La Strada

Hi all Sharmers

Pottery Cafe / Bistro is now open at La Strada Nabq. Eg of food on offer
Ostrich Steak
BBQ Baby Chicken
Pasta
Pizza
Nachos etc

Also Nathans ( Famous Hotdogs but must admit I havent heard of them - but then again I cant stand hotdogs ) has also opened at La Strada
Hotdogs
French fries
Onion Rings
Hamburgers
Pizzas etc
Found this website about Nathans Nathans

Georgina

Georgina

My favourite restaurant in Hurghada is Felfela. Go to the end of Sakkala where Papas is and the road goes up the steep hill for Esplanada etc. but ignore this road and take the left road along the coast. You will see Felfela on the left hand side and the views over the turquoise sea and sandy islands are stunning. The menu is Egyptian and the whole style and charactor of the decor is charming. A lot of new property going up on this road also enjoying the best views in Hurghada.

As for El Gouna you are spoilt for choice. The Smugglers English Pub at the back of the marina just before the Duty Free shop if you want to chat with other Brits living and buying property here (plus I work there Sunday nights :) ). I love Tandoor for Indian, White Elephant for Thai, Le Deauville for French, Thomas for pizza, La Scala for pasta, La Rotisserie tower at the Steigenberger Hotel for special occasions, the Steigenberger Hotel buffet for value, quality and service but drinks are very expensive. Hedra is good for seafood, Boxers for English roast in the winter on a Sunday, Garos snack stop for Lebanese take-away. I hear the new Vietnamese is good too.

But I live here and find it all very expensive so the best is my home cooking :cool:

M

M Butler

Georgina,

I agree with you about being spoilt for choice in El Gouna. What about the Moroccan restaurant in El Gouna? The food is excellent and the bread is to die for. Garo's is excellent value and the food is great and they do home delivery. The Vietnamese restaurant is absolutely brilliant and the chef grows her herbs in her own garden and is trying to grow more produce herself.

Is there a good bakers, patisserie in El Gouna?

Margaret

Last edited:
R

rossantony

my faves (hurghada)

1. bulls > best t-bone steak in town when youre feeling flush.. and fried rice or spag bol when your skint
2. felfala > ok so you order tamia, stuffed with meat, egg or plain, beetroot salad, tahina, baba ghanoug, and a kebab to share..stuff your flat bread with the tamia, salad and tahina to make sarnies..awesome!
3. the new egyptian two down from bulls next to elysee apartments > possibly the longest name for a restaurant but i cant remember what its called..more cairo style cooking..infact the owner has a restaurant in cairo..the meatballs are the best ever, in the world..and the saugages..dont over order on the mezze, the portions are huge and its so good you wont leave room for your main course..try rabbit or pidgeon..and 10 points to the first to remember the name.
4. the thai at Siva Mall > classic thai, has open wall at back of restaurant, for a lovely breeze..so bring deet spray and were socks and longs or get bitten by mossies..
5. Starfish > the owners of starfish are the fish buyers in hurghada and so supply all the other restaurants..its fresher and cheaper so why would you want to go anywhere else?? the way to do it here is to go in a large group and order the works, this way you get to try everything..choose your shrimp and fish on your way in..forget the lobster..its to small here in hurghada, and they cant do it justice.

S

SuziQ2708

Hi all here is Boxers Bar in El Gounas website BOXERSBAR.net - Home

Love the sound of this place, we'll definately check it out and report back on the forum! One thing we have found difficult whilst in Egypt is food. Although it's always presented extremely well, we've always found when it comes to eating it there's a lot to be desired. Pasta and salad becomes very boring after 3 or 4 nights in a row. Unfortunately, we're not fish eaters and not crazy about the food chains (KFC, McD's etc.) either :rolleyes:

S

SuziQ2708

My favourite restaurant in Hurghada is Felfela. Go to the end of Sakkala where Papas is and the road goes up the steep hill for Esplanada etc. but ignore this road and take the left road along the coast. You will see Felfela on the left hand side and the views over the turquoise sea and sandy islands are stunning. The menu is Egyptian and the whole style and charactor of the decor is charming. A lot of new property going up on this road also enjoying the best views in Hurghada.

As for El Gouna you are spoilt for choice. The Smugglers English Pub at the back of the marina just before the Duty Free shop if you want to chat with other Brits living and buying property here (plus I work there Sunday nights :) ). I love Tandoor for Indian, White Elephant for Thai, Le Deauville for French, Thomas for pizza, La Scala for pasta, La Rotisserie tower at the Steigenberger Hotel for special occasions, the Steigenberger Hotel buffet for value, quality and service but drinks are very expensive. Hedra is good for seafood, Boxers for English roast in the winter on a Sunday, Garos snack stop for Lebanese take-away. I hear the new Vietnamese is good too.

