Paying Stamp Duty Tax for a property abroad



New Member

If you need to buy a property in the UK and you own a property abroad, what documents in relation to that property do you need to present to be able to pay the Stamp Duty tax? Also, if you sell the property abroad and therefore have to pay Stamp Duty tax only for not being a first time buyer (but not for owning a property abroad) what documents do you need to present in order to certify that at some point you have owned a property abroad?

I know that if laws were logical self-declarations would be enough in both of the cases above, but in some countries (hopefully not in the UK) laws can be very illogical.

Thank you.