Recommendations of trusted agents / developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

--2cents

Hi

I am looking at purchasing property in Hurghada and would like to hear of recommendations of developers/ agents who are trustworthy and helpful throughout the buying process.

thx

J

Janoulaki

Reputable agents / developers

One of the most important elements of buying abroad is to ensure that the estate agent or developer that you're buying from runs a reputable and honest establishment.

Often buyers get caught up in the excitement of the purchase and fail to do the necessary homework. My in-laws decided that since their developer was German, he was an efficient and trustworthy builder. That couldn't have been further from the truth.

If they had simply asked around or even done a search on the Internet, they would have found complaint after complaint about this man. And with a bit more digging they would have discovered that he's been taken to court on several occasions.

Don't let this happen to you!

Many buyers feel like they are beholden to the developers or agents - this is NOT the case. You should be in control...and to be in control, you'll want to take responsibility and determine if the particular developer or agent is going to service you in the best possible way.
Listed below are ways that you can check up on your developer or estate agent.

1. Enter the developer or agents name into the Google search engine at Sometimes you'll get the best results if you put the name in "quotes" such as "XYZ Developers"
Click through every link that mentions the developer in question. You might come across articles or postings that report problems or issues that other buyers have experienced. On the other hand, you might also find testimonials or good reports.
Within Google, you can also go to Groups and enter 'Greek Property'(substitute country of choice) or check out Yahoo! Group. This is a place where people post information about experiences, questions or issues they've experienced.

Check out any chat rooms, forums or message boards that discuss your location or area of choice.

Bad developers/agents cannot hide when it comes to the Internet...If people are upset, they will go to any lengths to help other people to avoid the same problems.

2. If you're buying on an estate that has people who have moved in already AND you have the ability to visit the estate, why not post little flyers through the door saying:
"Hi! We might be neighbours soon...I'm interested in buying on this estate, however before I make my decision, I am interested to know if you've experienced any problems with the developer or agent.

3. Ask for referrals from your agent and if they don't have any, treat that as a major warning sign.

4. Ask the locals what stories they've heard.
If something bad happens, the word often spreads quickly. Don't be afraid to ask your waiter/waitress or a news agent.
As with everything, take what you hear with a pinch of salt. You might happen to ask a relative of XYZ builder about them and they'll say that they're the best...
Or perhaps you're chatting with someone that considers XYZ Estate Agent to be terrible, however if you dig a bit you'll find that the owner is an ex-boyfriend. Hell hath no fury and all that!

You know what I'm trying to say...so I won't harp on about it. Just keep your wits about you...

I have one reputable developer or lets say agent in UK for Hurghada whom I refer all of my clients interested in Egypt.

If you would like to please send me an email

J

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
Reputable Agents/Developers

This is some of the best advice I have seen on the Forum! Very good advice and well worth following up...

--2cents

Wow, some great advice, thanx! The tips on Internet research will come in really handy, appreciate the effort guys.

D

dave99

Comments on Egyptians builders / business

Hi

The forum is here for sharing experience - I'm hoping that by the end of my development I'll have some VERY POSITIVE news on how well the project has gone, being 95% Egyptian, that is where the credit will go.
So far my team have proved at least as good as I would have expected from any UK builder.
However in getting to this stage my experience of Egyptian "business" has been nothing short, lets say "very eye opening", which is where the prevoius comments have come from.
The very simple fact that NO BODY gives receipts or invoices for anything, unless you pay 20% extra that is, and many other "local" arrangements are well known to those who have worked in Egypt much longer than myself.
This I now know to be the "norm", but which is not likely to be known to many people looking for help, hence the notes. I "inspected" many part built projects around Hurghada before selecting my builder and some of the work merits the previous comments regarding building work. Other comments relating to "business practises" I am sure you are well aware of, so please do not be personally offended. My comments relate to the generality not specifics. In the UK there are also many English builders & businesses to be "concerned" about - in fact we have major TV programes that make these traders very public. Is there anything similar in Egypt.

O

orosurf

While I accept your comments about the building trade in general,you appear to suggest that all Egyptians are untrustworthy.This is certainly not the case.
The fact that the UK has television shows about dishonest tradesmen speaks for itself.
I don't think such shows exist in Egypt.
The lack of receipts/invoices is common in many countries,and as I am sure you are aware is often by mutual agreement,both parties wishing to avoid taxes.

What concerns me most is that people coming here to seek information about Egypt might be misled by your "generalisation" and choose to invest elsewhere.

Of course the "if it seems too good" rule applies in Egypt as it does anywhere else in the world.

D

dave99

To trust or not

Whilst this varation on the thread is not totally relevant I think it is worth a few more posts.

