investment strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
My strategy is water front property in an area that has just become a popular tourist destination in the last 3-5 years. Preferably with a population of 12,000 or more.

I have not done a great deal of investing in non-U.S. properties but those that I have on the above guide lines have done very well for me.
James,

I can see how that strategy would work very well, but I am interested to know how come you chose a population of 12,000 and not 10,000 or 15,000?

Rob.

D

davehoskings

Dave, could you tell us where your properties are ? I'd be very interested to hear . You certainly seem to know just about everything. By the way I looked at the photo and can't see any garbage. I do agree though that it looks far from pleasant.
I think Dotty was claiming to know everything, which is how this discussion started.

You may notice that Dotty doesn't come back with details when asked anything, maybe because she exaggerates?

I have land in RN & CE, and apartments/villas in RN & BA. I currently own 11 properties with 7 of them in Brazil. I am currently selling 3 of them and negotiating to buy another large plot of land.

S

surfingbrazil

I have managed to scan the picture in that made laugh so much.
Hi Dave,

If you do not like litter, you better buy something in Sweden or Montecarlo for that matter.
In Brazil, with a few exceptions in the Southern part, you will find litter, plastic bags, dead animals once in a while and the omnipresent “urubu” taking care of them.

As far as the boring picture you enclosed, it only shows that you know nothing about Buzios RN.
Not more than Dotty keeping asking for the lakes. ( ????? ).
In fact, Buzios it is one of the best beaches closed to Natal RN, where a lot of well-off Brazilians have a second residence.

I enclose a good picture, showing the building where I have a couple of units for sale at Brazilian price.

By the way I am the owner, not an agent.

Moreover, as I have said before in the famous post “ blindness and stupidity when investing in Brazil “, I do not believe in rental returns, guaranteed rentals, off-plans in the middle of the boom docks and all that crap.
International tourism in Brazil is down and the bottom is not reached yet.
But Brazil is an excellent place for somebody who likes spending holidays there and as long-term investment.

Attachments

D

davehoskings

Hi Dave,

If you do not like litter, you better buy something in Sweden or Montecarlo for that matter.
In Brazil, with a few exceptions in the Southern part, you will find litter, plastic bags, dead animals once in a while and the omnipresent “urubu” taking care of them.

As far as the boring picture you enclosed, it only shows that you know nothing about Buzios RN.
In fact, Buzios it is one of the best beaches closed to Natal RN, where a lot of well-off Brazilians have a second residence.

I enclose a good picture, showing the building where I have a couple of units for sale at Brazilian price.

Moreover, as I have said before in the famous post “ blindness and stupidity when investing in Brazil “, I do not believe in rental returns, guaranteed rentals, off-plans in the middle of the boom docks and all that crap.
But Brazil is an excellent place for somebody who likes spending holidays there and as long-term investment.
Please remember I didn't take the picture, the picture is a scan from the Rumo guide for RN & Paraíba, so maybe they forgot to photoshop it.

I do know Buzios well which is why i won't put my money there and I can see why you don't bother with rentals as there is not a market in buzios except for maybe 1 month per year at xmas/ny.

How long have you been trying to sell your propertys there, looks like for quite a while according to this? http://www.totallyproperty.com/brazil-property/7971-your-impressions-tabatinga-buzios-natal.html#post55871

I am not sure about rich Brazilians buying houses there, rich Natalese yes. If you want rich Brazilians head further down the coast.

Can you show me the latest int. tourist figures? I think everyone would like to see them.

I nearly forgot, I like the way you promote your own post as being famous, lol....

Last edited:
D

Dotty

Banned
As for Dave he automatically assumes everybody is an agent and nobody knows anything about Brasil even the people who have lived in Brasil and travelled around Brasil for many yrs.He also hasn't a clue about who owns what in Buzios(he'd be quite surprised if he knew,but I doubt if they'd be his cup of tea and they are the weatlhiest!!)

How many lakes are there Dave and what are they called??:rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

J

jamesww

James,

I can see how that strategy would work very well, but I am interested to know how come you chose a population of 12,000 and not 10,000 or 15,000?

Rob.

It has to do with statistics that different corps. use to determine where they will open stores or offices. The population usually has to hit that point before the density is high enough for chains and international outfits to invest in commercial projects. Long term staying power for a tourist destination usually depends on shopping opportunities. 12,000 is however somewhat abortrary as sometimes it is not enough to reach the correct density and occasionally your 10,000 number is. The trouble I have run into is that it is much to difficult to search for density but population numbers are readly available.

