Schools in Egypt

G

GM43

Banned
the topic title is: Cheeky Monkeys.
Funky Monkey was a restaurant and is closed.

U

um zineddine

Hello,
I am very intersted by the subject, and i need your help, i bought a property in Hurghada, it will be ready in December 2008, I live in the uk and I am planing to move to hughada, the only worries is the schools my children are 15, 13,6 and 3, it seems that it isn't cheap as I thought , I need to be sure that british schools follow the uk curriculum, is it realy £6000 a year per child?

L

Lsab

Hello um Zineddine,

Did you check the earlier posts in this thread? I had a quick look and I think the fees mentioned were in $s rather than £'s - so that you can halve the amount you originally thought it was. :) These fees were also for El Gouna school which follows the British curriculum and has an excellent reputation (I have a friend who teaches there).

Click on the link to this thread too and look at post #292: http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/5213-living-egypt-30.html#post46213

If you've got a moment it would be great if you could introduce yourself on this thread: http://www.totallyproperty.com/egypt-property/5370-introductions-33.html. It's not obligatory of course but we all like to 'meet' the new members and if you read through, you'll get to meet us too!

...and welcome to the forum :) - I think you'll be joining many members who are intending to move to Hurghada or indeed, are there already! May I ask on what development you have bought?

If you've any questions at all please feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Linda

U

um zineddine

Hello Linda thank you very much for your quick response, very useful information too.
I vesited the forum as you told me , it is very intersting to meet people sharing your same interest, thank you so much.
salam

L

Lsab

Salam Seloua - I just posted a message for you on the Introductions thread :)

S

scooby21

Hi it was me that mentioned the price of £6000 GBP that is for the british school in Cairo, prices per child and yes I was a bit shocked and it is out of my budget with like yourself 4 children, we had been thinking about Hurgarda but have now gone back to orginal plan of moving to Cairo as we have family there, schools vary lots in price in Cairo there are language schools that teach most things in English but run the egyptian national system (£600 GBP per child) be aware though that this is not accepted in UK universities, there are more affordable options such as one school I priced was £6000 GBP per year for all my children Not per child(ages 10, 7,6,and 3) but running the british system, these schools are all in Cairo however and I think options are more limited in the Hurgarda area, the other thing is that in the UK the GCSE exam fees are paid for by the government and in Egypt you have to pay for each exam your child takes on top of the school fees. Please dont let this put you off the move but education is one of the more stressful things I have been looking at for our move and for me my children have to be happy or it just isnt going to work out for us. I have heard of other fmilies that have been in Hurgarda but have had to move to Alexandra or Cairo when kids have gone to university - lots to consider
:)

L

Lsab

It's a really difficult one isn't it? We have to pay for all the exams too here in Bahrain and the cost really adds up. Also though I know if you still pay taxes or own property in the UK you're alright, but if not, getting your child into uni if you've been away from the UK for a few years is very difficult. You could end up paying fees as an overseas student, whether or not you have a British passport.

U

um zineddine

Hi it was me that mentioned the price of £6000 GBP that is for the british school in Cairo, prices per child and yes I was a bit shocked and it is out of my budget with like yourself 4 children, we had been thinking about Hurgarda but have now gone back to orginal plan of moving to Cairo as we have family there, schools vary lots in price in Cairo there are language schools that teach most things in English but run the egyptian national system (£600 GBP per child) be aware though that this is not accepted in UK universities, there are more affordable options such as one school I priced was £6000 GBP per year for all my children Not per child(ages 10, 7,6,and 3) but running the british system, these schools are all in Cairo however and I think options are more limited in the Hurgarda area, the other thing is that in the UK the GCSE exam fees are paid for by the government and in Egypt you have to pay for each exam your child takes on top of the school fees. Please dont let this put you off the move but education is one of the more stressful things I have been looking at for our move and for me my children have to be happy or it just isnt going to work out for us. I have heard of other fmilies that have been in Hurgarda but have had to move to Alexandra or Cairo when kids have gone to university - lots to consider
:)
Hi, thank you very much for all the information, i tell the truth i feel a bit down, my concern is the quality of teaching and also the school has to follow the uk curiculum , if we pay cheaper to get low education then for sure my son will be very disappointed. it is a very hard decision, i am looking forward to move there and try a new life but i hope schools want be an obstacle. i thought about to pay home schooling for them in the uk and they will travel to uk to take their exams, at least uk qualification are recognised everywhere, what do you think about that? when are you planing to move there?

