Portugal *** 3rd in Top 20 best places to make money *** 360% return

J

JMBroad

Well let's hope she is right - but how can you believe her as she doesn't even know that Portugal is not a mediterranean market. Last time I looked it was Atlantic Coast.
Haha that one slipped past me :D

L

l.a.a.s

Hi Luis

Couldn't agree more, with the current volatility of the stock markets, property seems a much safer investment.

And as I mentioned, I love the country, have bought and sold in Portugal before and visit it constantly (two weekends ago I went to Lisbon for a cheeky weekend break).

I'm definately going back to Portugal to live at some stage, just not decided when.

Portugal has so many fantastic things going for it, from the people to the food (even though Tripas à moda do Porto and Cozido à Portuguesa still make me cringe - was introduced to them in a Portuguese school canteen which certainly won't be winning any Michelin stars).

Hi JMBroad

You must taste also "vinho do dão" the wine of the dão lafões region,probably the best wine growing area of portugal.

best regards

luis

J

JMBroad

Hehe Luís, I like Dao but personally I prefer the fruitier wines of the Alentejo - just more my style. I especially like the Trincadeira and Aragonez grape wines (and Bical for white)

Not that there aren't wines from up North which I like, there are many I do - too many to go into posting here about.

L

l.a.a.s

Hehe Luís, I like Dao but personally I prefer the fruitier wines of the Alentejo - just more my style. I especially like the Trincadeira and Aragonez grape wines (and Bical for white)

Not that there aren't wines from up North which I like, there are many I do - too many to go into posting here about.
Hi JMBoad, sorry but i have not been here. I will take your advice and next time i invite a client for lunch i will order Alentejo wine

Best regards

luis
Quinta dos Casais

M

Mamacats

I am with great hopes you are correct
considering we are closing on our second home next week!
so cross your fingers everything goes as plans ;)

B

broomrider

Portugal, 3rd in top twenty.

You are right Manor Park, there are a couple of people on here promoting their business, but I suppose they would. Trouble is they mention a limited area.

We bought a large house In Central Portugal 2 years ago. But we got caught and paid too much. We spent nearly 50 thou on it. It still has potential. But because of the low priced rural area we cant summon the money to even break even. So we are up for sale at a loss. Yes, if we sat it out it would certainly climb, but we have to go home for various personal reasons. Infrastructure is going on all around. Amenities are close. Roads are empty. the views, splendid, the people more so. But there you are, we were green, a brits delight. Take care.

M

manor park

broom rider

Sorry to hear your story and I hope it works out that you dont lose to much. These sites can be a great resource for people but when agents are promoting they should declare that. I dont mind agents trying to sell, we all have to make a living !

Some people come on here to chat with other investors and to chat about there prospects, its when agents do not declare their interest and offer developments as a good tip thats annoying.

If you use these sites alot you can see these but for a casual observer its a minefield.

MP

Last edited by a moderator:
M

manor park

totallyproperty

Thanks for fixing my typo, but you must admit it was funny. I never spotted it at all lol.

MP

B

broomrider

top 10

You do not cover my area. You only cover a part of Central Portugal. It is vast as you know.

Agents like to stay in a convenient travelling distance of their office, which is fair enough. But they should point out that there is plenty more of the area and not say they cover it.

omostra06

omostra06

Well our area is Tomar region, although we do have properties as far north as the Penela, Serta, region and as far south as santerem and some properties on the silver coast too. we do like to only accept properties within an hour of our base, much further and its hard to offer a good service to buyer and seller. too much travelling, not enough local knowledge etc.

L

l.a.a.s

Hi broomder!

It is a fact that the prices are much lower now than 2 or 3 years ago, but there are a lot of issues that an investor has to analyze before take a decision, sometimes in a range of 20km or less we have completely diferent " good will" .
The importance of a forum like this it is to provide accurate information to investors . If you have complaints about a specified area or agent you should put names on it

Best regards
luis
www.quintadoscsais.com

B

broomrider

top 10

Portugal is a stunning place, everywhere. I said so. The people too. I have no complaints about an agent. We didnt have one, we found out later. Just a successful chancer. Power to decent agents elbows. We now have a nasty taste and want to go.

