Investors against interpretation of law no 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

duncheski

legal advice re islamic mortgage

I wondered how law 13 affects my position - I purchased a 2 bed apartment off plan in the marina in oct 2008 for 1.5 million. I took out an islamic mortgage and put down 15% deposit. I was advised numerous times that i wouldn't need to pay a penny until the property was complete - around 2.5 yrs estimated from date of purchase. I was then subsequently advised that i would need to paya small 'profit' payment each month until completion but that this would not amount to more than 1,000 dhs/month.

6 months later i find i am paying an average of around 5,500/month with further increases to come once the bank release more funds to the developer, rising to a max of around 7,500/month.

I am obviously very annoyed to say the least that over the 3-4 month period prior to purchasing the property i was never told about the severity of my financial commitments despite numerous questions asked about this. The sales/purchase agreement is not totally clear.

I want to know

a) if i have a case of suing the bank for negligence. Apart from the crashing market since october i am faced with paying a total of around 250,000 dhs pre-completion which will be made up entirely of interest payments, ie none of the capital borrowe will have been paid off! What a scam these islamic mortgages are.

b) Whether the recent law that all properties need to be registered with land department is relevant - ie if my property isn't registered am i entitled to recover my interest payments made to date and also cancel the deal, ie get my deposit back?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Duncan

I've since done some research on islamic mortgages and the general advice is that you are not supposed to be pay anything prior to completion of the property. I wish i'd gone with a conventional mortgage, i might be paying more per month but at least some of the capital would be paid off.

A

AjmanInvestor

Banned
Law 13 in its original form applies to the whole of UAE or only to Dubai

There is no Law 13 in Ajman, nothing to apply there.
There is no agreement or contract also signed by investors for garden city project then what is the law then.....if law 13 doesnt apply to Ajman......Can anybody guide and clarify this matter about Ajman law 13

What happens if you want to cancel the booking and want refund of your money.....

Thanks
All the best to all investors buyers in the UAE property

F

fsjstar

we are moor than 4 floors investors in Sobha Sapphire building in Bussunes Bay
the developer go to RERA ,and RERA give us final 30 days notice to make the due payments or they are going to cancel our purchased floor and Cancellation of Contract & Forfeiture our money
can you advice us what to do

A

Ajmanprop

There is no agreement or contract also signed by investors for garden city project then what is the law then.....if law 13 doesnt apply to Ajman......Can anybody guide and clarify this matter about Ajman law 13

What happens if you want to cancel the booking and want refund of your money.....

Thanks
All the best to all investors buyers in the UAE property
AjmanInvestor:
I haven't seen a copy of the new Ajman Laws - but there is some provision there that developers are counting on - that will allow them to forfeit more than whatever is specified in your contract. As a result, of this law, or because of their own cash flow difficulties - some developers are stalling cancellations...ie they take them, and then sit on it - without processing a refund.

Ironically, they do this while ignoring the escrow account provision of the new Ajman law - they ask you to continue payments into a non-escrow account, while at the same time referring to upcoming changes as a way of stalling any refund process.

For instance, I saw someone on another forum - that is holding cancellation notices... acknowledged and agreed to by the developer in Ajman - from 2-3 months ago - where the developer is now refusing/stalling the refund. Short of going and consulting a lawyer, going to court if you have to - I don't think the developer will get moving.

The whole escrow account, ARRA etc. in Ajman is covered under Decree 8 or something. Law 13 is specific to Dubai.

For what its worth.

Regards

Last edited:
A

AjmanInvestor

Banned
What is decree 8 in Ajman Does anyone know about it please clarify and put some light

AjmanInvestor:
I haven't seen a copy of the new Ajman Laws - but there is some provision there that developers are counting on - that will allow them to forfeit more than whatever is specified in your contract. As a result, of this law, or because of their own cash flow difficulties - some developers are stalling cancellations...ie they take them, and then sit on it - without processing a refund.

Ironically, they do this while ignoring the escrow account provision of the new Ajman law - they ask you to continue payments into a non-escrow account, while at the same time referring to upcoming changes as a way of stalling any refund process.

For instance, I saw someone on another forum - that is holding cancellation notices... acknowledged and agreed to by the developer in Ajman - from 2-3 months ago - where the developer is now refusing/stalling the refund. Short of going and consulting a lawyer, going to court if you have to - I don't think the developer will get moving.

The whole escrow account, ARRA etc. in Ajman is covered under Decree 8 or something. Law 13 is specific to Dubai.

For what its worth.

Regards
What is decree 8 in Ajman Does anyone know about it please clarify and put some light

D

DXB FK

can someone advise me what is going on with the trump refunds now?

A

Ajmanprop

Law 9

Is it just me? Or does anyone else think this new law is yet another nail in the investors coffin / another loophole for the crooked developers?

Specifically - this clause:
"If the developer has not been able to start construction “without any negligence or omission on the developer’s part”, the developer may keep 30 per cent of the money paid by the buyer to that point."

There are tons of stories from buyers whose projects have been delayed for 2 yrs+ and who were forced to pay 30% of the total purchase price - with no construction start .... and who now stand to loose it all.... (of course, those whose developers self confess to negligence and omission are spared). :eek:

What's more - this law is retroactive - and supersedes anything in the contract!

The rest of the law seems OK - provided - refunds clauses as stated are enforced.

Full article here:
Refund sliding scale for defaulters - The National Newspaper

National's blog (further explained):
The National Blog (see Law 9 is Official)

Last edited:
Y

yort

Hi,
Thank you for the initiative.
I tryied to send you an email
at
investorsagainstinterpretationoflawno13 @ live . com
It doesnt pass.
Could you please check?

Wait for the answer
Thanks
olga

C

christine1

I think someone mentioned that they have a judgement from supreme court. I am sure that law no. 13 should be clear by now!

Y

yort

How to join ? Mohhamed

How to join the group
Your email doesnt work. Please check and wait for the answer!
To Mohhamed

A

antcyn

are you still active. what about ajman. i have a goldcrest property which has been partially built and now the construction is stopped and developer asking for more money.
call me at 050-5487945

Status
Not open for further replies.