More grand parents, parents and children living together

Discussion in 'Property Market News and Trends' started by realdeals, Nov 12, 2017.

1. realdeals

realdeals Active Member

I read a report today suggesting that more grand parents, parents and children and living together under one roof to save money - is this really the case? Are things really that bad?

2. diyhelp

diyhelp Active Member

Interesting new trend - something which has been commonplace on the continient for many years. This might be one (of many ways) to help reduce demand for UK property. It wont make a difference on its own but the cumulative effect with other actions should help.

3. lookinginvest

lookinginvest Member

All of the family living together? Not quite as easy as some would have you believe. Different age groups often like a different types of living lol Self-contained apartments sounds interesting but maybe not affordable/feasible for everyone?

4. realdeals

realdeals Active Member

This is not something I have come across personally but for some familes it will make perfect sense. For others, well, it might prompt World War III.

5. jane21august

jane21august New Member

Well, there are few countries where this does happen.On my trip to India, most of the people are living in the same house under one roof and there is no fighting about it.They all look happy to me.

6. diyhelp

diyhelp Active Member

Good point, generations of family living under the same roof is common practice in many countries. It is not something which has necessarily caught on in the UK as a cultural thing but financially it does seem as though more people are considering it.

7. realdeals

realdeals Active Member

Once money from the bank of “mum and dad” runs out perhaps we will see more people looking towards this type of accommodation arrangement?

8. jane21august

jane21august New Member

With the increase in population either these people will be forced to move from one place to another, else they have to remain with one another for saving their money.

9. nmb

nmb Well-Known Member

We have a double whammy here - the UK population is aging as we all live longer and the population is also growing domestically and via immigration. This is a trend which is likely to continue well into the future.

10. sam888

sam888 New Member

Of course they do, the prices for property are too high