palmela village

S

sparkey

hi, im new to all this so please bear with me. its just i invested in an apartment at palmela village in aug 07. does anyone have any recent updates on this development. thanks

D

deek

Palmela Village Golf Resort-Anyone Buy?

Hi Sparkey,
I am currently doing a tour of chat forums etc trying to find people who have bought a palmela property. My husband and I are a little anxious at this stage.
We purchased in summer 2006. Heading out there for the first time this june and but anxious as bringing 2 very young kids along so hoping it isn't a concrete jungle.
I recently emailed for information...pretending to be a prospective buyer and they replied with photos and plans etc. I was given a completion date of 2013!!!!...in this email. My husband and I had been given a 2010 date. I can email you on that info if you like. Also i can keep you informed once we get out there, will take photos of the place etc and check out what stage everything is at.
Looking forward to hearing back from you.
D

S

sparkey

Great to hear from u D. The completion date they gave us was May 09. Did u buy an apartment on phase 2 with smimming pool between 8 apartments. We were there last year, Aug 08 and they had not started any of the town house apartments. They were working on the pool area which has now been finished and looks very nice from the photos on the internet. It would be great to hear from u after your trip. I dont know if you are allowed to exchange e-mail addresses on this forum but it would be great to see photos of the site. all the best for now.
Sparkey

N

nashy

Hi to both of you,

I was out in Palmela in February. I bought an apartment there. It was open and functioning but at a basic level. Most of the facilities were not open e.g. golf, bar, etc. I spoke with a guy in the sales office and he told me that most facilities will be ready for the tourist season. There were a few people around in feb but overall it was pretty quiet. I was initially given a completion date of 2009. Following my visit it appears to me that it will take more time than that. Hoping to go back in September for another look to see the progress. Keep me updated if you get any more info from your visit.

Thanks
Nashy

D

deek

Palmela, palmela!

Thanks for your replies. Good to hear you both have been out there! We have been a bit brave and not visited at all..kept meaning to but didn't get chance so now we are braving it with kids in tow! I have added the email i got back from palmela when i was pretending to be interested in purchasing....

"First of all, I would like to thank your contact.

Palmela Village it’s a four star golf resort, designed by a well known Portuguese architect called Tomás Taveira. The resort will have commercial facilities and leisure areas, such as: supermarket; health club; spa; tennis courts; restaurant/bar; laundry services; medical assistance; natural pharmacy; pastry shop; tobacco and magazines shop, etc. as well as several services like resort reception; events organization; babysitting; 24 hours security; reservations – restaurants; cinemas; rent-a-car service, etc.

The prediction for the resort completion is 2013. It’s a huge resort and we need to construct all the areas by phases.

We have one of the communal pools complete, with bar/restaurant service, and will be open for the summer. We also expect to open the golf course in September. But, if you are a golf player, you can play in other golf courses of the region, about 15 minutes from the resort, and benefit for the special prices with the agreements that we have been arranged for our clients.

Concerning the apartments, we have studios (T0) and one bedroom (T1) in the blocks, and also T1 and T1+1 with semi-private swimming pools, private gardens and parking spaces, the townhouse apartments. In all of them we have the rental guarantee in witch you receive a percentage of the purchase price in the first years, depends on the product you buy, and they also come completely furnished and equipped. Please see, in attach, some plans and photos."

This all sounds quite promising except the 2013 completion date! I will find out when out there what parts are to be completed next etc and when the complex is to be opened to the public.
We are 9 months into the 3 years of guarnateed rental and don't fancy having to pay the full mortgage with little chance of renting it out if the complex is uncompleted. I wonder what are the chances of renting even when all is completed...hopefully the recession will be well gone by then!

Looking forward to your replies.

D

D

deek

Palmela, palmela!

Sparkey,
Forgot to say that we bought off stage 1 plans so ours are presumably completed. We bought a one bedroomed with adjoining studio.