L

Lsab

Hello Linda thank you very much for your quick response, very useful information too.
I vesited the forum as you told me , it is very intersting to meet people sharing your same interest, thank you so much.
salam
You are able to use Private Messaging now and I have just sent one to you. Click on Private Messaging in the top right hand corner, then click on the message that you'll find there.

S

scooby21

Hi dont be disappointed I have heard good reports from some of the schools in Hurgarda, i undestand the school in El Gouna is a good, I think just be aware of all the costs involved as good education will be a large slice of your outgoings, home schooling is an interesting option I thught about it but honestly didnt think it was the right choice for me - i like child free time but I am sure it could be successful. I think as a lifestyle choice Egypt is a great opportunity and we are o the mindset that we will give it a year and if it doesnt work for us then we can Come back to uk and kids can rejoin schools and will catch up - we hope to move summer 2009 it was to be last summer but housing delays meant we had to brave another uk winter and now to go this year things would be too rushed,
just reread your post in egypt the student can take international GCSEs (IGCSE) which are recognised in the UK as being equal I believe and you can take Alevels in egypt also,there is the option of International Barrareate (IB) may be spelt wrong and american dipomia it depends on your childs ability and what route you see them taking in future if University is an option have a look at a local UK university website and check which qualifications they accept for admission - dont be disheartened there are many options

U

um zineddine

Hi dont be disappointed I have heard good reports from some of the schools in Hurgarda, i undestand the school in El Gouna is a good, I think just be aware of all the costs involved as good education will be a large slice of your outgoings, home schooling is an interesting option I thught about it but honestly didnt think it was the right choice for me - i like child free time but I am sure it could be successful. I think as a lifestyle choice Egypt is a great opportunity and we are o the mindset that we will give it a year and if it doesnt work for us then we can Come back to uk and kids can rejoin schools and will catch up - we hope to move summer 2009 it was to be last summer but housing delays meant we had to brave another uk winter and now to go this year things would be too rushed,
just reread your post in egypt the student can take international GCSEs (IGCSE) which are recognised in the UK as being equal I believe and you can take Alevels in egypt also,there is the option of International Barrareate (IB) may be spelt wrong and american dipomia it depends on your childs ability and what route you see them taking in future if University is an option have a look at a local UK university website and check which qualifications they accept for admission - dont be disheartened there are many options
thank you very much to take time and respond to my message, I totally agree with you , i also would like to give it a try, at least I wont say one day I should have tried, and the kids can catch up easily, if the house hopefully will be ready in December i will go there try to furnish the place and at the same time get to know hurgarda and laguna, and maybe the kids will fall in love with the place and they will ask themselves to move there, it is just a matter of time, my son thinks the best place and the best future is in UK, but i am hopping that he will change his mind.

L

Lsab

I feel for them. We've just had a massive hike in school fees and it hurts. I don't know how those with more than one child at school manage. It's not only expats that use the private system in Egypt - a lot of middle class Egyptians, who earn very little, scrimp to afford a good school. My friend has 5 school-age children all at private schools in Cairo. This is going to be awful for her family.

H

hurghadamerican

American Diploma in Egypt

GM43;43052 I don't know if it is possible to go with an Egyptian diploma to university in England said:
what I do know is that in Europe the American diploma is not good enough for universities[/B].
I want to comment here, as this information could be very misleading. The "American diploma" in itself is not even "good enough" for most American Universities. ITS THE SCORE YOU RECEIVE ON THE SAT'S (SCHOLASTIC APTITUDE TEST) which determines which Universities all over the world will accept an American Diploma. The British SAT's are (Standard Assessment Test) which are completely different, its more in line with the American ITBS (Iowa Test of Basic Skills),neither which areUniveristy admissions exams, they are just tests of standard skills.

Let me explain; unlike most European countries which have compulsory education only to about year(grade 10 or 11),America is one of the few developed countries that have compulsory education until you complete high school and receive a diploma.

