ad

Looking for some guidance on buying a property next to a campsite

L

Linz

Hi there

I am hoping someone can help me.
I have finally found my dream home after 3 years of actively looking!
It has been on the market for 12 months so automatically I have wondered why someone else hasn't snapped it up as I literally cannot find faults but am scared to offer in case I am missing something that everyone else is seeing!
The only issues could be that it has a farm with 22 acres one on side of the property and a small campsite (4 acres) on the other side.
The farm is agricultural with only horses on it, not a working farm and the land is greenbelt (although that doesn't seem to count for much nowadays!) but I guess could easily be turned in to a much larger campsite than the neighbours on the other side.
Am I missing something? The current campsite traffic would not affect the property in respect to traffic and the owners live on the campsite to control noise etc.
Can anyone offer any advice as for me the property is everything but I also don't want to buy something that I also cannot sell on when needed and may ultimately be a very poor investment.

Thanks in advance for any help with this one!

Lindsey

F

FWL

It is difficult to say without any further information but the fact there is already a campsite nearby may ring alarm bells with some people. I would guess it would not be too difficult to get permission to extend the current campsite and as you say greenbelt land does not offer the same exclusivity that it once did. Are there any issues with public walkways going through your land?

L

Linz

Hi.

Thanks so much for the swift response. With regards to the walkway, there is no public walkway as such but the lane provides access directly to the farm (one with 22 acres) so the property does have passing traffic to the farm (however we have been to the property 5 times on different days/times of day to assess the volume and haven't seen one other vehicle yet!) This isn't a concern for us as we currently live in a more urban town and have constant traffic, however it would be a concern if the 22 acres turned in to something that created heavy traffic.
It really is such a dilemma for us as we have only fallen in love with this property but it seems to be a massive risk and potentially could end up costing us a lot of money if we can't sell.
Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Lindsey

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Hi @Linz

I suggest chatting with some local estate agents and legal eagles to see if there really are any drawbacks which you might have missed. Sometimes these types of property do not attract investors but it may have something to do with the campsite and other potential developments in the surrounding fields?

From what you say that is the only drawback I can see.

F

FWL

As a side note @Linz do you know why the original seller put the property and land on the market? Was just trying to think of why such a great sounding prospect has not sold after 12 months.

D

diyhelp

Hi @Linz

I saw this post and wondered how you got on? Did you go ahead?