On the positive side, myself and my wife are "taken" by Egypt, otherwise we would never have considered even for a 2nd visit, let alone starting a major business. We now have many very good Egyptian friends (Christians by the way). My partner is Egyptian and has never given me any reason to doubt his honesty. My main message is, that even after everything that I'm relating in the forum I STILL believe it's a great place to be.

However what has concerned me, is that no body will write anything down, and this includes lawyers, accounts, the local council, etc. It is just so different to the "norm" in the UK that it makes you feel very apprehensive about dealing with such people, and yes the same is true for some deals in the UK, but it is not the "norm". Another very obvious fact is that when I ask for a price it is often twice the price that is quoted if my partner is asking the same thing - this has been proven many times, and I beleive that this deliberate over pricing to non-Egyptians, what we call "fleecing".

My general advice still is: dealing ONLY with any foreign companies is not a good idea. You must have an English element to the arrangement somewhere in the process that you can rely on, ideally the one that you are signing contracts with. Agents have a role in making the "market" available to potential owners but I would not "rely" on them for much more. Always make personal contact with the developer direct, do NOT work only through the agent. Agents will always paint the "best possible picture" of everything, sometimes through ignorance, sometimes deliberately, sometimes by mistake etc. At the very least they delay things since they are always in the middle and are afraid that they will not get their commission if you are allowed any direct contact with the developer. Agents can provide lots of extra help if you cannot be bothered to do things for yourself and that is often very worthwhile, but it is always a serious extra cost.

Like most things it's a trade off between best value through the DIY approach, and your time.

P

Paul1964

Trusted Agents(?)

Hi all. I too am new at this, but my partner and i are looking to purchase/invest in a property, in Hurghada, called 'Hurghada Village'. It is off-plan, and is due to be complete, in August 2008. We have found a 2 bed apartment, 75sqm, on the 2nd floor, at a price of £26,600, of course this is unfurnished, but with furniture pack, and all legal fees,(that we have been informed of),should come to no more than £33,000. I am currently, liasing with a company called, 'Knight Knox international ltd'. The guy i am dealing with, has been extremely helpful, and 'so far' seems to of answered all the questions that i can think to put to him. He has sent me floor plans, discriptions of the area, i.e. Mosque, School, Garage, etc, and even included the, 'details of airlines, flights, day's they travel etc etc. As well as jpg's of furniture packs etc etc. He is asking for a reservation deposit of £2000. I wondered has anybody out there ever used, Knight Knox??/ and if so, what are your feelings and thought's about this company?? Any replies, no matter how small, good or bad, would be much appreciated. Thankyou. Be safe.

P

Paul1964

3%??

I have been informed that the 3% property tax, although whilst 'in existance' has 'NOT' actually, been applied to anybody's purchase yet!! Is this Right??, or am i setting myself up for an 'unexpected bill???:rolleyes:

D

dave99

Agents / deposit etc

Hi

Seen adverts from this agent and other guests have mentioned them - the size of the deposit is reasonable - the total price seems OK and is in line with others in Hurghada - furniture cost sounds OK but without knowing what's included that's difficult - does your package include air conditioning and ceiling fans, both are essential. Sounds overall to be going well with good info from the agent etc. Are you happy with the annual maint fees (should be between £300 and £400 a year for a 2 bed unit.
The "tax" position is as you state at the moment. Have YOU asked for a copy of the owners deed to the land and if so do you have a copy yet, in arabic and English. Are you happy with all the terms in the contract, particulary the cancellation terms if you are unable to meet your payments. Have you had a lawyer check out the land registry entries for the land you are "sharing". I have no idea about whether this particular development has any "issues" but it is common in Egypt for land to be sold without being able to prove ownership since the land registration process is at best "limited".

A

awahee123

Banned
There is good and bad every where so no one should be offended if some home truths come out on this forum,Just check your agent,builder,developer out,and make sure the development exists,I havent so far heard of anybody losing their money however there is always a first time,just keep a level head and dont buy the first one you see.

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

<b>Official Photographer</b>
Hi
We have found while searching for property here in Hurghada that most construction companies will promise the earth to get you to part with your money,and if there are any problems it is always " god willing " That means you are the one who has to wait,or pay overcosts,or sit back and say nothing " Work with quiet "as they keep saying.
The workers here from the building firms down to the guys who mix the cement (mahara) only listern to egyptians not the foreign buyers.
If you cause them a problem either with complaints about workmanship or the ever increasing costs they shut up shop and say " we dont understand ".
And they will avoid any kind of contract or receipt like the plague,making all kinds of excuses.Just have your wits about you and go off recomendations if you can and ignore the sweet talk, remember its your money they want,and everybody is your best friend oh yes and the big one here is dont be fooled by the fact that they maybe very religious ,remember religion is not a busIness qualification.

Ex-Boltonian living in Hurghada

D

dave99

Any good news !!!

