Lmgrei, oregon woodsmoke and all experts - advice wanted by aussie on taxes, llc

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bambi222

hello all,

I especially wanted to ask a question for Lmgrei and Oregon Woodsmoke as you two seem very experienced.

i am an australian and i own 2 properties here.

But i want to invest in the US because:
a) it's a truly great country
b) our dollar is at a historic high to the US dollar. I recall the A$ being only worth US50c but now it is surging towards parity. One day in the future we will be back to 50c sure as eggs.

Goal: to get positive cash-flow rental properties.

Where: this is the question. I have been up the West Coast and I like Oregon, too.

But I am ignorant of the ins and outs of the US taxation system.

Property taxes can be so high there as can insurance.

I need to know:

1) Taxes: Which jurisdictions am I likely to get low taxes, and ongoing low taxes? California... NO that state is broke and will soon have to raise taxes. But I don't know how to find this information out.

2) Rental market: Which jurisdictions will have good pool of respectable renters who won't trash the place - and which jurisdictions will have job growth and population growth?

3) Insurance costs: I want to avoid the hurricane areas as i read how hurricane insurance alone can cost over $2000. That's outrageous. In Australia I pay about $1000 per year for my TOTAL property insurance (on one property) including: fire damage, earthquakes and natural disasters, storm damage, tenant damage, vacancy, public liability up to $10m.

4) Rules and regulations. I have heard in some jurisdictions that before you can rent you have to fix the place to a certain standard. While I don't want to be a slum lord, that kind of rule could cost thousands. Can you warn me about these kind of pitfalls?

5) Building type: I'm looking for low maintenance. Repairs are what kills your profit over time. Preferably a unit block (no high rise, 2 stories maximum) with up to 8 units. Double brick, solid construction. No timber decking - concrete balconies only (which cannot get dry rot or termites).

Do you know if there is a place that will have that kind of garden unit low-rise development? No massive mansions for me... just lots of little low-maintenance living spaces that I can rent for cash flow and not be constantly fixing.

6) Should I make an LLC company in the states through which to own my property? I understand the US is a very litigious country and someone said for asset protection you should own property through a company. Is this the case? Is it the best vehicle?
Is that expensive? Are there yearly costs with that?

There has been a lot of press about repo auctions in the US and this could be good for me as I can stump up the 30% required for a foreign investor in cash, if the place is cheap enough. But I know I have to research county taxes etc. This will require an extended trip to the states where I will probably live in the back of a car while I thoroughly investigate. But I need to do a bit of the mental work here first.

Here in Australia, yields are better in small cities/large regional towns. I am thinking same would be true of the US. Also, tenants tend to be nicer in those places. Not too small though. Places with populations of between 200,000 and say 750,000 people I think would be ideal. What do you think?
It has to have a future though: a growth industry for example, and a growth trend.

Why would I look to the US instead of Australia:

We here are priced out of our own market. It's the most expensive real estate in the world. I am lucky to own two properties, one cheap, one average. Even with no mortgage, I still cannot afford to buy another one - in NSW I get killed with Land Tax.

This is a long post I know - hope you guys or another very knowledgeable poster can give some advice :)

B

Bambi222

no answer?

42 views and no answers? Misery Me!!

I promise on my voyage of discovery to share info as I go

B

Bambi222

From the US Census Bureau... 2005 release. I think the figures were collected from Census 2000. That means they are 10 years old. They are doing a Census this year - results won't probably be out till 2011 most likely. I suspect they will be radically different as when this one was done, California wasn't so broke and the tech bubble hadn't even burst much less the housing bubble.

Anyway, FWIW here it is:

Population growth projections:
top five fastest-growing states from 2000 to 2030 would be
1) Nevada (114 percent),
2) Arizona (109 percent),
3) Florida (80 percent),
4)Texas (60 percent)
5) Utah (56 percent).

Most (88 percent) of the nation’s population growth between 2000 and 2030 would occur in the South and West, which would be home to the 10 fastest-growing states over the period.

The share of the population living in the South and West would increase from 58 percent in 2000 to 65 percent in 2030, while the share in the Northeast and Midwest would decline from 42 percent to 35 percent.

As the oldest baby boomers become senior citizens in 2011, the population 65 and older is projected to grow faster than the total population in every state. In fact, 26 states are projected to double their 65- and-older population between 2000 and 2030.

I would like to buy property where old people congregate. There will be less gang activity there and nicer communities. Old people are usually better neighbours. They don't have kids to break your cupboard doors or spray tags on neighbourhood walls. They are past drug dealing and mugging innocent strangers too - teenage males are the biggest culprits...

B

Bambi222

oregon population also growing

1990 - 2.8 million
2000 - 3.4 million
2010 - 3.8 million (projected)
2015 - 4.1 million (projected)

plus crime risk category of males 15-39 seems to be falling... or growing slower than the category of older, wiser, calmer people (65+)

N

Nevada Rental Homes

the best solution for you is to contact any real estate agent or broker in US and ask all you questions to him/her but without revealing your secrets.

As you will get trust on that agent then reveal wht you want and how you will approach for it. this is the basic step you have to take because you are new into it.

hope this helps!
thanks!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.