So it doesn't matter if you receive this diploma and only qualified to become a laborer, mechanic, or hair dresser, you still must receive a diploma. It is the scores on High School S.A.T. that determines which students are university prone or vocational school, not the diploma.

Egypt, like many European countries allow students to attend up to level 8, take a required exam, if they score high enough they are allowed to attend Secondary school, if not they have to attend some vocational schools like jewelry making, plumbing, carpentry, etc.

But the American Diploma in Egypt is ONLY OFFERED TO SECONDARY students, which means they are already on a University Track, and they are all required to take the SAT exams. (which are no where near the same as the British SAT taken after primary school).

So if your 'American SAT scores (comparable to the A-level in the UK) are high enough you can be accepted into just about any Univeristy in Europe.

For example, this is the score on the American SAT need for acceptance into Oxford Univeristy (The top University in Europe). A score of 1400.
(see Oxford US requirements for admission)

And most Egyptian medical students must score at least 1000 on the SAT to be accepted into the Medical and Dental Schools.

So just to reiterate, it is the score on the American SAT that determines if you're accepted into university, not just the diploma itself. Thank God, or otherwise some of these private schools will simply start selling the diploma to highest bidder.:eek:

On average, Egyptian students graduating from American schools in Egypt score around 800 on the SAT, and although they get accepted in most Egyptian universities, this score isn't high enough to get into the top 500 Universities in the world. (The majority of which are in the USA ;) )

One other important fact I want to point out for any British considering swithching their children to the American system in Egypt, and most Egyptian schools have no idea bout this is: The academic levels are not equivalent, in other words, if your child is in year 8 in the British system, it would be Grade 7 in the American system, and NOT grade 8, because the British system counts Kindergarten(5 years old) as Year 1.

Last edited:
V

VICKIG

Hi Cheeky Monkeys,

Your post was removed from the thread but you mentioned that you were opening up an english school?

Could you please provide me with a bit more information, I am looking at moving out to Hurghada soon. My son is not even 2 yet, but am planning ahead and any info would be great.

Thanks
Victoria

C

Cheeky Monkeys

Hi Victoria,
could you please send me an email and I will give you all the details as it is not allowed to directly advertise on this site,
many thanks x

C

Cheeky Monkeys

Please call me on 0168 833 555 and I will give you my email address as this site will not allow me to post it just yet, thanks x

G

GM43

Banned
El Gouna International School
School Fees for the Academic Year 2007/08

1.New students registering for places in the school will be required to pay a non-refundable Registration Fee of US$ 1000.

2.The Fee Rate will be in US$ as following:

New Scheme
(Starting from Sep 2006)
Foundation
$3,675
Year 1 to Year 6 $4,200
Year 7 to Year 9 $4,725
GCSE (Y10-11) $5,250
AS Level (Y12) $6,300

3.New students who have siblings in school will be paying new scheme fees and be having their discounts on the new scheme.

4.The fees should be paid in three stages during the year:

Dates of payment:

* 1st payment 8th September 2007
* 2nd payment 31st December 2007 – post-dated cheques are acceptable.
* 3rd payment 30th March 20085.

5.Bus fees – LE 2200. Full bus fees due should be paid by the 21st June 2007 or a penalty of an additional 20% will be added and there is no guarantee of a place.

6.10% of yearly fees should be paid, non-returnable by the 21st June 2007 by all parents to secure a place for the new academic year. This amount will be deducted from the 3rd Term’s fee.

7.Failing to pay this amount automatically results in the child losing their place in the school for the new academic year and would require parents to re-register their child should they wish to return.

8.Full book fees should be paid by 21st June 2007.

Book Fees:

Foundation 2 $150Year

Year 1 to Year 4 $150Year

5 to Year 6 $180

Year 7 to Year 9 $250

IGCSE (Y10-11) $260

9.All discounts given for siblings will remain as present: 10% for the second child and 25% for the third.

10.The exchange rate should be the bank rate at the beginning of September (Board decision – 21st May 2006).

from their website: http://www.elgounaschool.com/cma/cms/front_content.php?idcat=35

but I've heard that the fees will be higher next year, so when you want to enroll your child in this school, ask about the fees first!