ad

Property Manager failed to maintain property leading to massive uninsurable bill

T

tiffnspokesy

I have had an investment property in Edinburgh for 8 years but currently live abroad so have a property manager taking care of it. In the middle of 2009 signs of dry rot were evident in the bathroom and as it turns out the source of the rot was coming from our shower tray.
Insurance will not cover the escalating bill (we are looking at £15,000 to replace structural beams, windows, walls etc) as they say there was a lack of maintenance of the shower tray. Our property manager has had his father (general handyman) doing periodic repairs to the shower tray ie. resealing it with silicon as the tray kept dropping allowing the water ingress. When I showed our insurance company evidence of the maintenance they said the shower tray was resealed too often and this should have flagged an alarm with the tradesperson that things were not right with the structure beneath the tray.
So my question is...should the property manager, or his father, be held financially responsible for this disaster? Or is it just one of those risks of owning an old building in historical Edinburgh?? Any comments especially of a legal nature would be appreciated