Malta

F

francusc

Has anyone ever thought of investing in Malta? It is a safe place, with thousands of years of history, beautiful blue sea and warm sun. The weather is mild in winter and perfect for swimming in summer.

P

pawee

Malta is really a beautiful place, and I, too wonder why there are less of people who invest in that place

M

Mathewma77

Malta is best for investing money in real estate now.

M

michael1978

Malta is not only beautiful but it's also safe and it has really good program for expat investing. Perfect country ti invest in.

D

diyhelp

As part of the Commonwealth I was wondering how the Malta property market has been impacted by Brexit?

R

realdeals

There seem to be a lot of positives about the Malta property market at the moment. My only concern would be Brexit - whatever happens, how would this impact Malta (being part of the commonwealth).

D

diyhelp

Interesting that there is no talk of any undue impact on Malta property from the Brexit situation - looks like this market is one to put on the radar :)

V

Valeria_in_Sardinia

House prices used to be quite cheap in Malta compared to most developed countries, but recently they have shot up more than in any other country in the world. Over the last two years, also the apartment rental industry in Malta has exploded, and prices higher than ever before. So buying to let could be a good investment thanks to the supply constraints and the robust economy.

I have been to a political debate two months ago and one of the speakers was the Malta President and he told us that Malta is at present going through a favourable economic period, thanks to the property market, but he is concerned that there will be a point of saturation.

Therefore he is keen on an alliance with the other European Islands to be represented in the European Parliament. Planning and environmental policy must go hand in hand in order to safeguard the standards of living on a relatively overcrowded island.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Malta will not escape the boom and bust cycle (even though Gordon Brown once thought he had cracked it in the UK lol) but I dont see massive downside. Or am I wrong?

V

Valeria_in_Sardinia

Malta will not escape the boom and bust cycle (even though Gordon Brown once thought he had cracked it in the UK lol) but I dont see massive downside. Or am I wrong?
Yeah! It is quite an unusual situation because it is a tiny country and a very good percentage of people who live there come from other countries: expats, tourists. So even if there is going to be a downturn people coming from other countries won't be affected and will help the local economy.

L

lookinginvest

Hi @Valeria_in_Sardinia

I totally agree, we will probably look back at Malta in 10 years time and wish we had acted, as it does look "too good to be true".

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
In many ways it is the fact that Malta is a relatively small island with a growing economy which is most attractive. In these types of situation to it does not take much to push property prices higher due to increased demand. It also seems unlikely that the economy will collapse in the short to medium term with everything pointing to more growth.

M

michael1978

Malta is a really good place to relocate to. Yes, property prices have gone up in recent years but that is because they offer lots of advantages. Good health and schooling systems, not to mention the nice life style.

D

diyhelp

Forget my Brexit comment - from what I read it looks like Malta can look after itself. Rising population and a strong economy - a great recipe for a strong housing market.

J

Jules1970

Has anyone ever thought of investing in Malta? It is a safe place, with thousands of years of history, beautiful blue sea and warm sun. The weather is mild in winter and perfect for swimming in summer.
Hi

I have a property in Qawra Malta.
Lived there for awhile so know it well and yes a good place to invest though dealing with solicitors can be tricky. Let me know if you need further advice.

Julie

J

Jules1970

Malta is a really good place to relocate to. Yes, property prices have gone up in recent years but that is because they offer lots of advantages. Good health and schooling systems, not to mention the nice life style.
Swings and roundabouts Michael. Lot has changed unfortunately in last 10 years not as good as it was.

D

diyhelp

We see this quite often. The ever increasing cost of property will likely mean families that have grown up there for decades will be forced to look elsewhere as children grow up, look for their own homes and have familes. I think this is the main downside to this type of property boom - we are unlikely to ever return to the levels of affordability we saw years ago.