Hi
We have found while searching for property here in Hurghada that most construction companies will promise the earth to get you to part with your money,and if there are any problems it is always " god willing " That means you are the one who has to wait,or pay overcosts,or sit back and say nothing " Work with quiet "as they keep saying.
The workers here from the building firms down to the guys who mix the cement (mahara) only listern to egyptians not the foreign buyers.
If you cause them a problem either with complaints about workmanship or the ever increasing costs they shut up shop and say " we dont understand ".
And they will avoid any kind of contract or receipt like the plague,making all kinds of excuses.Just have your wits about you and go off recomendations if you can and ignore the sweet talk, remember its your money they want,and everybody is your best friend oh yes and the big one here is dont be fooled by the fact that they maybe very religious ,remember religion is not a busIness qualification.

Ex-Boltonian living in Hurghada
You are stating what is already known. The purpose of this thread is to get real knowledge not to pass on the obvious guidelines.

Do have any direct knowledge of GOOD agents and developers !!!

--2cents

Thanks Dave, it would be nice to re-focus on the initial question. Do people have recommendations on Builders/ agents they have used?

The debate about the differences in Egyptian and UK ways of dealings can run on forever, but it would be nice to get some real recommendations from people who have had good (or even bad) experiences.

Thanks again

D

dave99

New owners & Potential Buyers

Any New owners & Potential Buyers out there able to offer some insight into real experience of how they have been delt with by Agents and Developers, whether locally in Egypt or back in their own country.

There must be lots of things that you can share such "hard selling", mis-leading information, super personal service, great viewing trips, fantastic deals, lost deposits, non-delivery, poor finishing quality, etc.

J

J4hurghada

Banned
HI
We got our keys for our apartment in June after buying off plan a year previous. We were previously looking at Sharm but the 99 year lease gave us concern. I did the thing NO ONE should do! looked on the Internet and made a few phone calls. Then took someones word and bought off plan in Hurghada having never been to Hurghada. We handed over a nice deposit still never even gone to Hurghada. The firm which we dealt with seamed to be fantastic keeping us up to date with the build through the Internet and phone when I had any questions. by July 2006 we decided to go to Hurghada and have a look ourselves before handing over the next large sum of money. We were met at the airport by the firm and taken to our hotel, still apprehensive we were told that we would be picked up the next day to view our apartment that was being built.
The following day they picked us up and took us there and luckily it was just like the pictures that I had been following on the monthly update on the Internet, it was a building site but that is what we expected as completion was not till the next year.
We went back again that week and came home feeling very happy to part with the next lot of money.
We visited again this January to see how it was getting on and finally got the Keys in June. Each time we went we were welcomed by the company who picked us up from the airport every time.
Even now after getting the keys the company have there own taxi's, Cleaning service, and own legal service that dealt with the turn on of electric and handover of apartment, they deal with the maintenance of the building and have there own building company.
After reading things on this formus I know how stupid I was to buy without looking, but I was very lucky to find a company that helped all the way and in a place I love alot better than Sharm and no 99year lease.

D

dave99

Great News

HI
We got our keys for our apartment in June after buying off plan a year previous. We were previously looking at Sharm but the 99 year lease gave us concern. I did the thing NO ONE should do! looked on the Internet and made a few phone calls. Then took someones word and bought off plan in Hurghada having never been to Hurghada. We handed over a nice deposit still never even gone to Hurghada. The firm which we dealt with seamed to be fantastic keeping us up to date with the build through the Internet and phone when I had any questions. by July 2006 we decided to go to Hurghada and have a look ourselves before handing over the next large sum of money. We were met at the airport by the firm and taken to our hotel, still apprehensive we were told that we would be picked up the next day to view our apartment that was being built.
The following day they picked us up and took us there and luckily it was just like the pictures that I had been following on the monthly update on the Internet, it was a building site but that is what we expected as completion was not till the next year.
We went back again that week and came home feeling very happy to part with the next lot of money.
We visited again this January to see how it was getting on and finally got the Keys in June. Each time we went we were welcomed by the company who picked us up from the airport every time.
Even now after getting the keys the company have there own taxi's, Cleaning service, and own legal service that dealt with the turn on of electric and handover of apartment, they deal with the maintenance of the building and have there own building company.
After reading things on this formus I know how stupid I was to buy without looking, but I was very lucky to find a company that helped all the way and in a place I love alot better than Sharm and no 99year lease.
Do you have any reason not to share the name of this company / development - I'm sure that they deserve at least a mention for the benefit of others.

.../

J

J4hurghada

Banned
Do you have any reason not to share the name of this company / development - I'm sure that they deserve at least a mention for the benefit of others.

.../
Sorry Dave99

Forgot to put name of company in it was iraida estate agency which are based in Hurghada and run by an English woman and Egypt Man.

Then English side were red sea properties, run by John and Karen based in Derby, Midlands.

cannot put in url address for you but easy to find.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.