Media Watch

C

cin7166

Sorry, I can't resist this, but we have terrorists wandering around in London and it doesn't stop tourists coming. Not only that, we have teenagers in gangs shooting each other. I have a holiday home in Turkey and visit Dubai and Egypt for my winter holidays and I feel safer in any of these places than I do in London!

E

Escott

Banned
"Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, in an interview to be published on Saturday, urged Hamas and Abbas's Fatah to end their differences and invited both sides to meet."

So basically you have a problem in a neighbouring country which is 500 miles away from the major resorts in the country and the President of Egypt is trying to stop Israelis and Palestinians from squabbling.

I take it that you haven't actually been to Sharm or Hurghada to check out either resorts for yourself?
You are 100% right I haven't. I won't be going to that part of the world in the near future either nor will I be investing there.

I do remember bombings of Resort towns in Egypt also as I recall isn't that right?

I only invest in places that are stable and safe.

I wish you luck there and I would love to see the conflicts end and terrorism finished but I am affraid it won't happen in my lifetime.

E

Escott

Banned
Sorry, I can't resist this, but we have terrorists wandering around in London and it doesn't stop tourists coming. Not only that, we have teenagers in gangs shooting each other. I have a holiday home in Turkey and visit Dubai and Egypt for my winter holidays and I feel safer in any of these places than I do in London!
Well London I have been to many time. I even had a flat in East London. Ridden all over on the tube with my wife and child without a care in the world.

To compare London to Egypt in safety is pretty funny.

I wish you luck in your investments.

E

Escott

Banned
The Giza strip is nowhere near Hurghada and Sharm and this will not affect tourists aor buyers.
It may not be near there but if the problem grows I certainly think it would affect tourists and investors. There are just too many safe places to visit.

Good luck in your investments

C

cin7166

I was just trying to say there are terrorists everywhere, not just in the islamic countries. Look at Spain (Eta) Ireland (IRA) and we have the islamic extremists working in various places in Europe, Madrid bomings, London, Glasgow. I live in London. I'm not comparing it to Egypt. I don't allow terrorists to dictate to me where I want to go on holiday. Some people do, but my attitude is that something could happen to me any where any time so why not go where I want! I could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow. Of course, I wouldn't fancy Iraq for my hols!:)

P

propertastic

You are 100% right I haven't. I won't be going to that part of the world in the near future either nor will I be investing there.

I do remember bombings of Resort towns in Egypt also as I recall isn't that right?

I only invest in places that are stable and safe.

I wish you luck there and I would love to see the conflicts end and terrorism finished but I am affraid it won't happen in my lifetime.
There were bombings in Sharm in 2005, since which time the Egyptians have spent a fortune on a huge Tourist Police Force which you see everywhere.

In Hurghada there are metal detectors at the entrance to every hotel and all Egyptians are carefully searched before entry.

You live in the Dominican Republic, I see?

You don't think that there's a lot more risk of your property getting smashed to pieces by a hurricane than getting bombed in Egypt?

queenie40something

queenie40something

On our 1st visit to Sharm we flew home when the bombings occurred. When we checked into the hotel in Sharm we were told of the bombings in London!!

The security is very tight. There are road blocks everywhere and the cars are searched before they can enter the airports, borders and hotels. The President of Egypt has a home in Sharm as does Tony Blair.

I feel extremely safe in Sharm. We went to Dom Rep and we could not go outside of the resort as were we not safe. Holidaymakers on day trips were hijacked and robbed.

This is unheard of in resorts such as Sharm and Hurghada and the crime rate is extremely low.

L

Lsab

Dail Mail

If anyone picks up any magazines or newspapers etc that have articles on Egypt or more specifically Hurghada please post so I can go out and pick up a copy!!! I missed the one in the paper about joe calzaghe buying on regency towers which is good publicity for Hurghada but im looking forward to the april edition of A Place in The Sun mag!! All looking very positive for Egypt I think at the moment!!
Googled and found the article in the Daily Mail -wwwDOTtherightmoveabroadDOTcom/news/images/DailyMail231107DOTpdf.

It's worth a look

Linda

L

Lsab

Place in the Sun

Bought March's Place in the Sun this evening and have just had a glance through. There's 3 or 4 pages of articles on Egypt, mostly Hurghada, a piece about Joe Calzaghe with a nice plug for Regency Towers and Regency Beach plus their usual 'Superb Homes For Sale...' shows Regency Beach and Palm Beach Piazza. Thanks Nick and Pete - glad we've put our deposit on Regency Beach!!!

Linda

P

propertastic

That's strange - I thought that this wasn't due out for another couple of months.

Maybe they are doing a couple of different features over the next few months.

Not that I'm complaining - the more plugs Egypt gets this year, the better for all of us!

L

lovesquadsue

Googled and found the article in the Daily Mail -wwwDOTtherightmoveabroadDOTcom/news/images/DailyMail231107DOTpdf.

It's worth a look

Linda
Thank you! I have just caught up now! Better late than never eh!
I am going to go and buy the a place in the sun mag today and have a read of that! great stuff that egypt and hurghada more specifically are getting some good press!

A

awahee123

Banned
Remember people whilst all this info is very helpful to the forum,we must not copy and paste anything on the forum that may be seen as copyright.
If you are unsure please ask any moderator who will be able to help you further.

J

jeremy bright

just got a february copy of overseas property tv mag has ten pages on egypt

A

Aegean

Be interesting to see the actual numbers who have purchased in each and see the % breakdown between - holiday home - full time move - or just investors who buy to make a quick return.

A

Aegean

just got a february copy of overseas property tv mag has ten pages on egypt
New Place every month - so only generates interest that month. Like an article in a newspaper - Agents will tell you initial interest that day but drops off quickly.

P

propertastic

Be interesting to see the actual numbers who have purchased in each and see the % breakdown between - holiday home - full time move - or just investors who buy to make a quick return.
Speaking to the folks behind Regency Towers/Beach/Continental/etc. a couple of days ago, they tell me that 20% of Regency Towers is being occupied fulltime, with the other 80% being for rentals.

D

distant dreamer

Hi everyone

Just received my coppy of OPP magazine (Overseas Property Professional),and they've got a section on Egypt in focus, over several pages. All sounded positive, with good ads for some of the main developments. Also Proper-tastic, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know your book got a write up also. So hopefully more sales for you!!!:)

P

propertastic

Hi everyone

Just received my coppy of OPP magazine (Overseas Property Professional),and they've got a section on Egypt in focus, over several pages. All sounded positive, with good ads for some of the main developments. Also Proper-tastic, I'm sure you'll be pleased to know your book got a write up also. So hopefully more sales for you!!!:)
That's great news!

Any idea what they said about the book? Was it a review or just a passing mention?

I saw that it was up to #37 on Amazon's list of property books yesterday, so someone must have bought another one!

I still have no idea of sales figures. The publisher promises to give me some info at the end of the month.

He's got one on Brazil coming out next month that will be cross-promoting with mine.

D

distant dreamer

Hi Propertastic,

It was a review and took up a good third of the page with a small photo plus a photo of your book in colour! Headed up Egypt is Proper-tastic - first guide on the property market is released. Generally just saying about it being the first book to be written about the Egyptian property market, plus a quote from you. Also mentions what areas the book covers and what else is in it. Then some comments from Ian Marsh, saying its still an immature market where things are still up in the air! Hope that helps.

P

propertastic

Thanks ever so much for that, distant dreamer. That's a lot more coverage than I expected it to get.

Egypt certainly is moving along very nicely this year.