example of the house layout) which has got its own entrance from the side and separate electricity (no gas for the whole property),separate council tax but one water bill for the whole property.Now the landlord wants to separate this property into two dwellings i.e separate property at the front and the one at the back and he asked me if i want to buy the property at the front and he wants to keep the property at the back and rent it out.He also told he will put something in the legal document that i will have first preference if he wants to sell the back house in the future.Garden and front parking has to been shared not sure of this at the moment. I am interested in buying this property i.e front part but not sure of the complications in the future and any mortgage constraints.Could you please let me know if it is possible to buy this house and anything i need to consider before buying? Thank you.

Attachments

F

FWL

You will need to take legal advice on this one - issues such as right of way, shared services, etc will need to be addressed. The fact the properties have seperate council tax bills suggests to me that they are officially listed as seperate homes which is a good start.

The idea of having first preference over the second property is a red herring in my book as he will simply sell to the highest bidder when the time comes - whether or not that is you is a different matter.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Legal advice is a must for this slightly complicated situation. If you were to go ahead with a purchase you need to ensure your right of way, sort out the water bill issue (would you be held liable if the other party failed to pay their share?) and ignore the first preference on the other property as this is not really worth the paper it is written on. Surely the seller would just sell to the highest bidder?

D

diyhelp

I have seen many people fail to ensure a property has officially been split into two before they buy - leading to nightmare situations. Get your solicitor onto the case before you even consider investing.