making a will in bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

digger06

anyone know of a firm in england, looked elsewere but the number was wrong,seems a rip off doing one over there???

J

Janoulaki

not understanding your question really,

are you looking for some firm which will help you with the will?

D

digger06

yes,i need to make a joint will for a bulgarian house

J

Janoulaki

did you try independent financial advisor
they deal with inheritance tax so i would suggest to talk abou this

:)

do you need one to be recommended?

J

Jain and Chris

I think the most important thing here is that you have someone who understands both Bulgarian and UK law (even perhaps any other off-shore positions you may have) and what your purpose is behing buying regarding inheritance.

If you would like a totally honest and trustworthy lawyer to act on your behalf, then I would be completely happy to recommend the lawyer who writes for Quest Bulgaria magazine. They write for the mag free of charge, as they are really concerned for the overseas buyer (the partners have worked in England for many years and so understand Western European ethics and needs) and act for many hundreds of English speaking clients.

Let me know if you'd like more help on all of this.... we've bought in Bulgaria, live here and done the whole damn thing.... so can assist as best we can.

Cheers, Jain n Chris

T

tzvetanka mcfadden

I would like to tell you , that you can not make a will in Bulgaria as the Bulgarian law has to pass 7 yrs of a trial period and then only the will made there would actualy has power in EU county. You can make a will in your resident counrty, only you have to mention about your property and also that you wish in case of your death to be by the law of the country where you are resident. For that you can ask your Solicitor in Uk, IRL..and they will have a tipical will.

J

Jain and Chris

Hi

Of course you can make a will in Bulgaria. We have done so ourselves and it is valid.

The question of inheritance when it involves estate in one country can be difficult enough, let alone when it crosses international boundaries. The most important thing is to get proper professional advice in the matter so that the will complies with your wishes.

For example, tzvetanka says that you can have a will drawn up in your own country with an annexe which mentions the BG property; and choose to have your Bulgarian property come under the law of the country in which you are resident. This is quite right. However, she fails to go on and say that whilst you can do this, the law in your country of residence cannot affect the "reserved shares" of the heirs under the Bulgarian Inheritance Act. This is important to know !!!

Digger - did you get the will sorted out? If not, did you find the lawyers I mentioned on our site? Anyway, here is the email address of the lawyer who writes for the magazine. She speaks excellent English and they are a reputable firm : [email protected]

Hope this asssists.

Cheers,

D

digger06

thanks, i will use it,,,thats if they eventually answer any of my 6 e mails to them??????????????

D

deedee1

Hi all,

In the uk you have to mention you have a property in bulgaria!!

But in fact you have to make one in bulgaria as this is the legal one you will need to use -the uk one is not valid in bulgaria it is purely for speculation and mention purposes only!

You cannot claim your property in bulgaria through the uk or uk will- YOU CAN ONLY CLAIM AGAINST THE BULGARIAN WILL ONLY!!

If you dont have a bulgarian will you can loose you property and the government will take it for themselves!!
Take care-D

J

Jain and Chris

Hi Deedee

Steady on.... before we let everyone think that if there is no will the Bulgarian state will take your property!!!

The truth is that if you don't make a will, your property will be governed
by Bulgarian law and your heirs will be the ones as per BG law -
first line are the children, the spouse and the parents. If you don't have
heirs of this line or the next line - grandparents, cousins, aunts and
uncles, nephews and nieces etc., only then will the state inherit your
property.

The common rule is: "If there is no will, immovables are
inherited under Bulgarian law, movables - under the law of the last
address registration of the deceased."

Cheers

PS : Sorry, forgot. You don't have to make a Bulgarian will separately
from your English one. As long as the authenticity of the
latter can be confirmed, undoubtedly, it will be fully accepted.

D

deedee1

:)Hi all,

Jain- Sorry but didnt intend to scare people etc but the fact remains that unfortunatelky alot of people are mislead and also presume that if you buy a property abroad then your uk will covers and protects you when in fact it doesnt one iota!!

Whatever country you buy in you need to ensure you have a will made in that country!!

Take care-D :)

J

Jain and Chris

Hi Deedee

I've just checked this with the Bulgarian lawyers who write for the magazine. They confirm that a British will would be accepted here regarding Bulgarian property. There is also the danger of having a will in each country, that one could cancel out the other.

I remember from working in a notarial office in France when we lived there that we dealt with several UK wills in relation to French property. All of which were accepted.

What do you mean by 'covers and protects'? If you mean can you do with your Bulgarian property whatever you want just as in the UK (i.e., leave it to anyone),then the key thing to remember is the difference between "movable" and "immovable" property with regard to Bulgaria, in particular the situation relating to reserved shares of heirs (Bulgarian Iheritance Act).

Inheritance is indeed a very complex issue - even more so these days with people owing property all over the world - and I recommend everyone to take proper professional advice. The last thing one needs at such a dreadful time is to be struggling with lawyers and trying to sort out if you even have a roof over your head.

Best wishes

D

digger06

Hi

Of course you can make a will in Bulgaria. We have done so ourselves and it is valid.

The question of inheritance when it involves estate in one country can be difficult enough, let alone when it crosses international boundaries. The most important thing is to get proper professional advice in the matter so that the will complies with your wishes.

For example, tzvetanka says that you can have a will drawn up in your own country with an annexe which mentions the BG property; and choose to have your Bulgarian property come under the law of the country in which you are resident. This is quite right. However, she fails to go on and say that whilst you can do this, the law in your country of residence cannot affect the "reserved shares" of the heirs under the Bulgarian Inheritance Act. This is important to know !!!

Digger - did you get the will sorted out? If not, did you find the lawyers I mentioned on our site? Anyway, here is the email address of the lawyer who writes for the magazine. She speaks excellent English and they are a reputable firm : [email protected]

Hope this asssists.

Cheers,
found one in varna, the one above never answers e mails,ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.