Question about the Sunken City, Sahl Hasheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

distant dreamer

Hi everyone,

I read Peter's thread about the sunken city recently - didn't realise the land part will be lit up at night - that sounds lovely.

I've got a question that I'm sure someone here will know the answer! I read the following article a while ago.

"Due to its location on the Red Sea Sahl Hasheesh was an ancient Egyptian trading area. The city of Isis, as it was called, was on the bay and was the main port in ancient Egypt, which flourished for 2,000 years until it sank. The old city of Isis can be seen underwater, it is what we call the Sunken City. Standing on the pier one can look down and see what remains of this once "glorious" place"

I assumed it was all being "built from new", or is the above statement correct that there are some "real" remains to be seen from the pier. I'd be interested to see if anyone knows about this.

Thanks

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
This is a fascinating story (it could almost have been written by an Estate Agent!) but I have not heard it before. It is certainly worth some research to find out although I doubt thaat it will be precisely where the new 'sunken city' is located. Certainly a challenge to the divers out there!! Come to Sahl Hasheesh and discover the ancient city of Isis..

J

J4hurghada

Banned
I have heard about this ancient city under the sea and tried to find the real city under the sea can anyone help in locating it, all I know it it somewhere in Egypt, I have searched the internet and found nothing. PLEASE HELP.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Sunken City Rumours?

It seems that the rumors have been around for a while; this one is off Alexandria on the Mediterranean coast. Any more suggestions?

Saturday, 3 June, 2000, 12:55 GMT 13:55 UK
Divers find Pharaohs' lost city

BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Divers find Pharaohs' lost city

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jamo9760

not been there yet but will be in just over a week so should be able to let you know, hope they have finished the under water city i can't wait to dive it :D have a look here Projects_links2
thanks for that guys.when we were out there in nov,we took a visit down ther and they were working on the sunken city.some parts gad already been installed,you were able to view it off the jetty which had been installed.this will be an excellent feature for the none divers or snorklers amongst us.sunset pearl looks to be in a excellent position as it built on a hill.giving you views all along the bay and future golf corses.

L

Leila

thanks for that guys.when we were out there in nov,we took a visit down ther and they were working on the sunken city.some parts gad already been installed,you were able to view it off the jetty which had been installed.this will be an excellent feature for the none divers or snorklers amongst us.sunset pearl looks to be in a excellent position as it built on a hill.giving you views all along the bay and future golf corses.
Can you say a little more about the sunken city? sounds very exciting

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

The sunken city is a replica of The Temple of Horus from Edfu, which has been photographed in every detail and then reproduced stone by stone in Sahl Hasheesh, partly underwater and partly above the surface. The hardest part, all of the underwater construction is now finished and the remainder, placing the columns on the steel rods which have been sunk in to the coral, should only take a few more months. The concrete pillars have an outer coating of fibre glass on which all of the hieroglyphics have been reproduced in exact detail. The lighting will come from above and below the water and this feature will be absolutely spectacular when finished.

cjtodd

cjtodd

sunken city

Can you say a little more about the sunken city? sounds very exciting
this is a quote from some of the official blurb "At the end of a 250 metre pier below the bay´s crystal waters lies one of the greatest attractions of the development “The Sunken City” a mystical site consisting of ruins and antiquities providing an out-of-this-world diving experience" i can't wait to dive it:D

NeilHollingsworth

NeilHollingsworth

Here are some photographs i took of the sunken city in February.

Sunken city being constructed in Sahl Hasheesh.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.