NY Times Article On Dubai Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sonofthedesert

You've gone off the subject.I am talking about the article from the NY Times
and how they have taken alot of their info from other publications.Lazy journalism.
As for these thousands of empty apartments,there were thousands also empty 6 months ago,1 year ago,18 months ago.

Dubai is in big trouble which I havent denied and it will probably get worse before it gets better.
What aggravates me however is the crap western newspapers print without
doing any of their own research.
Were there really 3000 cars left at the airport?Doubtful.
Dude.
Somehow I doubt the NYTimes is guilty of shoddy journalism in this case, but you are free to read and believe whatever you like. I'm sure the local papers are so much more reliable about what is going on :rolleyes: That is what free choice and freedom of the press is all about. Oh wait. They don't have those rights in much of the Middle East!
You obviously have some sort of anti-Western or perhaps even anti-Zionist agenda here with your comments. You are entitled to that, but this forum, in my opinion, is not about that and you should reserve such vitriol for more appropriate venues.
Discussion over.

Last edited:
W

Wannaberich

Somehow I doubt the NYTimes is guilty of shoddy journalism in this case, but you are free to read and believe whatever you like. I'm sure the local papers are so much more reliable about what is going on :rolleyes: That is what free choice and freedom of the press is all about. Oh wait. They don't have those rights in much of the Middle East!
You obviously have some sort of anti-Western or perhaps even anti-Zionist agenda here with your comments. You are entitled to that, but this forum, in my opinion, is not about that and you should reserve such vitriol for more appropriate venues.
Discussion over.
Sorry for trying to discredit your beloved NY Times.If you're that sensitive perhaps you should keep of this forum.
In this case I'm afraid they are very much guilty of 'shoddy journalism'.
I hope this is not the norm for them.
As for local papers being more reliable,we all know thats not true.
Regards my 'anti-western'agenda,errr,I am a westerner and proud of it.
Ciao.

S

sonofthedesert

Regards my 'anti-western'agenda,errr,I am a westerner and proud of it.
Ciao.
Hard to tell from all of your rants about the west being anti-muslem and against the muslem state of Dubai. Go back and read for yourself.

One things is for certain. You are a moron. Step away from the monitor, turn off the TV, and pick up a book. It will do wonders for your mind!

A

Ajmanprop

While it can be debated whether Western Media has an inherent anti Dubai bias (- may prove what some of you are saying - see the IHT blog - Globespotters Travel Blog International Herald Tribune Blog Archive Dubai: No Longer an Oasis in an Economic Desert )

One thing that keeps fueling a big percentage of "negative" articles is the fact that even when things can be observed in black and white, the officialdom/local media insists on painting it grey or dismisses it altogether. If you go to Zawya... there are two headlines.... One saying 11 cars at the airport, another saying 3000. No reporter in the world would get paid for carrying the 1st story... and it wouldn't make news.

Some stories cannot be published locally - as a result overseas media step in to fill the role.... whether it is solicited or self appointed.

In addition, publicity is a double edged sword. Dubai sought it, got it. Relatively very little reporting about Kuwait, Qatar etc.. .. or the other emirates in the UAE - positive or negative.

Last edited:
F

financier888

While it can be debated whether Western Media has an inherent anti Dubai bias (- may prove what some of you are saying - see the IHT blog - Globespotters Travel Blog International Herald Tribune Blog Archive Dubai: No Longer an Oasis in an Economic Desert )

One thing that keeps fueling a big percentage of "negative" articles is the fact that even when things can be observed in black and white, the officialdom/local media insists on painting it grey or dismisses it altogether. If you go to Zawya... there are two headlines.... One saying 11 cars at the airport, another saying 3000. No reporter in the world would get paid for carrying the 1st story... and it wouldn't make news.

Some stories cannot be published locally - as a result overseas media step in to fill the role.... whether it is solicited or self appointed.

In addition, publicity is a double edged sword. Dubai sought it, got it. Relatively very little reporting about Kuwait, Qatar etc.. .. or the other emirates in the UAE - positive or negative.
Today on the BBC - the show Oracle aired and they discussed Dubai including expats leaving and whether or not Abu Dhabi will bail Dubai out. Dubai has had much media attention of the years and with many investors - especailly out of the UK having problems and not feeling they are being protected under the law - expect to see more coverage. This may be only the tip of the iceburg in the articles that will follow.... unless the govt acts more decisively.

