Recommended Hotels/Places to Stay In Egypt?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Best hotel in Egypt??

Hi all

Thought it would be a good idea to get everyones views on what they consider to be the best hotel they have stayed at in Egypt.

Why was it the best, where is it located and average cost of staying at the hotel, ages of travelers etc.

This Im sure then will help fellow TP members when choosing a hotel.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
For a really special occasion it has to be The Oberoi in Sahl Hasheesh; an all suite hotel with King Size Beds, private sitting room, private courtyard, sunken bath and all glass walk in shower. Prices from around 200€ per night room only. De luxe suites have their own private pool and are around 400€ per night.

Next to this would be the Makadi Palace in Makadi Bay or the Intercontinental in Hurghada. For Luxor, the Sonesta takes some beating.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Thats 2 votes already for the Sonesta St George in Luxor. Great hotel, huge chandalier in lobby, great views over the Nile. It really is worth paying the extra for a Nile View room and very romantic watching the sunset on your balcony. It is in an ideal location just a short work to Luxor Temple. This is one of the higher priced hotels in Luxor but worth it. I also stayed at the Morris in Nov - £70 for 3 nights for 2 bed and breakfast. Again good location, new hotel and really lovely inside. Great roof top terrace with pool. Not as lavish as the Sonesta but good 2nd choice.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
we think the Le meriden in Makidi Bay 5*fantastic hotel but a drive away from anything, Le Meriden in Chiro is first class hotel. The WORST Hotel we stayed at was the Promasol Albatros Restort in Hurghada, for a cheap bed and breakfast near to town is La Perla but very basic staff great. Luxor we stayed at the Sheriton great view's of the Nile.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Thanks all - keep them coming worst as well.

My worst has to be Amar Sina in Sharm. Awful place. Advertised as Egyptian style. Dirty, luke warm food not kept on burners, cold fod on tables not covered and not chilled, chcken raw in middle. My daughter and I ate bread and nothing else ( this was all inclusive ) and we spent a fortune on taking taxis to Naama bay and eating out. Drinks in small plastic glasses half with frothy head. Once the large bottles of lager where opened they were left in the sun so the person who got the dregs got a nice warm one. Room small, smelt musty and next to bird aviary that woke us up at the crack of dawn. Really needs a good clean and a facelift. They also keep a monkey and camel and advertise that they have a Zoo

Avoid at all costs...oh and was it a cheapie oh no paid nearly £1500 for me and teenage daughter for a week. Because we booked at the last minute for Easter it was all we could get.

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi People,

I know there are a lot nicer hotels, but for me Shedwan,it's on the beach not a fantastic location but ok,Hotel is clean ,good staff,good all round.
Grand Siva if you want something in the touristic area.
Sea Garden if you want something near Sekalla.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Thanks Wa and Sho.

In Sharm we really like the Marriott Mountain. It is very quiet around the pool ( again not many children screaming so you can relax and read a book without getting soaked from the splashing ).
The rooms are very spacious and the food is very good. We booked B & B in June last year and paid £550 each for 2 weeks.

The Mountain Beach is just over the road and this is where the activities are based hence noisier. They have they own lovely private beach as well. There is a great Italian on site as well as fab Japanese restaurant and Harrys bar which has a show each evening and disco. The staff are fantastic and each time we go back we nip in to say hello and they treat us like old friends. Sadly cant afford it here everytime we go. Prices seem to have gone up.

It is on the prom which is a nice 15 / 20 min walk into Naama bay where all the hustle and bustle is but if you want relative peace then there a lots of bars and restaurants along here to watch the sunset over the sea.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Here are some photos of the Oberoi taken in January last year - fabulous! You are transported everywhere by golf buggy!!

Attachments

queenie40something

queenie40something

That looks fab Peter.

The dearest and best in Sharm is Four Seasons for luxury and 1st class service but you do pay for it. The cost of eating there is horrendous - average £100 for dinner for 2!! Dont think so.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Sho - but how many times in a week do we go out for decent dinner in the UK? When on hols we go out every lunch and evening and to pay that everyday of your holiday I think is ridiculous. But then again if you can afford it why not I certainly would!

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

The Concorde el Salem is nice in Sharm - next to the Hilton at Shark's Bay; but you have to get one of the de-luxe rooms, some of the standard ones desperately need upgrading. The infinity pool and the beach are fabulous. Mubarak has a suite there and when we went Tony Blair had just left.

queenie40something

queenie40something

We stayed at Sharks Bay last October and found it rather isolated for us. There are really no restaurants in walking distance. The Concorde is a large hotel that has various sports including ice rink and equestrian centre.

We stayed at the Hilton Sharks Bay and we were not overly impressed with it. It is rather large and some of the rooms are set out down the bottom near to the beach and there is rather a steep walk up to the restaurant and lobby. No good if you are asthmatic or have walking difficulties. We thought the room was rather small as well. The food was not too good and we got fed up with the constant queues in the restaurant. By the time you got back to your table the food was luke warm. This has now put us off of all inclusive.

By the way how GREEDY are some people. You thought they had never seen food or drink before. I have never been pushed and shoved like that in all my life. Im only 5 foot 5 and 8 stone and I dont have a huge appetite but it takes the biscuit when you are trying to put small amounts on your plate and get pushed out of the way by someone whos plate is piled so high that the food is falling off!!

I have always bought my kids up to try a little and not pile their plates up because it is a waste if they dont like it and if they do they can always go back for more.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Any particular Nationality doing the pushing and piling of plates? I think I can guess!!

J

J4hurghada

Banned
we stayed at the grand tropicana at sharks bay 3 years ago I swam with the dolphins before they moved them (opposite the Concorde). We booked for the following year to meet friends there and 2 month's before we went Going Places moved us to the Nurbian Village further down which was a very good hotel too.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Most of the Hotels in Egypt are very nice, but having your own apartment or Villa is alot better, we found that out in November when we were supposed to be spending 1 week at our apartment and then 1 week at an Hotel. by the 5th day at the Hotel we were back at the Apartment, The only reason we stayed 5 days is that we paid to go out most days on excursions. There is no cueing for food, fighting for tables,sunloungers and having to eat drink and sleep when they say so. 7 of us can not be wrong the Apartment is a much better Holiday. We will never book into an Hotel in Hurghada again now.