Investing in Monte Santo

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MJS

Monte Santo Resort

As already indicated in one of the previous posts, Mr Azy Leite is the Condominium and Owner Services Manager for Imocom's Residential Tourism resorts and can clarify matters related to the Rental Contract, Owner usage, Services, the Owners Club and the Condominium. He can be contacted at: azy (dot) leite (at) imocom-grupo (dot) com or alternatively at 00 351 289 304 900.

Feel free to contact him to schedule an appointment locally in person.

L

Lysos

Joanne,

Read my recent post about Portugal. There is much better value to be had elsewhere, in the Eastern algarve, close to the Spanish border. You will get far more property for your money, the area is developing, with new golf courses and facilities, the area appeals to families. There are English agents who will advertise your property, manage changeovers and everything else you need. I am not an agent, but recently spent a week in my friend's villa there; she lets it out in July & August (always full) and the returns cover the mortgage and all other outgoings for the year.Do some basic research on rental/demand before you invest anywhere,. These new complexes will promise you anything to get you to sign on the dotted line. If you buy a resale property you can ask to see the 'books' so you get an idea of real returns, not just projected returns, which, unless the complex is contracted to a holiday company are nothing more than wild, extemely optimistic guesses.

M

manor park

Lysos

Very interested to read your post, I wonder where you were as I have just bought in eastern Algarve and think that the whole area from Faro to Spain will grow a lot in the next few years, it also benefits from some of the best climate.

MP

L

Lysos

MP,

Near the small town of Vila Nova de Cacela, and two minutes from the new golf course of Monte Rey.

My view is that if you are letting your own individual property, you can customise it to make it unique to attract clients (if, indeed that is your aim). On a large complex, you are competing with hundreds of other properties; in addition, as I said earlier, the rental returns 'promised' to buyers in Monte Santo are totally unachievable, as basic research would indicate. If the rental is 'guaranteed' then it is invariably factored into the selling price. I dread to think what the service charges will be !.

J

Jumbo1

Lysos, I believe that there is not a lot wrong with the advice you are giving. The one factor you are ignoring is that Monte Santo is being built as a luxury resort with finishes to the highest standards. We looked at property in France, Spain and the Florida (and considered several other countries as well) before choosing to buy in Portugal. We then looked at a good few properties and developments before we choose Monte Santo. It, quite simply, had a superior standard of finish (in the show house and promised for the rest) to anything else we had seen. That, combined with the facilities and the location, made it our choice. Admittedly, rental return was not our first priority, but I will be surprised if it does not eventually let at a premium.

You do appear to be ignoring the fact that it is not just an average bunch of condos that we are talking about here. It was built and marketed as a 5 star (Hilton) hotel type resort. It is still going to be run as such, in the main. A maximum of 30% of owners have the option to deal privately from the get go, as we have chosen to do. So I don't think you are comparing like with like.

However from a purely investment perspective, I have to say that I find your statement that " I am not an agent, but recently spent a week in my friend's villa there; she lets it out in July & August (always full) and the returns cover the mortgage and all other outgoings for the year” very impressive and certainly worth investigating by anybody still searching.
BTW, I asked what the service charges were to be when I was looking at the property and was told a max. of 220 euros/mth. So that is what I am expecting and while not exactly (by a long shot) inexpensive I figured it was bearable for the facilities on offer.

I posted this last night “We were told that the date for the (deed signing?) party and the handing over date had been firmed up for the 15th of June and the 1st of July.”

I spoke to the agent from (3 letters) who sold us the place today and also my solicitor. I did not take enough notice of what precisely I was told was happening on each of those dates, as I was mainly interested in when the property was going to be available. After today’s conversations it appears that any "party event" is more likely to be for dignitaries and such like to celebrate the completion of the venture and without any of the new owners necessarily being invited.

Also (from my solicitor),even if building and landscaping were all finished and the habitation license applied for by the middle of May, it is quite probable that the license will not be issued until well into July (in his opinion).

So I am not going to book any flights just yet! :(

R

raywbirch

We have just purchase a propery T2 at Monte Santo Does anybody know the details of the rental package? prices etc.How easy is it to rent out yourselves?Maid service?handing over keys?Maintenance?
Any info
Ray

L

Lysos

Jumbo!,

Thank you for your considered and well balanced response. If buying for your own use, and 5 star 'luxury' is what you want, then you are probably not concerned that you are paying over the odds (in my opinion).

However, my posting was aimed at those buyers for whom the projected (wild guesses, and in my belief, unachievable) rental returns seem to be their motivation.

