Justice is served!!!!

C

Cornholio

Greek Cypriots 'can reclaim land'

The EU's top court has backed the right of a Greek Cypriot to reclaim land in Turkish-controlled northern Cyprus that has since been sold to a UK couple.

Meletis Apostolides was one of thousands of Greek Cypriots who fled his home when Turkish forces invaded in 1974, following a Greek-inspired coup.

The land was later sold to Linda and David Orams, who built a villa on it.

The European Court of Justice says a ruling in a Cypriot court that the villa must be demolished is applicable.

Even if the ECJ ruling cannot be enacted because the land is under Turkish Cypriot control, it means Mr Apostolides will be able to pursue a claim for compensation in a UK court.

It could also open the way for hundreds more Greek Cypriots to demand restitution for properties they were forced to flee.

Many Britons and other foreigners have invested in property in northern Cyprus, despite the legal ownership still being in some doubt.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Greek Cypriots 'can reclaim land'

http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2009-04/cp090039en.pdf

http://curia.europa.eu/jurisp/cgi-bin/form.pl?lang=EN&Submit=rechercher&numaff=C-420/07

Last edited:
Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Greek Cypriots 'can reclaim land'

The EU's top court has backed the right of a Greek Cypriot to reclaim land in Turkish-controlled northern Cyprus that has since been sold to a UK couple.

Meletis Apostolides was one of thousands of Greek Cypriots who fled his home when Turkish forces invaded in 1974, following a Greek-inspired coup.

The land was later sold to Linda and David Orams, who built a villa on it.

The European Court of Justice says a ruling in a Cypriot court that the villa must be demolished is applicable.

Even if the ECJ ruling cannot be enacted because the land is under Turkish Cypriot control, it means Mr Apostolides will be able to pursue a claim for compensation in a UK court.

It could also open the way for hundreds more Greek Cypriots to demand restitution for properties they were forced to flee.

Many Britons and other foreigners have invested in property in northern Cyprus, despite the legal ownership still being in some doubt.

BBC NEWS | World | Europe | Greek Cypriots 'can reclaim land'

transitpage_dynamique

That will be music to the ears of my lovely neighbours who have had their land and their family homes stolen in the North:D

M

Michaelty

Hi to all at the forum

Hi guys would just like to welcome myself to the forum you can catch me here a little later on.

T

ToodaPido

Teeth Whitening

I have tried sevral over-the-counter teeth whitening products but have not found one that works well.

Does anyone have any advise or experience with some of the products offered online? I prefer using a paste solution instead of the strips.

Thanks in advance...

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
I have tried sevral over-the-counter teeth whitening products but have not found one that works well.

Does anyone have any advise or experience with some of the products offered online? I prefer using a paste solution instead of the strips.

Thanks in advance...
What does tooth whitening have to do with anything on this thread?:rolleyes:

G

GTAman

Yes..I'm the new guy ( Awesome board )

Hello eveyone, I'm new to the forum
I look forward to sharing and exchanging information with everyone!
I have been watching the forum for a while and I just decided to join and participate!
See ya...

C

Cornholio

There's NO escape............

Non-EU buyers not safe from long arm of ECJ ruling
By Stefanos Evripidou
(archive article - Sunday, May 3, 2009)

THE EUROPEAN Court ruling on the Orams case could have worldwide implications for investors in the north, giving Greek Cypriots recourse to assets held outside the European Union, warned a human rights lawyer yesterday.

The ruling opens the door to Greek Cypriot refugees pursuing the assets of foreign “buyers” of their land in any one of the 27 EU member states, and even beyond, said Achilleas Demetriades.

The European Court of Justice ruling (ECJ) backed a Nicosia court’s judgement earlier this week against the British couple who had built a villa on land belonging to refugee Meletis Apostolides.

Assuming the English Court of Appeal adopts the ECJ ruling, Apostolides will be able to enforce the Nicosia court judgement in England by seizing the Orams’ assets in the UK.

The ruling has been described as a “huge blow” to the Turkish Cypriots with ominous consequences predicted for the economy of the breakaway state, heavily reliant on the sale of Greek Cypriot properties to foreigners.

