ad

Is Manchester the best city in the UK in which to be a landlord?

D

diyhelp

I lived in Manchester for many years and it is thriving - there is also a large student presence which bodes well for student accommodation developments which are in vogue at the moment - and offer very good rental cashflow.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
When the government finally gets around to delivering on the promised "northern powerhouses", Manchester will be at the top of the list. It has a thriving financial sector, busy retail industry, large student population, excellent infrastructure and a nightlife which is probably only bettered by London. All in all, on the up.

R

realdeals

There are also other places to take into account such as Newcastle upon Tyne, Birmingham and Liverpool (Liverpool would be one of my favourites in the longer term).

P

Paolo Agostinelli

When any article talks about "best", it really depends on what each individual's objective is...is it cash flow? Is it capital appreciation? Is it a combination of both? Is it even something else? Also, let's remember that valuation of any asset is mostly determined by the quality and consistency of cash flow. The fewer risk factors a cash flowing asset has to continue to cash flow in the future uninterrupted, the more valuable it is. Though, if you're able to manage certain risks that the market has factored into the price of an asset, you can increase your yield accordingly. Again, it all depends what your investment objectives are when it comes to determining "the best" of anything.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
Security of cashflow/tenants at an attractive rental price is what I look for in markets. Having lived in Manchester for many years in the past I know the potential of the area - a great mix of student demand and a blooming financial/business sector. The local authorities have also invested heavily in infrastructure and property development seems to be non-stop in the area.