Party Wall Repairs

I

idamante

Hello,

Not sure this is the right section where to post so please move it if needed.

I live in a flat in a converted terraced house (three flats in total and share of freehold).

A few days ago, I noticed that parts of the party wall rendering between our building and the one next door came off and were creating a potentially dangerous situation. I had them removed but the rendering is badly cracked and this might happen again so needs fixing asap.

I spoke to the other flats’ owners and they are stating that as this is a party wall the people next door have to contribute towards the cost of repairs as well. I had a look into it and it seems they are correct so I got in touch with the Housing Association managing the building next door. At first, they seemed very on top on things but after a couple of weeks I can see that the situation is going nowhere. Historically they have been terrible: we have suffered from massive damages in the past from them as they did not act upon a water tank discharging water on our building structure 24h a day for more than a year. Anyway, this is another story.

I would be up for fixing the party wall myself but I cannot afford to pay for it as scaffolding needs to be erected and it will cost quite a bit of money. They other leaseholders do not want to pay for the full repairs as they say that we already suffered a lot of damage in the past and the Housing Association cannot go scot free once again.

My questions are:

• Is it correct to assume that the party wall repairs are to be shared between our building and the one next door? The rendering came off our side of the wall.
  • If this is correct how can we make the HA accountable and act on it? Anyone with previous experiences?
Thanks a lot.

D

Dora Wi

From what you wrote it indeed sounds like your building and the one next door are both involved in fixing it.
As for the HA I don't have any experience with them, but as this is not the first time they have been neglectful, would it be possible to take legal action, or at least consult a lawyer on the matter?

I

idamante

Thank you for your reply Dora Wi. I was thinking about getting in touch with a lawyer but it seems that things are now moving forward. FIngers Crossed they do not get stuck again

D

Dora Wi

Thank you for your reply Dora Wi. I was thinking about getting in touch with a lawyer but it seems that things are now moving forward. FIngers Crossed they do not get stuck again
That's good to hear, I'm rooting for you, I hope everything goes smoothly from here on.