Hope that explains it.

D

davehoskings

As for Dave he automatically assumes everybody is an agent and nobody knows anything about Brasil even the people who have lived in Brasil and travelled around Brasil for many yrs.He also hasn't a clue about who owns what in Buzios(he'd be quite surprised if he knew,but I doubt if they'd be his cup of tea and they are the weatlhiest!!)

How many lakes are there Dave and what are they called??:rolleyes:
Surely that isn't the best you can come up with Dotty? LOL.

Who gives a **** what the lakes in Buzios are called, it is still a dump, and me possesing that information won't change that fact.

Do tell us who owns houses in Buzios RN though?

M

Mineiro

As for Buzios RN I don't think it's anyones cup of tea unless they're from Natal . Whenever I see these photos of developments in RN or FTZ I really can't imagine why anyone would pay over half as much as a resort such as Terravista , which has the best golf course in Latin America, let alone alone one of the most beautiful coastlines, with a Club Med right next door .It somehow doesn't really sum up. Perhaps someone can explain ?

D

Dotty

Banned
Dave,

It is obvious that your experience here is limited and for some reason you seem to be against Brasilians and their land ,yet you choose to invest here.As for Delphi,it is run impeccably by a brilliantly ,bright female who has an excellent reputation and respect in Brasil(not just Natal)so I just don't understand why you have this problem with the company.Customers have been very happy over the yrs and continue to be.

Happy dabbling!:rolleyes:
In my book that makes you a dabbler, not a property investor, I live off the proceeds I make. I also don't need to lie about the places I have bought in to ensure there is interest in my property.

Is the lagoon question a trick question? What about this for an answer: The lagoons are in buzios.

BTW, I heard some more interesting stories about your favorite developer Delphi, there seem to be a few licensing problems with a couple of their projects.

D

Dotty

Banned
That's funny,

People who live in Natal prefer not to travel too far to get to the beaches,so they frequent(in the holiday periods mainly)and it's one big happy family that is shared and enjoyed by friends and families.Buzios is close to Natal so it's easy to get to for work so it makes it ideal.Brasilians mainly eat at home(with family and friends),so restaurants are not the most important things to have. I like it the way and the beach and it's waves are amazing.It's close to home and that makes it convenient.:)
As for Buzios RN I don't think it's anyones cup of tea unless they're from Natal . Whenever I see these photos of developments in RN or FTZ I really can't imagine why anyone would pay over half as much as a resort such as Terravista , which has the best golf course in Latin America, let alone alone one of the most beautiful coastlines, with a Club Med right next door .It somehow doesn't really sum up. Perhaps someone can explain ?

M

Mineiro

That's funny,

People who live in Natal prefer not to travel too far to get to the beaches,so they frequent(in the holiday periods mainly)and it's one big happy family that is shared and enjoyed by friends and families.Buzios is close to Natal so it's easy to get to for work so it makes it ideal.Brasilians mainly eat at home(with family and friends),so restaurants are not the most important things to have. I like it the way and the beach and it's waves are amazing.It's close to home and that makes it convenient.:)
Dotty , as I said it must have a large following from Natal but that's far from saying it's a good place for gringos to buy a property . I don't know about restaurants there but last weekend I went to the best 2 star restaurant ( the maximum is 3 stars such as Fasano in São Paulo ) according to Guia Quatro Rodas and it was at best mediocre. The name " La Pyramide " in Ribeirão Preto . Lets face it the coastline in Buzios from the photos certainly isn't your tropical dream ,is it ? If you're paying for the waves then you must be a surfer.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
It has to do with statistics that different corps. use to determine where they will open stores or offices. The population usually has to hit that point before the density is high enough for chains and international outfits to invest in commercial projects. Long term staying power for a tourist destination usually depends on shopping opportunities. 12,000 is however somewhat abortrary as sometimes it is not enough to reach the correct density and occasionally your 10,000 number is. The trouble I have run into is that it is much to difficult to search for density but population numbers are readly available.

Hope that explains it.
It sounds very interesting and makes a lot of sense.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Mineiro,

First of all we don't sell Buzios or Tabatinga for reasons that I have gone into many times before, but correct me if I am wrong, a plot plus villa at Terravista starts at R$480k going up to R$2m? Those prices were from 2007.

