Is it time to look at buying student accommodation?

F

FWL

The recent headlines do not make good reading for those investors heavily exposed to student accommodation. However, once the virus is over and we have a vaccine, surely everything the return to normal?

It is now the best time to start looking at picking up student accommodation or is there perhaps worse to come?

P

PostBrexitInvestor

The main question here is how secure is rental income for both halls of residence and private student accommodation? Many of the new student accommodation blocks were built around communal areas which are now highly dangerous. Unfortunately, I think there may be worse to come for the student accommodation sector!

L

lookinginvest

I think if you keep your powder dry, you will see a lot of private and commercial student accommodation being sold off cheaply. The second leg of the pandemic is yet to really get going so the impact on student accommodation still has some way to go.

T

Theo_Ch

In deed, I agree with you, however, no need to proceed with the purchase of strictly a student accommodation property. What could be done, is purchase a property that mostly offers studios, and maybe an addition of 2-3 apartments of 1 or maybe 2 bedrooms, and this would be great investment, whether the pandemic will still be at large or not.

GO the extra mile and offer to your tenants/students, free WiFi as well and this will probably guarantee you all year round tenancy.

L

Longterminvestor

Administrator
I think there will be a time to mop up student accommodation at extremely attractive prices. There is talk of students not being allowed home for Christmas which will cause many more uncomfortable headlines for governments in the UK. Once the coronavirus pandemic is over, student accommodation will be in demand again.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

One thing which seems to have emerged on the back of the coronavirus pandemic is the arrangement that universities have with private student rental accommodation. It would appear that the universities have guaranteed a certain level of capacity for the developers otherwise they will incur financial penalties. Something to bear in mind for the future?

S

Susy23

we bought a small studio recently, cause were afraid of the financial crisis
imho, rental income isn't that great, nevertheless, even if it doesn't buy out you still got an apartment, right?

B

bracknelson

On one side Student accommodation properties are the higher-than-average rental yields but on the other hand, there’s a lot more flux. It depends whether the property for students is nearby to profitable areas like universities, Institutions, etc. So there is no doubt to go with this idea.

D

Dora Wi

In my opinion these days it would be good to look into investing as prices might not go any lower. Investing in student accommodation sounds like a good idea, as long as you carefully select the location, there is always demand for them.

N

NicolaQeen

Many students, entering American universities, find housing on campus. But not everyone has this opportunity. Some have to look for a rented apartment. And this task sometimes turns out to be difficult. Sometimes it is difficult to do this even in your own city. So buying a home will definitely be a great solution for you! As soon as I entered asa college miami florida I immediately thought about it. And already in the third year I was able to buy my own home. So set yourself a goal, define a budget and go ahead!