Demetriades argued that the scope of the ruling went beyond simply discouraging EU citizens not to exploit Greek Cypriot land in the north, but was a warning bell for anyone with assets in the EU, or even in third countries outside the Union.

“This not only affects EU citizens, but also any persons with assets in the EU. For example, if you are from Russia, and have assets in Europe, you can still be caught,” he said.

Even if there are difficulties in executing a judgement against the usurper of your land in Cyprus, “you still have 26 other member states to look for enforceability, thereby increasing your chances".

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/non-eu-buyers-not-safe-long-arm-ecj-ruling

Last edited:
Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
It has now also been announced that agents who sold properties in the North without making sure they were not owned by Greek Cypriots can be held responsible and sued.
Justice is TRULY served.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Agents selling property in Northern Cyprus could face legal action

This is an extract from an article which was sent to me

Agents selling property in Northern Cyprus could face legal action by Greek Cypriots with a claim to the land, following an EU court ruling.

The European Court of Justice (ECJ) found that decisions made by the Cypriot judicial system must be enforced by all courts in the EU, even when the rulings relate to property in the Turkish-controlled northern part of the country.

“Up until now, there has been no obligation on agents in Northern Cyprus to find out if there is a claim on the land they are selling and it has been the view that it is up to the buyer to ask their lawyers about the risks involved,” John Howell, senior partner at the International Law Partnership, told OPP.

“Now there is also the view that if the agent knows or suspects illegality then he could be sued for negligence. But this would need to be tested in the courts because it is a new area of law. It’s very difficult to predict what the outcome would be so agents should play it safe.”

D

DouglasHYIPdreamer

I am ready to invest

Hello.
I was invited at Cherryshares, investment pool a month ago but didn't invest with them, because my friend Jay told me that there are programs that pay more.
Such as cashtanker, geniusfunds stoic-capital. What will be better can you advice? I don't want to get scammed.

Veronica

Veronica

Administrator
Hello.
I was invited at Cherryshares, investment pool a month ago but didn't invest with them, because my friend Jay told me that there are programs that pay more.
Such as cashtanker, geniusfunds stoic-capital. What will be better can you advice? I don't want to get scammed.
This has nothing do with this thread. Please keep to thread or it gets everyone confused.

A

allisonasson

Just saying Hello

Hello!
I'm new here, just sign up today! Hoping to make new friends!

C

Cornholio

The icing on the cake!!!!

Northern Cyprus villa judge 'bias' claim rejected

A UK couple face demolition of their villa in Turkish-controlled northern Cyprus after a court ruling affecting hundreds of holiday home owners.

David and Linda Orams, of Hove, Sussex, spent their savings building the villa.

But the European Court then ruled the original landowner retained the property rights he had before being forced away by the Turkish occupation.

And the UK Court of Appeal has rejected claims the judge had close links to the Republic of Cyprus and was biased.

Mrs Orams said she was "very disappointed" by the decision, which affects some 1,400 people - including many Britons - with houses in northern Cyprus of which ownership is disputed.

The island has been divided since 1974 when Turkey occupied the north in response to a military coup on the island.

Talks on reunification have been stuttering for years, with the issue of property rights a major stumbling block.

Mr and Mrs Orams bought their land from the registered owner in accordance with the laws and land registry system of the Turkish area in 2002.

But the original owner - Meletios Apostolides, who fled south after the occupation - maintained his claim to the land.

He was backed by a court in the Republic of Cyprus - before Britain's High Court ruled its decision was unenforceable.

UK judges referred the case to European counterparts after Mr Apostolides appealed against the High Court decision.

BBC News - Northern Cyprus villa judge 'bias' claim rejected

C

Cornholio

Comment............

Our view: Usurpers in the north beware
Published on January 20, 2010

THE JUDGMENT of the UK Court of Appeal on the Orams case will have sent shock waves through the occupied north, where several thousand Britons and other EU citizens bought properties built on land that belongs to Greek Cypriots.

The Court of Appeal ruled that decisions of the Cyprus Courts with regard to the legal rights of Greek Cypriots against individuals using their property could be enforced in the UK. The judgment was final and cannot be subject to an appeal.

