Retirement Visa or Investment Visa ?

Discussion in 'Brazil Property' started by Mineiro, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Mineiro

    Mineiro New Member

    My father will perhaps be moving out here to stay with us for a few months every year and is also interested in investing some money here. What would be the best type of visa for him?
    The retirement visa certainly looks far simpler and of course he meets the age and other requirements. What I'm uncertain about, is if the retirement visa grants the same rights as the investment visa ? Is the retirement visa limited in any way as regards to investments and financial affairs?:confused:
  2. debzor

    debzor New Member

    The retirement visa is by far the easiest and cheapest to get - he can do it all himself before he leaves.

    The main difference is that he cannot actually work on this visa, but all retired folks have investments, right?
  3. Mineiro

    Mineiro New Member

    Thanks for the answer Debzor but what I really want to know is if the retirement visa limits the amount of investments he can carry out here in Brazil as a "pessoa fisica". I don't think that at 75 years of age he's looking for a "bico".:)
  4. debzor

    debzor New Member

    Some friends of mine have retirement visas, and there is no such restriction contained within it.
  5. Mineiro

    Mineiro New Member

    Thanks Debzor. So that means he'll have the same rights as any of us except he won't be able to work?
  6. debzor

    debzor New Member

    Exactly - he can open a bank account, etc, make investments, but cannot do (declare!) any actual work.

    Visit the website of the Brazilian Consulate in his country to download all the necessary details and forms.
  7. Mineiro

    Mineiro New Member

    Fantastic, thankyou.
  8. jeduardo

    jeduardo New Member

    I don't see any stipulation in the law which prohibits a retired foreigner with Permanent Visa from working if they so desire.
    The requirements for applying for CTPS "Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social" are CIE/Permanent Visa or at least the SINCRE Protocol number.

    If this is not correct, does anyone have the statute which prohibits employment by a retired foreigner with Permanent Visa?
  9. debzor

    debzor New Member

    In every country in the world, immigration law is all about protecting jobs in the host nation. By definition a retired person is no longer working, and a working person is not retired.

    This is not rocket science, and really merits no more comments for fear of attracting the wrong attentions...! OK?!!
  10. Billyredbull

    Billyredbull Guest

    How can I apply for my permanent visa in Brazil?
    If you want to apply for a permanent residency visa for living in Brazil then you must satisfy one of the following conditions:

    The administrator, manager or director of a professional or business corporation

    The applicant must already be employed outside of Brazil by the parent company or by an affiliate or subsidiary of the company that proposes to employ him inside Brazil. Necessary documents for the first step will include:

    Proof that the applicant is employed outside Brazil by the parent company, or an affiliate or subsidiary of the Brazilian hiring company;

    Demonstrate that the Brazilian company is bringing in specialised labour that will transfer technology, increase productivity and/or bring social benefits;

    Proof that the company outside of Brazil or its parent has effected total foreign-capital investments of at least US$ 200,000 in the employing company in Brazil for each visa requested.

    Administrator, manager or director of a start-up company

    Planned and recent start-up companies may apply for a maximum of three visas, essentially for the executives who will get the operation off the ground. The following conditions will apply:

    Proof that the non-Brazilian company has been in business outside of Brazil for at least five years;

    Power of attorney granted by the foreign investor to its new legal representatives for the purposes of setting up the company in Brazil;

    A visa of this type will be issued initially for two years.


    A foreigner who intends to remain in Brazil and will invest foreign funds in productive activities, so absorbing or training specialised labour. This category was planned for those foreigners who wish to invest funds (minimum equivalent of R$150,000 - one hundred and fifty thousand Brazilian Reais) in any kind of productive activity in Brazil. This kind of permanent visa is issued conditionally for five years.

    A researcher or high level specialist

    The applicant must supply:

    A document from a Brazilian research institution manifesting its interest in the services of the researcher;

    A curriculum vitae and appropriate academic references and diplomas.


    A retired foreigner, over 50, who will transfer to Brazil the monthly equivalent of at least US$2,000. There is no limit to the number of dependents who may also receive permanent residence visas, but the main applicant must provide proof that they are genuine dependent relatives, as defined in Brazilian law.

    The main applicant must prove he has a pension of at least US$ 2,000 a month. This will entitle him to visas for himself and two dependents. The applicant must demonstrate an additional US$ 1,000/month for each additional dependent, over and above the two already mentioned, and must supply, amongst other things:

    A statement from the foreign agency responsible for paying his retirement pension, informing the total monthly sum;

    A bank declaration authorizing monthly transfer of at least US$ 2,000.

    Marriage to a Brazilian citizen

    A permanent residence visa is granted to foreigners married to Brazilian citizens. Application is made to the Ministry of Justice (normally via regional Federal Police offices) or to a Brazilian Consulate abroad. Evidence (e.g. marriage certificate, statement from witnesses) should be presented of the matrimonial union. Immigration officials can make surprise visits to the couple's home to make sure that the relationship exists.

    Foreigner with Brazilian offspring

    A permanent visa can be granted to the foreign parent of a Brazilian child. Application is made to the Ministry of Justice (normally via regional Federal Police offices) or to a Brazilian Consulate abroad. The offspring should be economically dependent on the foreign mother or father.
  11. debzor

    debzor New Member

    I believe the new standard is minimum age 60 years now?
  12. Billyredbull

    Billyredbull Guest

    You could be right,

Share This Page