Problems Getting Refund Following Cancellation

Status
Not open for further replies.
realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
Hi Sue - really sorry to hear you havent got any further - just a thought but may now be worth having a word with Zeiad??
We should shame and ne the lawyer and the agent to warn people here from them don't you think queenie?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi George personally yes I would and think s*d it by now but it is very difficult when you are not in the same situation

L

lovesquadsue

that is exactly my feelings to be honest but i have been warned against it from my solicitor - at least for now til we decide exactly what to do about it. If we decide not to pursue it any further then i will gladly name and shame all involved!
For now - all I will say is if you are thinking of buying a property overseas through and agent in Liverpool who are part of a large group (certainly well known in this area) then speak to me first!

L

lovesquadsue

ps - yes it might be an idea to speak to zeiad - is he based in Egypt or UK?
thanks , sue x

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Sue - thanks for the info. Zeiad also has a partner that is based in London as well.
There is another forum member that is currently having problems getting his deposit back.

L

lovesquadsue

oh dear. its really bad news as could put people off re-investing.... i know it could happen anywhere and not just egypt but still it could put people off....
Which development / area was the other member buying on?

queenie40something

queenie40something

oh dear. its really bad news as could put people off re-investing.... i know it could happen anywhere and not just egypt but still it could put people off....
Which development / area was the other member buying on?
Hi Sue I think it was Regency Beach and the forum member pulled out because of price increase. Hopefully he will get money or answers next week.

L

lovesquadsue

I do hope so - I have had some dealings with Property Hotspots and their solicitors (LAW) who are UK based and everything did seem above board and ok with them. I do hope everything is sorted and they dont have the same nightmare as us!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
I do hope so - I have had some dealings with Property Hotspots and their solicitors (LAW) who are UK based and everything did seem above board and ok with them. I do hope everything is sorted and they dont have the same nightmare as us!
we all hope everything will be ok and the developer I'm sure is smart enough to get people ok and satisfied

S

SuziQ2708

Hi Sue,

Just been reading through some older threads and came across this one. Did you ever get a positive resolve to this?

L

lovesquadsue

No still not recd refund.... turning into a nightmare to be honest. I did contact Zaeid and he asked for all the info but I havent heard anything since so I presumed it wasnt something he could help me with...
Does anyone have a good UK contact who might be able to help us?
We are open to any ideas/suggestions given the length of time this has been going on!

realestatemart

realestatemart

Banned
No still not recd refund.... turning into a nightmare to be honest. I did contact Zaeid and he asked for all the info but I havent heard anything since so I presumed it wasnt something he could help me with...
Does anyone have a good UK contact who might be able to help us?
We are open to any ideas/suggestions given the length of time this has been going on!
Try Philip Moris

L

lovesquadsue

Hi - is this Phil Morris with LAW? If so he did look at things for me a while ago and wasnt in a position to help due to the lawyer who is involved being Egyptian and therefore not protected by the law society....??

L

lovesquadsue

Ah well never mind thanks for the info anyway it was worth checking!

Thanks again

Sue x

R

rossantony

who does the "agent" work for..?

just read through this thread from start to finish..

can someone tell me who exactly the "agent" in any deal represents?

doesn't an agent represent, both the developer and the client?

It looks in this case that the agent is only looking after his own interests by refusing to refund the commission, taking into consideration no contract was signed, and the developer has agreed to refund.

I have always thought it is the duty of the agent to represent their clients interests. If the developer and the buyer have agreed have agreed on a refund, then shouldn't it follow that the agent has settled one clients interests and not the others, and thus failed in his duty to which he is employed?

It looks like the agent is playing poker, and is taking the stance that he would be happy to go to court, rather than pay back the money. If he wanted to pay it back he would of settled months ago.

Is there anyway a buyer can demand refund of money owed, in an official way, without incurring legal expenses?

Sometimes calling somebodys bluff forces the hand.

This is not advice, because its probably wrong to do it, but I would feel like doing three things.

1. Call their sales line, and tell the salesperson you will keep calling their sales line, so they will make no new sales, until they go out of business. That should put a bit of fear into them. Hopefully they will have a freephone number. Keep them on the line as long as possible. Do this Monday mornings. And Tueday mornings..etc

2. Record the conversations. If they are guilty, they will slip up. Once you have evidence of professional misconduct in any shape or form, send them a copy of the recording and hit them with a writ.

3. Ask for compensation for all your expenses, not just what they owe you. Say the commission money, plus phone bill, legals and £20K in personal injury. should be around £25k total...its a scary amount to lose.

It might not get you anywhere but it would give you a warm glow of satisfaction.

regards

L

lovesquadsue

These are my feelings exactly and I feel that we have been totally let down by the agent.

I really really need someone who can advise me on who we need to pursue for the money from a legal point of view. It has been suggested that we should pursue the lawyer as he was the one who was 'looking after' our money and the legal chain would be that we sue him and he sues the agent.... but again its all suggestion and nobody is really sure.....

My second problem then is if we find out that we have to pursue the lawyer because he is an Egyptian Lawyer I am not sure how we would go about this - ie through the English Courts or would it have to be in Egypt...??

So many questions! I think I am going to join the Which Legal Service that someone recommended and see if they can suggest anything. I think it was less than £15 per year so it would be worth taking a chance on!

Sue x

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi just a thought Sue but have you got legal expenses cover with your household insurance? Its worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.