Large Spanish and Portuguese developers falling foul of environmental rules in Brazil, it is claimed

Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Spanish and Portuguese developers who rushed to build mega*projects in Brazil are coming unstuck as ambitious coastal*developments are thwarted by conservation concerns.

Strict regional environment are becoming increasingly*protective of the country's natural resources and big*developers have also been hit by lack of funds. There are an*increasing number of developments being delayed and even*shelved, it is claimed.

Click Here to Read The Full Story and Add your Own Comments to Large Spanish and Portuguese developers falling foul of environmental rules in Brazil, it is claimed

debzor

debzor

Spanish and Portuguese developers who rushed to build mega*projects in Brazil are coming unstuck as ambitious coastal*developments are thwarted by conservation concerns.

Strict regional environment are becoming increasingly*protective of the country's natural resources and big*developers have also been hit by lack of funds. There are an*increasing number of developments being delayed and even*shelved, it is claimed.
QUOTE]

OK! I'll jump in at the deep end!

1/ It really is not rocket science to figure out that sand dunes are protected, like, everywhere! But the advertising and presentations were slick, and, of course, there was no need to visit the area, town, country... (I think we all have the T-shirt on this one).

2/ Many suspect that numerous of these European developers had no intention of getting anywhere near construction.

3/Solution: only buy where locals are also buying, from local licensed brokers and at local prices. This works for all price ranges, in all locations and for all markets.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member

QUOTE]

OK! I'll jump in at the deep end!

1/ It really is not rocket science to figure out that sand dunes are protected, like, everywhere! But the advertising and presentations were slick, and, of course, there was no need to visit the area, town, country... (I think we all have the T-shirt on this one).

2/ Many suspect that numerous of these European developers had no intention of getting anywhere near construction.

3/Solution: only buy where locals are also buying, from local licensed brokers and at local prices. This works for all price ranges, in all locations and for all markets.
Hi Debzor,

I have yet to come across any large European developers who had "no intention" to construct. The behaviour of some developers leaves a lot to be desired, but their problems were mainly caused by the credit crunch and ensuing collapse of the Euro property markets. The sad thing is that it affected a lot of people besides the developer.

I can also show you quite a few stopped developments in Brazil from Brazilian developers sold to locals by licensed brokers.

Regards,
Rob.

C

Coqueiro

Hi Debzor,

I have yet to come across any large European developers who had "no intention" to construct. The behaviour of some developers leaves a lot to be desired, but their problems were mainly caused by the credit crunch and ensuing collapse of the Euro property markets. The sad thing is that it affected a lot of people besides the developer.

I can also show you quite a few stopped developments in Brazil from Brazilian developers sold to locals by licensed brokers.

Regards,
Rob.
I think that anyone who knows a bit about Brazil would have definitly cocked an eyebrow at the ´Super exculsively gringo golf condo mega project concept´ that was being flogged to foreign investors these last years. How many have actually been completed anyway?

It is sad that people have had their fingers burnt, though risk comes with the territory. Many foreigners have lost a lot more in Brasil than a down payment on a1000m2 of expensive scrubland.

On the bright side hundreds maybe thousands of hectares remote beach surrounding scub and swamp is still intact, for now.

debzor

debzor

Hi Debzor,

Regards,
Rob.
Actually I was referring to some investors 'who may now suspect that some developers had no intention to construct', as a result of their losses, rather than my personal opinion.

J

JMBroad

Has anyone seen the coastline from Marbella to Calahonda twenty years ago and again today?

It used to be vast sand dunes leading down onto wide sandy beaches - idyllic beaches... Now where those sand dunes are there are huge residential blocks, looking out onto other huge residential blocks with a glimpse of other huge residential blocks between them and the sea.

Many are stopped half built (Las Vistas de Calahonda if my memory serves me right) while others actually managed to build right on top of the beach. Personally I think it is a good thing that they are quite strict with what can and what can't be built.

Yes I work in real estate development but I studied Environmental Ecology and know that the two can be combined. Ideally we'll find a way to build ecologically friendly social housing eventually...