ad

Small buy to let or bigger JV project?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
I have a small amount of money in the bank and would like to invest this in property - would you suggest buying a small buy to let and renting it out or looking for a larger project and working with a partner to complete it?

K

KMJ Property

I think this would depend on who the partner is, developing can be difficult when you have conflicting ideas, so small BTL would be safer, the larger development has more risk and as usual, more return if it works out. :)

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
If you partnered with someone who was more 'hands off' (and just wanted a set return for their cash),then this could allow you to do a buy, refurb and sell to build your cash pot... in turn giving you a few more options.

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally think the smaller buy to lets are being squeezed out (see recent tax changes - less interest able to be claimed, more SDLT e.t.c.) so unless you have quite a few of them I see this being a more challenging area than buying a bigger development and using a pure financial JV. There are plenty of people out there who value your expertise, drive and ambition and will be happy to back you. If you choose the right partner or financier then they won't need to be hands on at all, leaving you to get on - do what you're good at and make them their return!