David and Linda Orams will now have to comply with the Cyprus Court orders: stop trespassing on the land belonging to Meletis Apostolides, return the plot on which their house was built to him, pay him rent for the period they were using the plot, demolish the villa they had built on the land and pay legal fees. They have 14 days to do this or face the consequences of being in contempt of court in the UK.

Other usurpers of Greek Cypriot properties in the occupied north might not feel they are in immediate danger of suffering a similar fate to the Orams, but they will still have to live with the uncertainty and fear. And they will likely be stuck with properties which, even though bought on the cheap, would have no resale value. There will not be too many people putting in offers for holiday homes in the north after the judgment of the Court of Appeal, and rightly so.

The judgment could prove the final blow to the north’s construction industry, which has been struggling since the start of the Orams case; it is also bad news for the ailing Turkish Cypriot economy. Mehmet Ali Talat’s re-election prospects could also have been wrecked by the ruling as he will be held primarily responsible for what has happened – he has come under criticism for his handling of the case by the Turkish Cypriot press.

Of course, the judgment could have a positive effect if it brought home the need for a political settlement and persuaded the Turkish Cypriot side to soften its stance at the negotiations so an agreement could be reached. Failure to reach a deal now will be disastrous for the pseudo-state as it would only be economically viable as a province of Turkey, a prospect that would not appeal to the majority of Turkish Cypriots.

And the Greek Cypriot side, which was in celebratory mood after the judgment, should not get carried away and start believing again that the Cyprus problem could be solved in the courts. The judgment gives us another bargaining tool, which must be utilised at the talks, but it does not eliminate the need for a political settlement. Apostolides may have won a big legal victory, but we should not lose sight of the fact that he would still be unable to use his plot of land in Lapithos.

Our view: Usurpers in the north beware - Cyprus Mail

J

Journals009

Truth triumphs

It is good to hear the end of the war in the land issue and the justice is served..

C

Cornholio

Update............

New blow for Orams couple
By Jimmy Mavroudis
January 30, 2010

THE ENGLISH Appeals Court yesterday turned down the Orams’ request to appeal the court’s recent decision regarding a Greek Cypriot owned property in the occupied areas.

The British couple, Linda and David Orams who illegally built a villa on land belonging to refugee Meletis Apostolides in Lapithos were told that they would not be allowed to appeal the court’s decision. The court also rejected the Orams’ legal team’s efforts to secure a 42-day stay of execution to see how the decision to demolish the house could be implemented.

Apostolides’ lawyer, Constantis Candounas, last night told CyBC radio that the court had also instructed the couple to pay £600,000 sterling in legal expenses.

He said this was not the total amount calculated but that the court usually estimated around half of the total costs, which would put the total in the region of over £1 million which he’d first estimated.

Furthermore, Candounas said the court had told the Orams to return the £75,000 sterling his client had been forced to pay the Britons when Apostolides initially lost the case in 2006.

Earlier this month the English Appeals Court ruled in favour of Apostolides, ordering the Orams to demolish the home they built on his land, return the property and pay back rent (£300 for every month since 2002 plus interest) and legal costs.

Last week Candounas said if the Orams failed to pay what was due Apostolides could go after their assets in the UK, following the latest seminal ruling. If the couple failed to demolish the house in the occupied areas and to stop trespassing, they would be in contempt of court and then it was up to the court to decide how to react.

However the Turkish Cypriot side has repeatedly said it would not issue the planning permission needed for the Orams to demolish the house. The couple have packed up their belongings and said they are staying with friends in the north for the moment.

New blow for Orams couple | Cyprus Mail

Last edited:
Amber

Amber

To get back on track with this thread !!!.... There are so many Cypriot refugees , in there own country , Its shameful that they are deprived of their birthright . How can anyone buy land in a foreign country without researching everything first !!! Let Justice begin , and return Famagusta to its rightful owner's .. of a few i know , instead of carrying the pain .

Last edited by a moderator:
M

marisa

Yes you are right, let all cypriots have their justice. Don't forget that there are two sides to every story and that cypriots from the north were also displaced. They were the ones who also voted YES to reunite the island just a few years ago, but that vote was totally ignored by the south and the rest of the world. Where is the justice you talk about now?