Remedies and Relief from Beastie Bites

L

lyndsay552

Everything that has more than two legs has a field day drinking my blood.

I've tried every repellent under the sun and if I miss a bit they ATTACK.

The bites swell to at least 4in x 4 in and I end up looking like the elephant woman.

Prescribed anti-histamine tablets don't work. Is it possible to get injections?

Can anyone help????

Lyndsay

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Lyndsay have you tried anything that has deet in it. Also eat marmite!

People swear by Avons skin so soft as well.

C

CMChris

It has to have DEET in to be effective, have you got the DEET plug ins in your appartment too? To catch the blighters that manage to slip past the door? Garlic and Vitamin B supplements are supposed to help but not too sure how efficient they are. Once you've been bitten stick a poultice on them to draw the beastie saliva out. Animalintex poultices are fantastic for this job but if you're over in the SUN ::::glares::: try soaking bread in cool boiled water and bandaging that down, probably best to do that overnight or you will just get weird looks! Magnesium sulphate works but not as well as a poultice. Try finding another beastie magnet in the hope they haven't got so much repellent on and feast on them instead. :)))

L

Lsab

Last winter....

....in Cairo we rented a flat for a few weeks. Unbeknown to us it was home to a colony of mosquitoes taking shelter from the cold:D - well that's what I assumed. It was freezing there and the first night I got into bed fully dressed, trousers tucked into socks, scarf round my head - only a few inches of face showing......and they found me! They bit my lip, my eyebrow, both cheeks - all new bite places for me. Naturally they left husband and son in peace. I hadn't thought to take anything with me as I'd assumed that they died in winter. Learn something new every day. I'll be following any and all advice on here for future reference. Never been bitten in Bahrain though I have to be careful in Wales!!

L

lyndsay552

The one (s) i use all have deet in but if i miss a spot, like the back of my ankles, i get up the morning after with bites there!

Last time I wasn't too bad, no mossie bites (think it was too cold for them!!) but i got two ant bites on my arm, which where ten times worse. It took about two weeks for them to go away.

I'll have to try a poultice next time i'm bit.

I've heard about the garlic tablets, but wasn't to sure if it was just an old wives tale.

Lyndsay

C

CMChris

If you're getting up in the morning with bites cos they're feasting on you at night get the plug ins. They don't have to be on 24/7 but put them on when you go out in the evening then you can switch them off during the night (long as the windows are shut). They work really well for my mossiedinner hubby when we're at my Dad's in Spain. Failing that, give the appartment a good spray with mossie killer before you go out, that'll zap them. Garlic does work but how effective it is I don't know, perhaps you could be a guinea pig and see how good it is? Dont talk to me about ant bites because they don't care who they bite and they hurt for weeks after, and don't ask me the story behind that comment!!!!

K

kc67

Everything that has more than two legs has a field day drinking my blood.

I've tried every repellent under the sun and if I miss a bit they ATTACK.

The bites swell to at least 4in x 4 in and I end up looking like the elephant woman.

Prescribed anti-histamine tablets don't work. Is it possible to get injections?

Can anyone help????

Lyndsay
Lyndsay I totally sympathise with you as I am the same - If there is a midge or mossie around then it will bite me. When I was in Wyoming on a ranch holiday many years ago, I noticed that the cowboys were using an Avon product to repel the mossies - I think it is called 'Skin So Soft'! anyway they swear by it for repelling mossies but I still laugh about that to this day. Might be worth a try though if all else fails.

L

Lsab

If it's good enough for cowboys it's good enough for me! I'll have to wait until I'm back in the UK in the summer to buy it. Do Avon sell online nowadays?

K

kc67

I think they do sell online - not too sure as I only buy now and again from a local agent. If you get some then let us know if it works for you.

L

lyndsay552

Thanks for all the advice.

We took two plug-ins with us but we had bought them in Thailand, so the wrong plugs!!!

I've just ordered 5 bottles of the Skin So Soft dry oil, so if it works when we go out in April, I'll buy another 20!!

Lyndsay

K

kc67

Thanks for all the advice.

We took two plug-ins with us but we had bought them in Thailand, so the wrong plugs!!!

I've just ordered 5 bottles of the Skin So Soft dry oil, so if it works when we go out in April, I'll buy another 20!!

Lyndsay
hey - leave some for me!! lol. Let me know if it works for you.

C

CMChris

The skin so soft use came about because a film crew filming in Scotland noticed that they were all getting bitten except 1 young lady. She used skin so soft and the mossies veered away from her, so they used hers and it worked! No more mossie bites but I bet it didn't last long. I think there's also a shower gel with the same 'stuff' in.

K

kc67

Hi Chris, Yes, being from Scotland myself I can agree that our midges are pretty die-hard and I should know!! There is also a shower gel and various other bits and pieces in the skin so soft range.
Anyone else tried SSS as a midge/mossie repellent??

L

Lsab

Please Lyndsay, if it works let us know. I actually worry about going to Egypt because of them! I swear the word goes out in the mozzie community as soon as our plane lands. I can almost hear them drooling!!

L

lyndsay552

Please Lyndsay, if it works let us know. I actually worry about going to Egypt because of them! I swear the word goes out in the mozzie community as soon as our plane lands. I can almost hear them drooling!!
Good to see I'm not the only one. My husband NEVER gets biten and I'm sitting like the elephant woman, my body takes the most horrendous reaction to bites of any kind.

Lyndsay

L

Lsab

Snap! In America I once got bitten by sand flies all over my feet, of all places.

K

kc67

Normally its bites and prickly heat for me - best of both!! Anyone got any remedies for prickly heat as well??

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi I suffer prickly heat badly. I now have a few sunbed sessions before I go and when I do this I do not suffer any prickly heat.

K

kc67

Hi I have tried sunbed sessions before going too, but usually after a couple of days the prickly heat comes out. Its murder between my toes and fingers but normally worse all over my chest and shoulders. I usually numb these areas completely with an anaesthetic cream (lanacane) to get to sleep at night.

L

Lsab

Have you tried hydrocortisone cream? You don't need to get it from the GP -you can buy a low strength one from the chemist. I must admit I rarely get prickly heat but this helps when I do. I also use it when my mossie bites are bad and they're way past the Anthisan stage! You shouldn't use it on your face though.