New Natal Airport

apwhite

apwhite

Hi,

Any news on the new airport? I'm guessing end of 2010 isn't going to happen!

Thanks,
A.

M

Murfster

It is supposed to be finished before the world cup.

Regards,
Rob.
Do we know which world cup as am sure initially it was supposed to be finished before the one that just happened in South Africa! ;o)

J

JMBroad

Haha well it has to be finished and operational by 2012 for Natal to keep the "World Cup Host City" status so that is the new deadline.

This is in the paper this morning:

Next Friday, Infraero will meet again on the construction of the Airport of Sao Goncalo do Amarante. Barely a month after the visit of President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to Natal - where he signed the decree authorizing the grant of the airport, paving the way for the process of contracting of work - the goal now is to discuss the validation studies and minutes of the announcement and the concession agreement, and set schedules for public hearings on the projects and sending the work to the Council National Privatization and the Court of Auditors Secretary of the Union Planning and Finance of the State, Nelson Tavares, will attend the meeting.

Rough translation by google translator but seems they are getting better. Original text here: Tribuna do Norte | Aeroporto em discussão

J

JMBroad

The RN provides R $ 630.6 million for the works of port and airport
Published: July 20, 2010 at 14:26

The Provisional Act signed by President Luis Inacio Lula da Silva this Monday (19) to ensure North Carolina R $ 630.6 million for works in Natal port and airport of Sao Goncalo do Amarante. MP secures funding of R $ 53.7 million for the construction of passenger terminal and expansion of the Natal Port. This will allow the Port of Natal to receive passenger ships and cargo ships of large tonnage.

For the airport of Sao Goncalo do Amarante, a total of R $ 576.9 million was granted, R $ 168.9 million for the infrastructure project runway and systems of assistance and protection to the flight. R $ 408 million will go towards construction of passenger terminal through a PPP (Public- Private). MP foresees changes in the rules of State debts and reduction of paperwork for the loans. The project will finance the National Bank Economic Development (BNDES).

"With this interim measure, President Lula has granted more conditions to World Cup host cities so that they can have their limits of funding extended and Natal will have its
maritime passenger terminal built. At the same time, President Lula ordered the publication of the announcement of the airport of Sao Goncalo do Amarante," said Governor Iberê Ferreira de Souza.

J

JMBroad

Not sure this Port they are talking about is the actual project I've seen but if it is - it's fantastic... I'll try and get some more information on this.

B

Brazil investor

Would be interested to know if anyone has any news about the new Natal airport. Has work started yet and when is it likely to be finished? Also, does anyone know if the intention is to close the current airport when the new one opens, or will it still be used?

K

Kliffy

Would be interested to know if anyone has any news about the new Natal airport. Has work started yet and when is it likely to be finished? Also, does anyone know if the intention is to close the current airport when the new one opens, or will it still be used?
Originally I heard it would revert to military use only. Not sure if that is still the thinking. Progress on the new airport is slow and the World Cup in getting nearer.
With no progress on the new football stadium either Natal's World Cup host city status looks to be in doubt, which if lost would be good reason enough not to finish the airport on time ..... we watch and wait but i think I already know the answer ....

M

Murfster

I'd have to agree with your sentiments on the new airport unfortunately. Especially when I found out the original plans for it were drawn up with guidance from the Wright brothers! :wow:

Ok not quite that bad but I believe this "new" airport was originally planned to start something like 15 years ago and then was hailed as a new start when the agents got wind of it coincidently at the same time as the influx of the foreign property investors.

It might happen one day but don't allow it to influence your investment decision - like I did (fortunately only to a smal degree) as we could well be travelling across countries/continents by a new means other than airplanes by the time this ones completed!

K

Kliffy

Blatantly copied from a newsletter I read last week:

It’s now back to business in Brazil after another traditionally wild carnival season and we have exciting news about the new airport Sao Goncalo do Amarante),which President Dilma described as “a question of honour” on her recent visit here (Tribuna do Norte 10th February 2011). The next day, the local newspaper confirmed that the tender for contract will go out in April. Furthermore, the governor of Natal, Rosalba Ciarlini, “was guaranteed that the Airport of Sao Goncalo do Amarante…is a priority for the Planalto Palace”.
Of course the World Cup is getting closer and closer and Natal needs to get to work! “FIFA confirmed Natal as one of the elected cities for the 2014 World Cup, in spite of delays in the project and the start of the works” (Tribuna do Norte 24th February 2011).
"It's half time and with 45 minutes to go all is not lost ... Natal can still get a result! as the whole world watches from the stands!" ...

H

harold.edwards

Hi Tenders for Natal Airport will again go out in August this year along with 4 other Brazilian Airports should be at least partiality opened for World cup

Again the local Brazilians have messed up Dilma is now on the case!!

Harold Edwards

G

growler

If it takes around 1 year (or more) to organise and send out tenders, how long will it take to actual build the places?

I never cease to be amazed at the sheer incompetence of "official bodies" in Brazil. If all the required stadiums are ready on time this will be the biggest surprise since Quatar were awarded the World Cup hosting.

debzor

debzor

If it takes around 1 year (or more) to organise and send out tenders, how long will it take to actual build the places?

I never cease to be amazed at the sheer incompetence of "official bodies" in Brazil. If all the required stadiums are ready on time this will be the biggest surprise since Quatar were awarded the World Cup hosting.
I hear a lot of Brazilians now referring to the World Cup as 2015 and the 2017 Olympics...!!! Brazilians themselves are quite aware of the official incompetence and bureaucracy here:):)