ad

Private Invester on a BTL

P

PaulA123

Hi,

I'm looking for ways that I can structure private finance on a BTL property. I understand how and investor would see a flip as attractive as they would have their money in for less time and get it back plus profits earned on it relatively quickly. In a scenario where the investor would essentially provide the deposit and possibly refurb costs, how would repayments etc be structured typically?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

F

FWL

Surely you would normally agree to repay any investment +agreed interest after the property has sold? Do they not have to take a degree of risk as well?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

So you would be taking a split of the profits/commission in effect?

John Wilson

John Wilson

Hi Paul.. as FWL said, you'd most commonly just repay investment plus profit share at the end, when the property had sold. Here are a few other options (taken from my blog post about JVs):
  • profit share -- when the property is remortgaged or sold then a % of the profit goes to each partner
  • equity share -- this method is common if the strategy is buy and hold
  • roll up the interest -- and pay it out when the deal is sold / refinanced
  • cash flow -- give your partner a share of the monthly cash flow
  • monthly interest -- pay your partner a monthly interest rate
  • one off fee -- appropriate where your partner is not making an investment of money but instead maybe expertise or the ability to get a mortgage (as a mortgage “host”)
  • some other combination of the above.