ad

Investing today, would you go for a developed or developing property market?

N

nmb

There are many potentially exciting opportunities in the worldwide real estate market due to the ongoing volatility of economies around the world. So, if you were investing into real estate today, would you go for a developed or a developing property market?

M

Michelle Barringer

Forum Partner
It would depend on your level of knowledge of the market - the more info you have the more informed a decision you can make - everything carries a risk and you make your investment decisions based on your assessment of that risk - in a developed market you can often make a more informed decision - whereas in a developing market things can be more volatile making the options more difficult to assess - but the returns can be great - so worth the extra work to evaluate - ideally you need a bit of both in your portfolio

P

PropEx

It would have to depend where the developing property markets were. Generally they would be in the less developed countries where corruption is more widespread(although people might not agree with that). If you were definitely going to get your rent paid etc, I honestly wouldn't care where the property is, but with that brings more research, unless you have people on the ground in those areas/countries.

On another note, how do I start a thread on here?

N

nmb

Personally I think it all comes down to the risk/reward ratio and your appetite for risk. However, there is also a need to create a balanced portfolio in the longer term to ensure that you live to fight another day if one of your "more speculative" investments does not perform.

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
It would have to depend where the developing property markets were. Generally they would be in the less developed countries where corruption is more widespread(although people might not agree with that). If you were definitely going to get your rent paid etc, I honestly wouldn't care where the property is, but with that brings more research, unless you have people on the ground in those areas/countries.

On another note, how do I start a thread on here?
To start a new thread you will see a 'New Thread' button on the top right when you're in any forum :)

KGeeson

KGeeson

Property Forum Staff
Forum Partner
A developed market would be more secure but you might struggle to find a deal if it's a popular area for investment, but a developing market could present more opportunity with more risk. Due diligence needs to be your best friend, whichever you choose!

P

PropEx

To start a new thread you will see a 'New Thread' button on the top right when you're in any forum :)
Haha the sad thing is, I have started a new thread before, but for some reason I can't see the 'New Thread' button now. I thought it might have been because I only joined the site a few weeks ago. Thanks, I will have a look now!

M

MichaelG

It is important to know what you are doing very well before entering this field.
if you don't know it good enough. Find someone good to guide you!

M

MichaelG

KGeeson Hi you sound really professional..like your way of writing.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Michael