Moving to Egypt

J

jaime

Hey All,

We has an option to get transferred to Cairo on work for 2 years.

Is it a good option to evaluate ? Right now the exoticism of Egypt is very alluring, but having never been there before was wondering what life as a local may be like.

Also what would be the monthly living expenses in Cairo is US$ ? For a 2-3 bedroom apartment, general maintenance of apartment (electricity, water, telephone with internet connection) food, car with driver.

Any other points we need to consider before we take the decision ?

Any guidance would be helpful

I did read Jcule's post & all the replies to it which were very insightful, but was also looking for more information on the same.

We need to take a decision by tomorrow as to whether this is worth considering or not & tell the company. a race trip is not looking likely, so hoping to see the city & country through your eyes.

K

keegan

Move to Cairo ?

Hi jaime,

It's hard to say what the expenses would be because it depends where you want to live and how much money you have to spend.
Electric is high in the summer and low in the winter. lol
Water is low, telephone is low and depends on if you use a land line which is free for internet...just the telephone call charges or you want dsl.
The whole country is inexpensive compared to the western world.
The people are wonderful, it's a dirty city and overcrowded but it is such an adventure, I would so go for it. It will be an experience you'll never forget. The history is amazing
There is so much to do and see.
Having a car with a driver is a great option, makes life a lot easier. Driver's run around 800 to 1000 LE per month, then the cost of renting a car. Last I checked, cars for the month can be between 3000 to 4500 LE per month.
Food budget again, depends on if you have kids, the kind of food you like, buying imported stuff or not. Without imported foods, food is cheap and the vegetables are to die for. Talk about fresh..
Just come with an open mind and acceptance and you'll love it.
I came from the states 19 years ago and never regretted it.

Z

zackary

Hi All,

It has been great reading everyone's questions and replies. My boyfriend moved to Maadi 2 weeks ago for work. He will be living there for 2 years. I am visiting in a month and hoping to move next March to be with him. My question is: I am nurse and was wondering about working in Cairo or in Egypt in general. Does anyone know of any American practices or hospitals. I am going to be a nurse practitioner and will finish my schooling online when I arrive. I need a site to do clinical practice and some place to work as a nurse part-time. Any ideas? I have tried looking online but have not had much luck.

Thanks

B

brenden

Hey zackary,

There is a big American hospital on the Ismailia Road near Shorouk City, about 45 minutes from Maadi. This hospital is very new. There is also an Anglo American Hospital in Zamalek. There are also private nursing companies you can work for as expats who live here and get ill would rather pay for a English or American nurse as the Egyptian nurses are not well trained.

Hope this helps a little.

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Zackary

Just wondering if you are still in Egypt and if so maybe you can give us an update which Im sure we will all find interesting and helpful.

Regards

Alison

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Jaime

Did you decide on the 2 year move to Egypt. If so are you still there and are you enjoying your experinace and new lifestyle.

Regards

Alison