Property tv

Nightmare Tenants, Slum Landlords - Channel 5, 7pm wednesdays

Discussion in 'Property TV Shows' started by totallyproperty, Jan 20, 2016.

1. totallyproperty

totallyproperty Administrator Staff Member

This program is enough to put you off becoming a landlord! I feel so sorry for the landlords in a lot of these situations. It really is incredible the absolute lack of respect some tenants have for other peoples property. I don't just mean not paying the rent, I mean the shocking and unnecessary state the properties are left in when they finally leave.

Has anyone had any absolute nightmare tenants?

2. Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork Editor-in-Chief Staff Member Premium Member

I've had my fair share for sure but regular house checks (taking a camera) and getting on top of rent chasing within days of them being late can minimise your losses as you have the deposit as a buffer. That's why in my opinion if you chase the rent quickly you're less likely to be out of pocket.

One tenant (earlier in my property career) managed to last nearly 2 years in a flat. Cost me around £25k in lost rent and damages (more the lost rent as it was £1,800 a month he wasn't paying after a few months of partial payments!). It turned out he was claiming housing benefit (and not passing it onto me) as well as job seekers allowance. He lived the high life using all the benefits to enjoy his social life whilst not paying rent. I had to pay my mortgage still to avoid repossession just to wait it out through the courts. He was what I call a "professional bad tenant" and he knew how to play the system. I learned the hard way and it will never happen to me like that again...

3. totallyproperty

totallyproperty Administrator Staff Member

Wow that is truly shocking! Hopefully there is no way he would manage to get any positive references (from anybody!) to be able to do the same again to the next unexpecting landlord!