F

financier888

american take - b4 crash

I came across this that i thought you may find interesting on american perspective about dubai... (pre crash...)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_TL6v4hXw&feature=channel]YouTube - Dubai Building First Refrigerated Beach[/ame]

S

sasherwani2

Today on the BBC - the show Oracle aired and they discussed Dubai including expats leaving and whether or not Abu Dhabi will bail Dubai out. Dubai has had much media attention of the years and with many investors - especailly out of the UK having problems and not feeling they are being protected under the law - expect to see more coverage. This may be only the tip of the iceburg in the articles that will follow.... unless the govt acts more decisively.
I have been looking for that documentary. Received some calls from my friends from UK after they saw that documentary. It really opened some eyes I guess. If anyone has a link to that documentary, please post it.

F

financier888

I have been looking for that documentary. Received some calls from my friends from UK after they saw that documentary. It really opened some eyes I guess. If anyone has a link to that documentary, please post it.
It wasnt a documentary per se - it's a weekly featured 30 min show. It's the second time they have done a short segment on Dubai. It also has a satiric edge to it.. they were making some jokes about the 3,000 cars left at the airport.. ( or I guess 11 cars...) Peter Schiff was also a guest and he was suggesting that the Abu Dhabi sovereign fund bail out dubai rather make acquisitions in the west...

maybe U tube may have a clip...

A

Ajmanprop

Sasherwani2 / Financier:
Just watched it. For people living there, the show glosses over a lot of the finer details - some skimming over the facts, some comments made purely for its humor value....

Here is the link - trying not to embed it - there are 2 parts in all
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8QLDp80lg -

The show is also archived in on Google video.

A

Ajmanprop

Am Ok with the satirical element of it, but for the casual watcher - not sure if the show gives them a true picture of the liquidity/confidence issue on the ground in Dubai.

At least on the Dubai issue - there was no depth - instead of raising the real issues like - need for law, enforcement, transparency, investor rights etc - just provides fodder for those that say "Western Media" is deliberately targeting Dubai.

Not sure if they were serious with the Wikipedia source - 33T wealth in Abu Dhabi.

2.5M BPD X $100/barrel = 225M USD = would take 407 years to accumulate 33T.

T

TommyC

2.5M BPD X $100/barrel = 225M USD = would take 407 years to accumulate 33T.
Just gotta ask how you calculated this:

2.5M BPD x $100 x 365 = $91 250 000 000. Are you suggesting that the total cost of selling all those barrels would be $91 025 000 000, leaving only $225M as profit?

A

Ajmanprop

Here's an article from the WSJ - quoting the fashion editor of Vogue - Anna Wintour - referring to a new term..... "too Dubai".

I suppose it was like saying you've been Shanghaied, or one's job was Bangalored.

Anyway, when things are not looking good, it is fashionable to pile on....

Excerpts from the article:

" When the editor of Vogue rails against consumerism, the economy must be in a tailspin. Before she headed to the New York runway shows, fashion kingmaker Anna Wintour—dressed in taupe Manolo Blahnik boots, a Carolina Herrera sheath dress, and a tweed coat with a large fur collar draped over her shoulders—sat down in her office, with a perfect fresh bouquet on the desk, at Condé Nast's midtown Manhattan headquarters and discussed why "value" is in and "too Dubai" is out.

"So people want to look understated?
Yes, I don't think anyone is going to want to look overly flashy, overly glitzy, too Dubai, whatever you want to call it. I just don't think that's the moment. But I do feel an emphasis on quality and longevity and things that really last.

Full article at - Just Asking: Anna Wintour - WSJ.com

A

Ajmanprop

TommyC:
My mistake, thx for pointing out.
At $91B Annual revenue = it would take 361 years to accumulate 33T. That's without subtracting any extraction, marketing costs and assuming revenue is not being spent on anything else.

The Abu Dhabi royals / sovereign fund may be big - but I doubt it is close to 33 T. That's 3x the US economy if memory serves me right.

T

TommyC

TommyC:
My mistake, thx for pointing out.
At $91B Annual revenue = it would take 361 years to accumulate 33T. That's without subtracting any extraction, marketing costs and assuming revenue is not being spent on anything else.

The Abu Dhabi royals / sovereign fund may be big - but I doubt it is close to 33 T. That's 3x the US economy if memory serves me right.
Could it be something with the use of billion vs trillion? Names for Large Numbers

It sure does sound like A LOT of money, a bit to much.

A

Ajmanprop

Thank you for the link - "Names for large numbers". Very nice reading.

Never realized that the European terminology for an American Trillion (10 raised to the power 12)....is "Billion".....or for that matter that any discrepancy existed in the nomenclature.

Status
Not open for further replies.