Rob.

J

JMBroad

Surfing -

Had no idea you were the owner of Sunshine Flats - I walked around it a couple of months ago and took some pictures of your development and the area in general (part of the research is to know as much as possible about every development in the area so I photograph and visit as many as I can).

Despite our differences in opinion I would have knocked on the door and introduced myself if I had known. Maybe next time.

D

Dotty

Banned
It is not a gringos place .It is very Natalese and let's hope it stays that way. The beach is beautiful to walk along and the waves are stunning(no I do not surf) and
the lagoons are wonderful .

According to Dave , Jericoacoara is nothing special and it has one of the best landscapes in the world what is to millions of brasilians a national treasure.:)
Dotty , as I said it must have a large following from Natal but that's far from saying it's a good place for gringos to buy a property . I don't know about restaurants there but last weekend I went to the best 2 star restaurant ( the maximum is 3 stars such as Fasano in São Paulo ) according to Guia Quatro Rodas and it was at best mediocre. The name " La Pyramide " in Ribeirão Preto . Lets face it the coastline in Buzios from the photos certainly isn't your tropical dream ,is it ? If you're paying for the waves then you must be a surfer.

S

surfingbrazil

Hi JM

Surfing -

Had no idea you were the owner of Sunshine Flats - I walked around it a couple of months ago and took some pictures of your development and the area in general (part of the research is to know as much as possible about every development in the area so I photograph and visit as many as I can).

Despite our differences in opinion I would have knocked on the door and introduced myself if I had known. Maybe next time.
Hi JM,

I did not say ”I was the owner of Sunshine Flats”. There are about 40 apartments there.
What I said was that I was the owner of a couple of units of Sunshine Flats for sale.
This was mentioned in order to clarify that I was not an agent.

Well as a matter of fact a couple of friends / associates and myself own a sizeable part of those in the 2nd and 3rd floor, but we do not even bother to try to rent them; the rent does not pay for the headache.
The secret, underlying value of Sunshine Flats as a whole is actually the enormous parking lot with a waterfront location. Not easy to exploit though.

I love Buzios for obvious reasons (surfing…. of course) and do have another property there but when in Natal, I prefer to stay in my apartment of Ponta Negra.

About the beer…. “Com certeza! se eu estiver la seja bemvindo pra bater um papo com uma Skol bem geladinha !"
All the best,

Surfing

D

davehoskings

It is not a gringos place .It is very Natalese and let's hope it stays that way. The beach is beautiful to walk along and the waves are stunning(no I do not surf) and
the lagoons are wonderful .

According to Dave , Jericoacoara is nothing special and it has one of the best landscapes in the world what is to millions of brasilians a national treasure.:)
Dotty, you must be smoking something .... Brazil's national treasures are places like the Amazon, Iguassu Waterfalls & Rio.

One of the best landscapes in the world? It is a beautiful place but as I said it is overrated, I have seen much better in many places even in Brazil let alone the world.

D

davehoskings

Dave,

It is obvious that your experience here is limited and for some reason you seem to be against Brasilians and their land ,yet you choose to invest here.As for Delphi,it is run impeccably by a brilliantly ,bright female who has an excellent reputation and respect in Brasil(not just Natal)so I just don't understand why you have this problem with the company.Customers have been very happy over the yrs and continue to be.

Happy dabbling!:rolleyes:
The only thing I am against is people like you with hidden agendas decieving people and not providing one iota of proof for any so called fact you proclaim.

R

robh

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Mineiro,

First of all we don't sell Buzios or Tabatinga for reasons that I have gone into many times before, but correct me if I am wrong, a plot plus villa at Terravista starts at R$480k going up to R$2m? Those prices were from 2007.

Rob.
Mineiro,

Is Terravista still selling? I haven't been there but looking at the website it looks like the whole development has been sold.

Rob.

D

Dotty

Banned
Deary me!

Now please get back to investment strategies and stay on track and try to be more positive .:rolleyes:

Happy dabbling.
Dotty, you must be smoking something .... Brazil's national treasures are places like the Amazon, Iguassu Waterfalls & Rio.

One of the best landscapes in the world? It is a beautiful place but as I said it is overrated, I have seen much better in many places even in Brazil let alone the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.