Is it better to have an Egyptian Passport

O

Organics1

Hi All,

As I just posted in another thread I am just trying to do some research before possibly, quite possibly, actually very possibly making the move to Hurghada.

My Father is Egyptian so I am entitled to obtaining dual nationalities and getting an Egyptian passport.

I am wondering if it is worth doing and are there any advantages in doing so?

I know for example when I went to Sharm on the ferry the nationals paid a quarter of what foreigners paid so there's one example of a benefit but I'm talking about more important things like taxes, registering property, buying a car, Health benefits (if there are any) employment, education discounts and anything else anyone can think of.

Or will it be a case of use my UK passport sometimes and use my Egyptian passport sometimes depending on the situation.

All opinions welcome.

L

Lsab

I can't really help on the tax situation because we don't live there but my husband has dual nationality and finds that when in Egypt, the Egyptian passport is better for everything. He uses his UK passport on leaving whichever country we're leaving from, and his Egyptian one from the minute he lands in Cairo. I think that you'll find that the Egyptian government has one rule for nationals and another for foreigners in most instances. Buying a car for example, from what I've read on the forum, is not straightforward for non-nationals and I think you'll find the same applies across the board.

O

Organics1

I can't really help on the tax situation because we don't live there but my husband has dual nationality and finds that when in Egypt, the Egyptian passport is better for everything. He uses his UK passport on leaving whichever country we're leaving from, and his Egyptian one from the minute he lands in Cairo. I think that you'll find that the Egyptian government has one rule for nationals and another for foreigners in most instances. Buying a car for example, from what I've read on the forum, is not straightforward for non-nationals and I think you'll find the same applies across the board.
Hi Lsab,

As always thanks for the reply and I thought that might be the case but I thought I'd ask around.

From the lack of replies it seems that there are very few if any members on this forum who are 100% Egyptian or have dual Nationalities which is a shame as I was hoping for a bit more feedback.

I guess the only way to find things like this out is to go out there myself and do my own research.

L

Lsab

I know that Peter Mitry is half Egyptian and I assume that he has dual nationality. Although he's always very busy perhaps you could PM him and get his opinion.

O

Organics1

I know that Peter Mitry is half Egyptian and I assume that he has dual nationality. Although he's always very busy perhaps you could PM him and get his opinion.
Thanks I will do just that :)