Selling With 'No Development' Clause?

Discussion in 'General Property Investment Discussion' started by Wendywoo93, May 29, 2018.

1. Wendywoo93

Wendywoo93 New Member

Hi, am looking for advice please with a situation...
    My Mum owns a house very near my home.
    She wants to sell and as it's in a large plot property developers are keen to buy.
    The developers plan to build a whole estate on this plot and adjoining ones which is obviously the last thing I want on my doorstep.
    Is there any way to prevent the developers posing as a private buyer ?
    Is there any likelihood of finding a buyer who would agree to a clause in the contract of sale that there is to be no development on the land do you think?
    Many thanks for any and all advice.

2. nmb

nmb Well-Known Member

Why not sell the home and keep the land? This would ensure no development in the future? The value of property with a no development clause - if this was possible - would be relatively low anyway?

It might also enhance the value of the home if buyers were made aware that there would be no developments on the vacant land.

3. Wendywoo93

Wendywoo93 New Member

That may be a good solution many thanks

4. realdeals

realdeals Member

In all honesty I would take legal advice because there may be issues in the future if a third party took on the land and decided to go against the original wishes of your mum.

5. FWL

FWL Member

I am sure there will be aware using trusts and other legal vehicles but I would certainly take legal advice before doing anything.

6. diyhelp

diyhelp Active Member

Hi @Wendywoo93

Did you ever get to the bottom of this - is there a way to protect the land from development in the future?

7. MarkOBC

MarkOBC New Member

Sounded like a good idea. Did you find out more about it @Wendywoo93?