Power of Attorney

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wannaberich

Does anyone know how to set someone up in dubai with P.O.A to sign a property transfer on behalf of someone else?

F

fws

You need to go to the Dubai court in person - it's near the Emaar Gold Park. You need passports for all parties andhave to get the legal typing done for 150 dirhams in one room. Then you go through to another room and go through rather a convoluted process to get it attested in front of a notary for another 60 dirhams. Strangely enough the attorney doesn't need to be present for the second part. It takes several hours of queueing to get it done.
There may be a way of doing it through the embassy in London as well.

W

Wannaberich

Thanks FWS but I'm in the UK.Looks like I'll have to go through the embassy.

R

revolutionary

Thanks FWS but I'm in the UK.Looks like I'll have to go through the embassy.
I did this a year ago. Rather a painful process and you need to set aside a day to do it. Try to get a suitably worded Power of Attorney - this is the cheap/simple bit since the Dubai agents are likely to provide it for free to help the sale:-

Stage 1 :- Get the Power of Attorney notarised by a local notary - note that this is not the same the 'cheap and cheerful' thing done by any solicitor. This requires an authorised notary public who will have a briefcase full of sealing stamps. If it costs you £5 then you've got the wrong thing! Mine cost £30 cash for the notary to inspect my passport, wathc me sign and then open his briefcase and use one of his special stamps - big rip-off but has to be done!

Stage 2:- Go personally to the Foreign & Commonwealth office in Trafalgar square and get the notarised document 'legalised'. Another cash fee for a bureaucratic stamp and special sticky note. Think this can be done by mail too but add an extra week to the process!

Stage 3:- The easy stage - send or take personally to the UAE embassy in London. Try to avoid one of the many national holidays as the Embassy will not be open . Pay another fee - cash! I chose to take personally since I was already wasting a day by going to London - of course I chose an Arab holiday to do it!!!

Stage 4:- Courier the stamped to death document out to Dubai as there is no reliable recorded postal delivery.

If you can do the whole process for less than £100 and without wasting at least a whole day you are doing well!

W

Wannaberich

Thanks very much Rev.I've only rung one person regards a notarised Power of Attorney
and was quoted £60.With the other costs, plus if I also have to waste a day in London,with all the travelling costs etc,I may as well fly to Dubai and just sign the transfer myself.I have somewhere to stay so why not I guess.

F

fws

If you do go out to Dubai, it may be worth getting one done there whilst you're out there, so that it's ready for future use. If you do decide to do that, the notary's office closes from 1 until 4. We queued outside from 3.40 and it saved a lot of time later as the office was really busy by the time we left. Good luck whatever way you choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.