Most couples and families want to spend the majority of their holiday outdoors, enjoying the weather. As long as the living quarters are clean and modern they will be happy; after all they will only be used for sleeping, washing and occasional cooking; granite worktops and plasma screens are unnecessary.

You can only swim in one pool at a time (and how much nicer and '5 star' to have your own private pool) and eat in one restaurant at a time. Being able to enjoy a barbecue on your patio, with freshly picked lemon in your g & t, whilst still being able to keep a weather eye on children in the pool will appeal to more potential renters than a flat on a complex.

(We'll be there again two weeks tonight, sitting in Pedro's restaurant, telling ourselves not to pig out on the wonderful bread, olives, sardine pate & cheese or we won't be able to eat that huge casserole of prawns and haricot beans - never succeeded yet !. Bottle of water, and a bottle of very palatable house red, £20).

R

Roy Burns

Progress on Site

Interesting to find other Monte Santo investors. We have a T2 apartment and a 2 bed townhouse. It will be interesting to compare notes as we move towards completion. I'm interested in who will end up marketing the rentals of the properties in the end. When we bought, the Hilton group's name was being bandied about but I don't know if anything has been formed up yet.

Brian/Janet
Hello,

We are new to the forum and are also owners of a T2. We called into the site on 6th March and had a good look around. All the units are now painted and the hard landscaping, retaining walls, Road paving, pool construction are all under way with plenty of activity on site. The town houses look nearer completion than the rest. Our apartment has all the floors finished and the marble in the bathrooms is complete and the internal painting is underway.
Nadine in the office said that we will all be invited to an opening party around the middle of June but this depends on the issue of the completion licence from the local authority. They are hoping to rent out from 1st July.

Hope this is useful.

Regards Roy & Jean

B

bones

I am looking to get a mortgage on a T2 property in Monte Santo.Does anyone know if a bank has valued any property there and what value?

J

JES

Hi Jenny & Richard and Mike & Angela

We have extended our stay to 10th-19th April if you would like to touch base

Rikki
Hi Ricki

Richard and I will be in Carverio 10th and 11th April if you want to meet up. We are meeting Azy Leite on 7th. It would be good to meet up and compare notes.

Jenny and Richard

B

blackersmanda

Hi Ricki

Richard and I will be in Carverio 10th and 11th April if you want to meet up. We are meeting Azy Leite on 7th. It would be good to meet up and compare notes.

Jenny and Richard
Hi all,

We've just caught up on your messages as we've been in Australia. We can't get out to Portugal until 15th april, and probably stay to around the 18/19th depending on flights. Where is everyone staying? We're looking for a hotel in Carvoeiro, does anyone have any knowledge of any? Did you have to book an appointment to see Azy Leite or can you just turn up at the site? If anyone wants to contact us direct, it's mikedotblackwellattalktalkdotnet. It would be good to get peoples feedback on the rental issues, it seems everyone is in the same boat, having been given very optimistic quotes, but even factoring these down to be more realistic, the rents being quoted on the sites are much below this and don't exactly suggest an exclusive development.

Look forward to talking more.

Mike and Angela

O

ourhomealgarve

i agree with lysos in most they have said,
BUT more interested in what BONES has just asked! as Portuguese banks only give mortgages on loan to value,has anyone had an independant LTV on these properties?

V

Vanessa King

Hello

I have just registered after finding this forum today. I too am a purchser of a T2 apartment purchased through the agents with 3 letters who offered high rental value returns. I would be interested to know who your lawyers are as we have signed a 3 year DRAFT rental agreement with Imocom (albeit on the basis that Hilton were involved) which I would be keen to review. It is news to me that Hilton are not now involved. I have today received a package from IMOCOM with details of the rental programme offering much lower rental values than expected.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
Vanessa

How did everything look when you were there earlier this month?

R

Rikki

Hello

I have just registered after finding this forum today. I too am a purchser of a T2 apartment purchased through the agents with 3 letters who offered high rental value returns. I would be interested to know who your lawyers are as we have signed a 3 year DRAFT rental agreement with Imocom (albeit on the basis that Hilton were involved) which I would be keen to review. It is news to me that Hilton are not now involved. I have today received a package from IMOCOM with details of the rental programme offering much lower rental values than expected.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks
Vanessa

How did everything look when you were there earlier this month?
Hi Vanessa

I have also just received the 08/09 rental rates and the other info. We, and other owners whom I have spoken with, have been advised that the year 1 rental rates are lower than they will be in subsequent years to enable the resort to get bodies through the door to bring in some rental returns asap, and also to establish a client base.
Given that the doors will only be opening on 1st July at the earliest this would seem logical.