L

l.a.a.s

Hi broo***der

If you allow me, to avoid sell your house losing money, i would suggest you to see with your bank the possibility of a "leasing operation", and than you could wait for the right time.(unfortunatly we don`t make profits when we want, but only when we can).

Best regards
luis
Quinta dos Casais

Last edited:
B

broomrider

top10

We have accepted we made a loss at our own mistake. We can carry it. Its spoilt retirement. You have no idea.

L

l.a.a.s

We have accepted we made a loss at our own mistake. We can carry it. Its spoilt retirement. You have no idea.
Sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best

Best regards
luis

Quinta dos Casais

Last edited by a moderator:
B

broomrider

top 10

Thank you . We shall be fine. The property is going down in UK so that will help. Exchange rate on our side too. :)

omostra06

omostra06

Hi Broom rider, you will probably allready have thought about, renting the property until you can achieve a better price for your house,?

you mentioned that you have the house up for sale and possibly, you will not make any money on it, have you had some good valuations from agents that know what its worth and know how to market a property to get the best price and a quick sale.

I know you mention that we are not in your area,so sorry that we cant help you personaly.
but, perhaps getting an idea of whats really going on in the property market may help you get a better price, a lot of the smaller local agents are full of doom and gloom so when they are giving valuations, some are way lower than what can actually be acheived, we recently sold a period property for a fair market value, (100,000 less than some other agents had valued it) but the local 2 agents had said that the owner couldnt give it away in the currant market, obviously they were wrong, some agents just dont know what things are worth and what price can be achieved, might be worth getting another couple of valuations from good professional agents, get the correct market value and you might just come out of it with some profit for your hard work!

L

lena green

Hi there, this is a warning, please stop telling eveyone how great Portugal is.

There are 2 million people in the UK looking for homes abroad and if they all came here ( I live here) I would never be able to get served at the bar!!

Yes, we do have fab beaches, but please keep it a secret they`re full enough already and don't tell anyone about our fish restaurants, fresh caught delicious but not enough to feed two million.....and our sunshine is permanently out...........out of the question for foreigners as we want to ourselves.
And our wines, 6 euros for a six day bender, keep it under your hat, you'll be alcoholic in a month......but you'll develop a great pallet.
Our villas, apartments and golfcourses are for us, not to share, so please don't come to live here as I hate waiting to 'T 'off and don't want you livin' next door to me unless your nice. (which you probably are but I`m in the bar and don't have the time to get to know you).

Coming to live in Portugal is not an easy transition so give it some serious thought. You will have to forsake things you are accustomed to which could cause great stress on you, think carefully.
You will be living without your current job and will have to get used to lying on the beach all day (not easy). You will have to adjust to cheap alcohol (difficult) you will have to drive very carefully, we have no speed cameras, you'll really miss your home being broken into regularly (we can help you there). Your rubbish will be removed so regularly, they take it away before its put out, as much as you like and I know you will have a problem with this. The low taxes will bamboozle you, you'll think the friendly people are after something, they are......your friendship nothing more and you won't believe you get change every time you tender a tenner....lots of it.
So, with all these difficulties, I suggest you all stay away from Portugal its a best kept secret which we are'nt telling anyone about, especially that Sir Cliff Richards has been here since the sixties, grows his own wine and is a great hit. He's on a permanent 'Summer Holiday' and so am I. There just ain't no space left. Go Away.

B

broomrider

Sorry, but I find beaches boring after just a short while. I couldnt be bothered to frequent a bar. Forested hills and views for me, inland an hour or so . Rivers and secluded waterfalls, views to die for. Good job we are all different. So I wont clutter your bar.