Selling costs

S

srjuanantonio

Can anyone provide me with realistic selling costs guidelines. I am selling an apartment in Sao Paolo. The agent is asking for 6% and a lawyer an additional 2%. This seems a lot of money for these services. Are these normal? Are they negotiable?
Thanks.

debzor

debzor

Can anyone provide me with realistic selling costs guidelines. I am selling an apartment in Sao Paolo. The agent is asking for 6% and a lawyer an additional 2%. This seems a lot of money for these services. Are these normal? Are they negotiable?
Thanks.
These charges are pretty normal, although Brazilian sales commission is more usually 5%. If your apartment is worth a great deal of money, then you can sometimes negotiate the percentage down, but on the other hand if it has a low value, an agent may want more...

G

growler

srjuanantonio, why are you using a Lawyer and paying him 2% ?

Your agent, hopefully Creci registered, should be able to do everything for you.

S

Sao P

Growler beat me to the the question first. Why you also paying a lawyer 2% ? The CRECI agency does all the paper work for you and is included in the 6% commision.

I live in Sao Paulo and can say for sure that 6% in the going rate, but that includes the whole service until the transfer is done and the cheque is in the buiyers hand for the property. You do nothing. Coincidently I will be selling my apto and have already been to the main established and reputable estate agents in my neighborhood, and 6% is the rate in the normal way. But like many things in Brasil, there are always shortcuts, but they normally mean higher risks involved. I prefer paying a little more, so my hard earned money is safer.

If you read this Brasil blog regularly, you can see why ! hahaha

S

surfingbrazil

A warning call !

Thanks.
Dear Juan Antonio,

You should know by now that in Brazil everything, absolutely everything, is negotiable.

You are probably dealing with crooks, trying to extort some extra money from you.
This is not so unusual since about 90% of Brazilian real estate agents are crooks to a certain extent.

Thus beware !

Hereunder my advice:

1 / A 5% comission is fair and standard in most places in Brazil.
2 / You do not pay for a lawyer as a seller. No way ! This is a rip-off
3/ Do not give them exclusivity; use 2 or 3 different agents.

" SEM EXCLUSIVIDADE" must be clearly stated in the paper you sign.

4/ Moreover, state that the comission is to be paid when you receive all the money.
This is extremely important because most agents forms indicate that the seller ought to pay the comission when the buyer pays the down payment.
In these cases they get the money and they might no follow up until the deal is sealed.

By the way, you do not need an agent to sell, provided you are the owner.

It could be a good idea, If you are there and if you have a good comand of the Portuguese language, to put an add in the newspapers and try to sell it yourself.

Good luck !

M

musicman

I have been waiting 3 years to have the Title of the property I brought in Brazil changed into my name,is this normal,the agent says its paperwork?

G

growler

I have been waiting 3 years to have the Title of the property I brought in Brazil changed into my name,is this normal,the agent says its paperwork?
When I bought my property in Brazil the Deeds were transferred in a few days. If you are referring to a new property it might take a little longer, but probably not more than a week or two unless it is part of a condo in which case you can get Deeds which show the "plot" but not the actual property you bought, full Title can only be obtained I believe on completion of the entire development.

Last edited:
M

musicman

Yes it is a Condo,thank you so much I will ask for the Deeds.Am little worried,its taken so long.