ad

New Flat - son in India working / we'd like to get the key on his behalf

A

alan1406

I'm new to the forum but came across an issue today and could do with some guidance / advice...

Our son is working in India at the moment, returning 19 March but has agreed to take on a 6 month AST on a flat from this Saturday 14 March. As parents we want to assist in getting his stuff moved in and also we'd like to clean the flat. We were the ones that viewed the 2 flats he was interested in and he agreed terms with the letting agent remotely while he was away. The agents have completed their references on him and he previously had a tenancy in the same development several years ago.

The request to have the key for Saturday has been met with the response: "sorry due to the terms below and the government law we are unable to release any keys until we have verified you with your passport in person in our office"

Now I understand the need to verify new tenants. But what is the situation here? I am hoping to speak directly with the lettings agent tomorrow to explain the situation. How come cleaning staff can access the property with permission yet as parents (who will also be cleaning) are not? Seems a bit jobsworth - I'm hoping the letting agents will see sense and allow us the key to do the stuff we need to do this weekend

Any help / advice / guidance greatly appreciated

R

realdeals

I have not come across this before but I would assume it is a law to cover the renting of property by third parties for others who may not pass the ID test. While I apreciate the fact it does seem very "jobsworth" the letting agent will need to ensure that all of the paperwork they require under law has been provided. Not sure why they wont accept scanned copies though.

A

alan1406

I have not come across this before but I would assume it is a law to cover the renting of property by third parties for others who may not pass the ID test. While I apreciate the fact it does seem very "jobsworth" the letting agent will need to ensure that all of the paperwork they require under law has been provided. Not sure why they wont accept scanned copies though.
Thanks. The letting agent did all the required references and took out son’s deposit and first months rent in advance without needing to see his ID

R

realdeals

I believe that goes against all regulations - maybe they ID'd him a different way, through his bank account maybe? I dont think this was correct but they must surely have ID'd him some way.

I would question why your son did not need to show ID but they have requested ID from you.