ad

Is real estate the new pension of choice?

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
Not such an easy one to answer as there are so many variables to consider, from not just the country you choose to invest in, but often which part of a city. Liquidity is also a factor that should be considered i.e. can you get your money back out again quickly if you need it? At least with the stock market you can sell it fast. So, on reflection my advice would be to always have a balanced portfolio of investments from risky shares in start ups to blue chip corporations and the same goes for real estate. Have something in a regeneration area and something else that is in the best possible area/street you can afford. Lastly, stick to markets you know and understand. Why take the risk of buying in London when you live in Leeds or investing in high tech stocks if you are a medic?

Happy investing
Nigel K Bell
Hi Nigel,

I totally agree with many of your points. Although property can seem an obvious and safe place to invest, thorough research should never be overlooked! I don't agree that it's necessarily any more of a risk to invest in a different city to where you live though. You can do just as much research through property professionals in a city you don't live in, as where you do live. Plus the location you live in doesn't always lend itself to the best Yield or ROI if house prices are high. I actually think people sometimes miss out on opportunities as they are too wary about investing away from their own immediate geographic location, and that doesn't always make financial sense.

But in terms of a pension - property is excellent if you get it right :)

J

Jane Britan

I agree.Property Investment is one of the best long term investments one can make. Property market or Real estate business is always known as dream market for the investors. One should invest wisely going through all terms and conditions.

J

Jennifer Martin

Real Estate is a good long term investment plan. And it won't be wrong to say that rental income from such investment will be slowly considered as a Pension Fund.

N

nmb

For those a little concerned about the liquidity of property markets around the world there is the option of buying units in collective investment vehicles such as property investment trusts. These investment trusts will be far more liquid than property markets with tradable units valued on a regular basis. However, I still feel the greater long-term benefits lay fairly and squarely with investment in actual real estate assets where possible.

J

Jeff Martin

Investing in a real estate can give you more profits but you have to go with the current scenario

Last edited by a moderator: