Is it time to look at Spanish property?

• Thread starter Nicholas Wallwork
  • Start date
Nicholas Wallwork

Nicholas Wallwork

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Since the height of the Euro crisis the Spanish economy has been mired deep in recession so news of the first quarterly increase in Spanish gross domestic product for 2 years has been well received by investors. While an increase of 0.1% in GDP between July and September is minimal and may not signal the [...]

Click to Read The Full Story and Add your Own Comments to Is it time to look at Spanish property?

S

santjust

Now it is definitely the time to buy property in Spain. Nevertheless, don’t expect to get a big return of investment quickly. When buying, take a very good look at the property value, as you will have to take into account that the property prices will keep on falling. Buy smart and at a good location.

We always recommend using a prominent agent to take care of your property. You can rent it out and make some money. Again, do not expect huge gains. If any agent tries to convince you of the contrary, best is not to work with him.

andyhoney

andyhoney

Caixa Bank believes that 2014 will be a key year for "laying the foundations on which the future growth of the Spanish economy will be based". It forecasts that Spain will start to create jobs in the second quarter of 2014, and that the end of adjustments to house price is in sight. For this reason it believes that both house sales and house prices will stabilise in 2015.

The bank thinks that price adjustments in the housing market will end soon, although this does not mean that there will not be further falls in prices. In fact, it expects house values to continue declining over coming quarters, even though it does not rule out "occasional increases".

According to the bank´s forecasts, which are based on an analysis of the recovery of the property market in the US and the figures for house sales in Spain, house prices will start to climb in 2015. Caixa argues that sales, which are usually more sensitive to changes in supply and demand than prices, are close to registering positive growth figures in year-on-year terms. "If the economy starts to recover, and stimulates an improvement in the job market, we believe that the pace of sales will gradually pick up" concluded the bank.

T

totallyproperty

Administrator
Staff member
I am starting to agree the worst may be over - many people seem to be waiting for the final sell-off but stagnation in the market has hit prices already so perhaps the worst is over?

Whether the market bounces very quickly depends upon how desperate and how quickly repossessed properties are put up for sale. If the Spanish banks holding repossessed property are careful, there is no reason why we should see any major disruption to prices in the short to medium term?

Or am I being a little too optimistic?

S

santjust

You cannot really trust Banks on their analysis nor their previsions. They are not in direct contact with the market. Banks actually consult us about what the market is willing to pay for a property. There is no doubt and I can guarantee you that the prices will keep on falling.

Locations where no new properties can be build will stabilize, but will definitely not increase at high rates. Price increase will be linked to availability and the price people are willing to pay. Newly build, empty buildings, half-empty buildings, areas where there is a lot for sale, will keep on declining.

The bad bank is dumping properties on the market. Big investors buy and resell it at a competitive market price. This means that second hand property prices are also affected. The value loss of those properties are not reflected in their calculations, as they are not on the market.

Why do I recommend to buy? Banks and investors are in need of Cash. This is your ammunition to negotiate. I can guarantee you a discount will be given if you can prove you have the money to buy.

This is another reason why I say, that prices will keep on falling. Property owners will eventually sell below asking price. We are selling to French, Spanish, Russians, Dutch, Belgian, North Africans and Spanish people.

For the last couple of year we have sold record number of properties at discounted rates. Before the economic slump, nobody accepted offers made by buyers. It was the other way around, the buyer became the highest bidder. Now the buyer picks his property and buys from the highest discounter.