But I live here and find it all very expensive so the best is my home cooking :cool:

We're coming over to El Gouna on 18th July for two weeks Georgina, I'll try to remember to look you up in Smugglers on the Sunday night so we can arrange for you to cook us one of your lovely roast dinners LOL

Georgina

Georgina

Is there a good bakers, patisserie in El Gouna?
Margaret
If you are in the marina then Seven Stars Cafe sells wonderful bread and deserts to die for. Best place to order birthday cakes too.

Downtown there is a very good bakery next to the Foul House just past the old Ebaid supermarket which has been knocked down.

Georgina

Georgina

We're coming over to El Gouna on 18th July for two weeks Georgina, I'll try to remember to look you up in Smugglers on the Sunday night so we can arrange for you to cook us one of your lovely roast dinners LOL
It would be great to see you in July. Sadly I can never get to Boxers for their winter Sunday roasts because I am working in Smugglers. We only sell drinks there (and because of the licence only Egyptian alcohol and not imported).

And I only have three gas rings at home and no oven which is fine but do I miss roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, roast beef, roast parsnips.........................................

S

SuziQ2708

It would be great to see you in July. Sadly I can never get to Boxers for their winter Sunday roasts because I am working in Smugglers. We only sell drinks there (and because of the licence only Egyptian alcohol and not imported).

And I only have three gas rings at home and no oven which is fine but do I miss roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, roast beef, roast parsnips.........................................

Tell you what Georgina, I'll cook a roast specially for you, put it in a box, wrap it in bubble wrap and stuff it in my suitcase :cool:

M

M Butler

Love the sound of this place, we'll definately check it out and report back on the forum! One thing we have found difficult whilst in Egypt is food. Although it's always presented extremely well, we've always found when it comes to eating it there's a lot to be desired. Pasta and salad becomes very boring after 3 or 4 nights in a row. Unfortunately, we're not fish eaters and not crazy about the food chains (KFC, McD's etc.) either :rolleyes:
The restaurant in El Gouna are very good. Try the Moroccan, the Vietnamese, La Scala, Garos Snack Bar and there is a small fish restaurant beside the Greek Restaurant. Don't know it's name but the fish and chips are very good. Not British fish and chips but still very good. We still have a good many places still to try but we will have plenty of time in the coming months.

Bon Apetit.
Margaret

S

SuziQ2708

The restaurant in El Gouna are very good. Try the Moroccan, the Vietnamese, La Scala, Garos Snack Bar and there is a small fish restaurant beside the Greek Restaurant. Don't know it's name but the fish and chips are very good. Not British fish and chips but still very good. We still have a good many places still to try but we will have plenty of time in the coming months.

Bon Apetit.
Margaret

Yes, lucky you Margaret :) I'm sure we'll have fun trying them out, 14 nights of it anyway. We've opted for B&B at the Movenpick so we're not restricted to eating there. Fish and chips egyptian style sounds good to me :p

V

vix

Do you kno u can get a fellafel with pickles for 10p, and a bottle of Sprite for the same. Not recommended tho, food hygiene is not high on the agenda

R

rossantony

half a cow..

Has anyone good (or bad) recommendations of places to eat in Hurghada.

We ate in a few different places. The Hardrock Cafe was really good food, if a bit expensive compared to other places but the fajhita's where to die for.

We also went to a lovely Italian restaurant called La Luna, near the Iraida offices. The prices where excellent and the steaks beautiful. I think it was 780 LE for a steak that was half a cow!! Worth every penny.

Any other suggestions

Lyndsay
for 780le it must be half a cow!!

my top 5 listed earlier!

it does sound like Sbarro down the steps they are an egyptian chain..

also number 6 on my list "Romantico" in esplanada mall. egyptian/french nouvelle cuisine.

Georgina

Georgina

Some Gounie friends and me today at Felfela. 40 degrees, no clouds, did someone say it is raining in the UK? :rolleyes: The construction further along the road with the amazing views has all sold out but they are selling more they say is a 20 minute walk up the hill behind at Egyptain Kuwaiti Real Estate & Touristic Investment Co. - Home . No further information about these guys. It was just that we were passing and being nosey.

Attachments

D

danny

Yes, lucky you Margaret :) I'm sure we'll have fun trying them out, 14 nights of it anyway. We've opted for B&B at the Movenpick so we're not restricted to eating there. Fish and chips egyptian style sounds good to me :p
I may be a bit sad, but I was at the opening of the New Marina resort last night and had Fish & Chips at Pirates, it wasn't Harry Ramsdens but it was a welcome treat and very enjoyable. The Marina Complex is open to anyone and has many bars, restaurants, coffee shops and boutiques. Well worth a night out.

Danny

queenie40something

queenie40something

Kona Kai Marriott

Here are some pics I took last week of Kona Kai Teppankyaki tables at Marriott Beach hotel Naama - again best meal we had. There is also 1 of their beach restaurant and their beachside pool.

Attachments

R

Red Sea Way

there is an Italian Resturant beside La Parle Hotel , its really nice italian food