ad

One or Two Bedroom Flats

A

Anon Private

I need a one-bedroom flat, but, from an investment point of view, if I can afford two bedroom apartment, should I consider this purchase?

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
I need a one-bedroom flat, but, from an investment point of view, if I can afford two bedroom apartment, should I consider this purchase?
Hello, welcome to the forum :)

Rather than looking at the number of bedrooms as the deciding factor, I would focus on the yield, the ROI and the local rental demand. Which area are you looking in and who is your target tenant market?

A

Anon Private

Thank you for responding.

I am looking for a flat to buy and use as my permanent home.

I was wondering if a two bedroom apartment would be a better investment longer term, compared with a one bedroom flat.

Best wishes.

A

Anon Private

Is it better to buy a one or two bedroom flat in terms of investment of capital

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
In general I would say go for the best investment you can afford which to me would be a two bedroom flat. However, much will depend upon the area the flat is located. Whereabouts is the flat located?

A

Anon Private

At the moment I am looking at property in Saltdean (nr. Brighton) and Peacehaven (nr. Brighton).

Further, I am considering bungalows. The debate is between Saltdean and Peacehaven as locations, and leasehold flats vs. freehold bungalows.

In my opinion, Saltdean is a better area, but then the properties are more expensive (unsurprisingly)

I could afford a flat in either Saltdean or Peacehaven, but only a bungalow in Peacehaven, as Saltdean prices are considerably more expensive. I prefer Saltdean. I have noticed that there are some properties in Peacehaven that are reasonably priced, but frequently they are in need of modernisation

Do you think that, at present, it is a buyers' market?

Best wishes.

R

realdeals

In general there is a lack of stock for sale across the country but it does vary from area to area. I would guess that a flat would appeal to a wider market for rental purposes than a bungalow? Personally I would tend to go for the higher quality, more expensive, property if you can afford it. However, if the long term prospects are better for the area offering cheaper property then you would need to consider the pros and cons of each and make a decision based on long term rental and capital appreciation prospects.

A

Anon Private

When buying flats, what is r regarding leaseholds, and leaseholds that include a share of the freehold. Are there disadvantages regarding the latter?

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
When buying flats, what is r regarding leaseholds, and leaseholds that include a share of the freehold. Are there disadvantages regarding the latter?
I've answered that on another thread for you... please try to keep topics on the same thread

Posted via the Property Forum mobile app

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it better to buy a one or two bedroom flat in terms of investment of capital
I personally would say the more bedrooms the better! You can also then covert them to HMOs (or Houses in Multiple Occupation). This is where you rent out the bedrooms to different tenants. This can significantly increase your rental income. You can also convert reception rooms to bedrooms... so the right two bedroom flat could easily become a 3 bed HMO property.

Also the price doesn't tend to go up in line with the number of bedrooms meaning the more bedrooms there are the better value a property investment becomes.

Worth considering...

Posted via the Property Forum mobile app