H

hopeful

palmela update

we bought through ***, which has turned out to be a disaster!
Although we were reasonably happy with the development last year when we saw some pictures. We are due to complete March 2010, however as of Xmas no work had started on our apartment, not sure what to make of this (although i know thay can build quite quick once they start)
Any picture updates from other purchasers would be great.
It's take me ages to find a forum for Palmela!

D

deek

Just back from palmela

Hi,
Just back from palmela since sat nite. Thankfully we are happier coming home than before we went out and when we arrived.
The complex itself is huge which is overwhelming at first as it looks like it will never all rnt. However most of it is villas alot of which have been bought by private Potuguese families so they are living on site all the time which is good. The golf course looks great and is ready to open. The club house is being completed so it will open in September. The pool opened 2 weeks ago...thank God! It is perfect and has a children's pool aswell. The pool bar/cafe/restautant is opening on the 10th of july...this was just confirmed while we were out there. It wasn't great initially as there is absolutely nothing open on site at the minute except the pool. Palmela village outside the resort is quite dissappointing...actually it is called Quinto d'ago or something like that...the resort isn't exactly in Palmela as they describe. It is a very very very old village with few facilities. But we found our way around other areas and eventually got used to it all!
What block are you in and we might be able to give you some information. All the apartment blocks are finished (one block just about completed my husband tells me!) and the townhouses are due to commence by the end of the year. The plans for supermarket, spa, hairdressers etc seem to be on hold at the minute. There is definetly a shortage of money but that is everywhere these days and there are still people buying...the sales office is on site and we it is kept busy.
Pelicano themselves have built alot in the area and seem quite successful so we are feeling more positive. The plan is for everyone to get their 3 year guaranteed rental...we are recieving ours since january and then they will pool all of the rental together and everyone will get a percentage of the total amount made. We are happy enough about this as it means we won't be left high and dry come the end of the 3 years. Providing they get rented etc. But again we are happier now and other families that we met were all more positive by the end of their stay.
Im not sure if there is a private message facility on this site but if so you can give me your email address if you like. My husband and i will be setting up a blog and hopefully everyone will be able to find it easily through google. in the meantime i have been gathering addresses and have been asking people to update everyone once they return from a visit. The majority of the apartment owners seem to be Irish so between us we will be able to keep an eye on things.
Hope this helps.:)

S

sparkey

Glad to hear from you again deek and that u had a good time. i think it is an area where at the moment u would need a car until the resort is finished. i saw some beautiful beaches at setubal on the internet which is not that far away and Lisbon is a great city. my e-mail address is and it would be great if you could send some photos

sparkey

S

sparkey

we bought through ***, which has turned out to be a disaster!
Although we were reasonably happy with the development last year when we saw some pictures. We are due to complete March 2010, however as of Xmas no work had started on our apartment, not sure what to make of this (although i know thay can build quite quick once they start)
Any picture updates from other purchasers would be great.
It's take me ages to find a forum for Palmela!
we bought through *** , as well. have'nt heard much from them since, but not too worried as long as pelicano do the business. We bought a townhouse apartment which was to be finished for May 09. We have set our sights now for May 10

C

catchflame

We bought in PV in nov 2004 with completion date spring 2006. We occupied the house in December 2006 with no street lighting, no made up roads, a generator for electricity and no garden. We've been back many times since then and are happy with the house. What we are not happy with is Pelicano. This company is a nightmare! Particularly communication with them is hopeless. They don't respond to emails and if you phone their office in Lisbon, they're never there and the telephonist speaks such basic English, there's no point leaving a message. They wouldn't call you back anyway.
I don't think they're deliberately underhand or devious, it's just basic incompetence. For instance, they built the golf course in 2005/6 but forgot to include a driving range which, I understand, is essential for any self-respecting golf resort. The course is always fantastically maintained but they only got around to building the clubhouse this year! Surely its common sense to open the golf course first, then sell the houses? If you mention any of this to Pelicano, its usually the local council's fault!
Having said all that, we are very happy to be there and believe that the development will sort itself out in the long run, despite Pelicano and certainly not because of it.
By the way, the best way to get action out of Pelicano is to threaten to sue them - that usually produces instant results! Also, I didn't use the lawyer recommended by Pelicano but used one of the large commercial practices in Lisbon - expensive but a good investment in the long run.

