Living in Egypt

How much does it cost for two to live well in Egypt?

• 300€ or less per month

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • 400€ per month

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 500€ per month

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 600€ or more per month

Votes: 20 35.7%

• Total voters
Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

<B>Egypt Forum Founder Member</B>
We have heard a lot of contributions from those buying property for investment or just for holidays but it would be really great to get the views of non Egyptians who have moved to the country permanently.

Why Egypt?
How different was it from your expectations? Better or Worse?
What are the good bits and the bad bits?
What do you miss about your home country? Would you move back?
What is the health service like? Do you need private health insurance? How expensive is it? What about dentists? Good or not? Expensive or cheap?

Loads of questions but great food for thought and the biggest question of all...

Is your standard of living better or worse than your home country and how much would you say you need to live well for a month? See poll above

P

propertastic

Interesting question indeed.

Just so that everyone is playing by the same rules, can you clarify that you are just talking day-to-day existence prices, i.e. food, drink, utilities, transport etc.

I presume that this doesn't include the cost of rented accommodation.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

I am talking of a normal what I suppose we would call 'comfortable' lifestyle and not including the cost of rent or mortgage.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Anyone have any idea what it costs to buy a small car or jeep in Egypt? What is the cost of insurance, tax etc?

queenie40something

queenie40something

Anyone have any idea what it costs to buy a small car or jeep in Egypt? What is the cost of insurance, tax etc?
Hi Peter

I know the costs of cars in Egypt are high compared to the UK. I think the tax and insurance depends on the make, model and cc of the car. I am sure that you just insure the car and anybody with a valid licence would be covered to drive it so totally different from the UK. I am a Motor Insurance Underwriter and it makes my hair curl!!

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

Bringing a Car to Egypt

I have a 4.2 litre Range Rover which is now 10 years old. I am considering driving it to Egypt as fuel is so cheap. Living in Spain we could cross into Africa via Morocco. Anyone driven that route or any recommendations on different routes? It seems Egypt would be perfect for this old gas guzzler with fuel being so cheap!

D

dave99

Car costs

New Small family cars costs about the same as UK - Mitsubishi Lancer 1.3 Automatic costs about £9000, insurance about £300 - with local version of Comprehensive cover.

D

dave99

10th cost of UK fuel

I have a 4.2 litre Range Rover which is now 10 years old. I am considering driving it to Egypt as fuel is so cheap. Living in Spain we could cross into Africa via Morocco. Anyone driven that route or any recommendations on different routes? It seems Egypt would be perfect for this old gas guzzler with fuel being so cheap!
10th cost of UK fuel - about 10p a litre.

Not a very green idea though !!!

P

propertastic

10th cost of UK fuel - about 10p a litre.

Not a very green idea though !!!
Now I understand how Hertz can offer than EUR35/week 'all you can drive' deal.

I didn't know before that fuel was that cheap out there.

A

awahee123

Banned
The fuel is silly cheap but cars are silly expensive,anybody know what the duty and taxes would be for anybody taking a used car to Egypt?.

D

dave99

Cars cost about same as UK

The fuel is silly cheap but cars are silly expensive,anybody know what the duty and taxes would be for anybody taking a used car to Egypt?.
Cars cost about same as UK - may not be same spec but close enough.

Priced a few cars that I know in the UK before we bought one - servicing via "main dealers" is a bit of a problem - had to go to Cairo from Hurghada for FREE servicing.

A

awahee123

Banned
Car cost

Cars cost about same as UK - may not be same spec but close enough.

Priced a few cars that I know in the UK before we bought one - servicing via "main dealers" is a bit of a problem - had to go to Cairo from Hurghada for FREE servicing.

Hi dave99,
I suppose it's swings and roundabouts fuel is cheap and cars are not,I suppose as we found out about the cost of broadband we will have to live with some costs which are the same as or dearer then the UK.

D

dave99

It's all relative

Hi dave99,
I suppose it's swings and roundabouts fuel is cheap and cars are not,I suppose as we found out about the cost of broadband we will have to live with some costs which are the same as or dearer then the UK.
It's all relative - the price of cars and other things that we take as normal in the UK are maga expensive for local people who earn very little compared to average income in the UK.

EG a car costing £10,000 in UK may be about 1/3 rd of UK annual gross income pa.

In Egypt the same car would be more like 5 years worth of annual income, even if basic things are much cheaper.

P

propertastic

One thing that struck me in Hurghada was how average the cars were. I can't remember seeing anything much fancier than a Toyota.

The contrast with Eastern Europe was very interesting to me. Here the middle classes live in tiny crumbling apartment blocks yet drive BMW's and Mercedes, whereas in Hurghada the middle class lives in wonderful villas, yet drive around in Toyotas.

D

dave99

You must come over again and take a closer look.

One thing that struck me in Hurghada was how average the cars were. I can't remember seeing anything much fancier than a Toyota.

The contrast with Eastern Europe was very interesting to me. Here the middle classes live in tiny crumbling apartment blocks yet drive BMW's and Mercedes, whereas in Hurghada the middle class lives in wonderful villas, yet drive around in Toyotas.
You must come over again and take a closer look.

There are lots of BMWs and Mercs parked outside "ordinary" apartment blocks.

D

dave99

Good thread

We have heard a lot of contributions from those buying property for investment or just for holidays but it would be really great to get the views of non Egyptians who have moved to the country permanently.

Why Egypt?
How different was it from your expectations? Better or Worse?
What are the good bits and the bad bits?
What do you miss about your home country? Would you move back?
What is the health service like? Do you need private health insurance? How expensive is it? What about dentists? Good or not? Expensive or cheap?

Loads of questions but great food for thought and the biggest question of all...

Is your standard of living better or worse than your home country and how much would you say you need to live well for a month? See poll above
Good thread - be interesting to learn about the "real costs".

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

It may not be very 'green' but the car is worthless second hand in the west but would be perfect in Hurghada.

A

awahee123

Banned
Peter do you know if you are going to have to pay any duty to take the car into Egypt at all as a resident let's say.

Peter Mitry

Peter Mitry

At this stage I have no idea; I was hoping someone on the forum might know!

G

GM43

Banned
All I know is that it is not worth the money and the effort to import a car in Egypt!
For used cars you have to pay a lot of tax or you have to use it only an half year and then put in tax storage for ?? months. Btw you can only drive it yourself.