Money transfers & the Central Bank

G

growler

I was under the impression that any funds received in Brazil over R$10,000 were automatically directed from the receiving account via the Central Bank subject to documentation being shown for business/purchases or a signed declaration in the case of personal funds.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not please?

debzor

debzor

I was under the impression that any funds received in Brazil over R$10,000 were automatically directed from the receiving account via the Central Bank subject to documentation being shown for business/purchases or a signed declaration in the case of personal funds.

Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not please?
Not correct - there are ways, (not necessarily legal),to send funds to Brazil in excess of R$10,000 without going through the Central Bank, and thus not having to present documentation to release them.

G

growler

Not correct - there are ways, (not necessarily legal),to send funds to Brazil in excess of R$10,000 without going through the Central Bank, and thus not having
True, but i'm talking of funds sent from say the UK directly to my Bank account in Brazil.

G

growler

Actually Debzor, since your mention of Trans-fast a few days ago I have been in contact with them and it seems I was not correctly advised when I first contacted them.

They have two rates, yesterday for example was:

Via Central Bank 2.44
Alternative route 2.63 a difference of around R$9,000 in this instance.

My original question is probably redundant now because it turns out it works like thi for the good rate.

Money sent to Trans-fast. Transfast send to Alpha transfer in the UK

Alpha transfer send to a company in Brazil who then send it to my Bank account.

This means the money would show as a transfer from within Brazil. They said this was their most used option, but I guess it wouldn't then be possible to register it through the Central Bank which would then cause problems if I want to send money back to the UK??

I contacted Moneycorp who said yesterday their rate was 2.55 through the Central Bank, so if they can give that rate, how is it Trans-fast can't? They told me the fees charged to them made it impossible.

Last edited:
G

growler

The rate isn't good now. When I first bought in Brazil I was getting 3.80..a MASSIVE difference. I don't know about the Pound being low, but the Brazilian Real is very strong.

The annoying thing is that I could have sent this money over 2 or 3 years ago.

eraizel

eraizel

Actually Debzor, since your mention of Trans-fast a few days ago I have been in contact with them and it seems I was not correctly advised when I first contacted them.

They have two rates, yesterday for example was:

Via Central Bank 2.44
Alternative route 2.63 a difference of around R$9,000 in this instance.

My original question is probably redundant now because it turns out it works like thi for the good rate.

Money sent to Trans-fast. Transfast send to Alpha transfer in the UK

Alpha transfer send to a company in Brazil who then send it to my Bank account.

This means the money would show as a transfer from within Brazil. They said this was their most used option, but I guess it wouldn't then be possible to register it through the Central Bank which would then cause problems if I want to send money back to the UK??

I contacted Moneycorp who said yesterday their rate was 2.55 through the Central Bank, so if they can give that rate, how is it Trans-fast can't? They told me the fees charged to them made it impossible.

I can confirm all that is been said here, but please bear in mind my considerations bellow.

My friend owns a money transfer in London and yes there is 2 ways to send money to brazil.

1) Via Central Banking: Is a registered transaction and always will be used in case you need to repatriate you monies sent to Brazil.

1.1) Considerations: This is by far the safest way to send money to Brazil, allow you to repatriate the monies sent and will be always used as reference to register the property you are buying.

1.2) Considerations 2: Lets say for example, you bought a property worth 100,000.00 (Brazilian Reals) After 2 years you sold the property for 150,000.00. So you have a profit of 50,000.00 and now you want to repatriate all the money. As you did through central banking, income tax will be due only when you repatriate the monies sent to Brazil what will be in average around 37% of the capital gain and that will be the only way to repatriate your monies.

2) Via Money Transfers: As our friend suggests there is this second way through money transfers it will use parallel rate and of course as you see the difference between the rates are huge.

2.1) Considerations: Lets say for example in the same situation above you bought a property worth 100,000.00 (Brazilian Reals). As you send money through the second way you'll be able to register the purchase of the property for less than it is worth (very common situation in Brazil to avoid taxation for the whole amount). Stamp duty (Registro) in Brazil will be around 4-5% of the property value.

2.2) Considerations 2: If you choose this way to send money to Brazil, it is not illegal, although the only way to repatriate the monies is using the same way you used to send it originally what requires a very well trusted agent as it cannot be done via banking system, it is literally handing over the money in the hands of someone in brazil to receive it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

growler

1.2) Considerations 2: Lets say for example, you bought a property worth 100,000.00 (Brazilian Reals) After 2 years you sold the property for 150,000.00. So you have a profit of 50,000.00 and now you want to repatriate all the money. As you did through central banking, income tax will be due only when you repatriate the monies sent to Brazil what will be in average around 37% of the capital gain and that will be the only way to repatriate your monies.
So you are saying that on a profit of R$50,000 I would have to pay:

1) R$7,500 CGT
2) R$18,500 Income tax
3) R$9,00 Agent (at 6%)

So a R$50,000 profit actually becomes only R$15,000 less of course around R$8,000 on the purchase means my R$50,000 profit in reality would only be R$7,000???

I have never heard of anyone having to pay income tax on a house sale (unless I were buying and selling maybe).

eraizel

eraizel

No what I meant is:

From the beginning sending through Central Bank (number 1 and 2) and considering a profit of R$50.000 you pay only if you repatriate the money (number 3,4 and 5):

1) Sent R$100.000 = already lose around 4% on the exchange rate (considering money corp 2.55 above) = R$4.000
2) No way to register for less of its value loss avoiding taxes (around 1-2%) = R$2.000
3) 50.000 x 15% (Income Tax) = R$7.500
2) R$150.000 x 6% (agent fee) = R$ 9.000
4) Exchange Rate repatriating your money through central bank compared to the other way (around 7-9%) = R$13.500

TOTAL = R$36.000

G

growler

My money is coming over via the Central Bank as did my money for my Visa, and these are the monies I will be using to build (not buy).

When I sell I have to pay 5.93% tax on the sale price and no CGT because it is business.

As far as I am aware I don't need to pay any other taxes even if I send money back to the UK??

M

musicman

Does anyone own an apartment in either Taiba 1 or 2?
Have brought in Taiba 1,and now am trying to complete the change of Title,it is taking so long,I dont know why,they say its them and wrong paperwork,but its taking so long.
Can anyone help?is this normal?

J

JMBroad

How "long" is "so long" - keep in mind bureaucracy takes forever in Brasil. I don't know anything about this development but although it should be a straight forward process, paperwork including title deeds in Brazil can take a lot longer than it normally takes in Europe.