G

ggc

We bought in PV in nov 2004 with completion date spring 2006. We occupied the house in December 2006 with no street lighting, no made up roads, a generator for electricity and no garden. We've been back many times since then and are happy with the house. What we are not happy with is Pelicano. This company is a nightmare! Particularly communication with them is hopeless. They don't respond to emails and if you phone their office in Lisbon, they're never there and the telephonist speaks such basic English, there's no point leaving a message. They wouldn't call you back anyway.
I don't think they're deliberately underhand or devious, it's just basic incompetence. For instance, they built the golf course in 2005/6 but forgot to include a driving range which, I understand, is essential for any self-respecting golf resort. The course is always fantastically maintained but they only got around to building the clubhouse this year! Surely its common sense to open the golf course first, then sell the houses? If you mention any of this to Pelicano, its usually the local council's fault!
Having said all that, we are very happy to be there and believe that the development will sort itself out in the long run, despite Pelicano and certainly not because of it.
By the way, the best way to get action out of Pelicano is to threaten to sue them - that usually produces instant results! Also, I didn't use the lawyer recommended by Pelicano but used one of the large commercial practices in Lisbon - expensive but a good investment in the long run.

Hi catchflame

hope I'm doin this properly. We bought a studio and 1 bed in the first stage development we're in block A6. We bought thru a company in ireland which has now gone to the wall. We've been out to visit (April this year) and met up with another irish purchaser. We've received the rental as promised but the 2nd payt was very late, no explanation, no apology etc despite emails etc, buth next payt came in on time.

Was fairly pleased with the finish in the apts except for no attachment for the shower!!!!! We found the staff pleasant to deal with, but they wern't very forthcoming with info re facilities and stuff that we thought should have been supplied without us having to ask for eg kettle, iron etc.

The maid service was great. We're heading back over in September and are looking forward to hitting the bar!

G

ggc

Hi Deek
Did you set up your blog re palmela. Was there in April heading back in September

D

deek

Hi GGC,
A work in progress! I got an email from one of the ladies who works in Palmela. We befriended her and I have conveniently kept up email contact and thankfully she is keeping us updated. The Pool bar was due to open on the 10th but did instead last Friday. The clubhouse is under way and is due to open in septmeber all going well.
I also set up a forum on tripadvisor if you want to take a look. It is also possible to send me a private message there with your email address. There is a few of us updating each other as we visit etc. There is one gentleman there at the moment so it will be interesting to see how he has found it.
We might try and pop out in September aswell if flights are reasonable etc.

G

ggc

Hi Deek will do that, I'll also forward this info to lady i met out there in April, obrigada!

L

Lysos

ggc, interesting that you are getting a rental return on a property with no shower "rental scheme" this just proves you are simply getting your own money back (factored into the purchase price).

L

Lysos

Apologies - my previous post does not make sense & the site will not let me edit it.

G

ggc

We have the shower, but there's no hook on the wall. I probably wasn't making much sense myself! It was quite late last night! You are prob quite right in that the rental is factored into the purchase price, but we were very green when we purchased them, but we can't do much about it now. At least it's coming through. We will just have to see what happens when the 3 years are up. However I have seen studios and apts for sale in palmela at higher prices than we paid.At the end of the day we love portugal esp the lisbon area and we have a base for when times improve and we are now much more experienced. A good if expensive learning curve!

L

Lysos

ggc, good to hear that you have a realistic & positive view of the situation. I'm an Eastern Algarve fan myself. Good Luck !.