We have also signed a 3 year draft rental agreement. Our lawyer is a relative of a friend from home

The resort is moving along very well. The townhouses are virtually completed and landscaping of that area was starting while we were there. The apartments, although not as advanced, are also nearing completion and should be ready by the end of June. We were very impressed with the outdoor pool area and the clubhouse. The pool integrates into the clubhouse balcony area via a large set of curving steps. The clubhouse itself looks huge and I believe will be a major selling point for the resort, differentiating it from other "similar developments". We will be back in late June by which time we will hopefully see a completed development - unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be staying there.

Hopefully meet up with you at some stage in the future

Regards
Rikki

B

blackersmanda

Hi Vanessa,

We have purchased a T2, but after prolonged argument with our lawyers (Martinez-Echevarria Perez &Ferrero Abogados) who the agents with three letters introduced us to, we managed to negotiate a one year rental deal with the option to carry this on if things work out. I see Rikki has updated you on the progress and explained the reasons we were given for the lower than anticipated rents.

We will also be looking at returning sometime in June, when the development is completed, and will hopefully meet up with other owners then.

Regards

Mike and Angela

V

Vanessa King

Hi Vanessa

I have also just received the 08/09 rental rates and the other info. We, and other owners whom I have spoken with, have been advised that the year 1 rental rates are lower than they will be in subsequent years to enable the resort to get bodies through the door to bring in some rental returns asap, and also to establish a client base.
Given that the doors will only be opening on 1st July at the earliest this would seem logical.

We have also signed a 3 year draft rental agreement. Our lawyer is a relative of a friend from home

The resort is moving along very well. The townhouses are virtually completed and landscaping of that area was starting while we were there. The apartments, although not as advanced, are also nearing completion and should be ready by the end of June. We were very impressed with the outdoor pool area and the clubhouse. The pool integrates into the clubhouse balcony area via a large set of curving steps. The clubhouse itself looks huge and I believe will be a major selling point for the resort, differentiating it from other "similar developments". We will be back in late June by which time we will hopefully see a completed development - unfortunately it doesn't look like we will be staying there.

Hopefully meet up with you at some stage in the future

Regards
Rikki

Hi Rikki

Many thanks for responding. After just one visit to this forum it is reassuring to know we are not the only people in our "situation" and also good to know someone has actually seen that things are progressing down there. With no info from the people with three initials we are working blind.

We will not be there until October so things should have settled down by then.

Many thanks
Vanessa

V

Vanessa King

Hi Vanessa,

We have purchased a T2, but after prolonged argument with our lawyers (Martinez-Echevarria Perez &Ferrero Abogados) who the agents with three letters introduced us to, we managed to negotiate a one year rental deal with the option to carry this on if things work out. I see Rikki has updated you on the progress and explained the reasons we were given for the lower than anticipated rents.

We will also be looking at returning sometime in June, when the development is completed, and will hopefully meet up with other owners then.

Regards

Mike and Angela
Hello Mike & Angela

Many thanks for your note. Have MEP&FA given any explanation as to when and why the Hilton pulled out. We are very disappointed at the initial rentals as they are 50% below the figures we were working on - given by the three initials. Looking at the rentals on the priceline website we can actually stay in this 5 start resort in our level of apartment for €90 a night (for 4 adults) over Christmas/New Year - a bargain!

One other queston - do you happen to know of a good translator - we need to get an offer letter from Santander Bank translated as they don't seem to be able to get it done.

Many thanks
Vanessa

P

Paul Stevens

Monte Resort

As already indicated in one of the previous posts, Mr Azy Leite is the Condominium and Owner Services Manager for Imocom's Residential Tourism resorts and can clarify matters related to the Rental Contract, Owner usage, Services, the Owners Club and the Condominium. He can be contacted at: azy (dot) leite (at) imocom-grupo (dot) com or alternatively at 00 351 289 304 900.

Feel free to contact him to schedule an appointment locally in person.
Hi there,
my name is Paul and I have invested in Monte and I have just read your email and was wondering if pos. you could let me know how you got on.

R

ramanam

We have also invested in Monte Santo, purchasing T2 apartment last october.
Its our first venture overseas and also have agreed to 3 year contract.
I thought everything was going along okay until finding this forum tonight.
We have received information about paying first instalment of furniture package by 15th May,
Is anyone else in the same position??
All help appreciated.

B

blackersmanda

Hi Vanessa,
We have had no information from our lawyers, in fact during our "discussions" regarding the rental agreement, it felt like they were actually acting for the resort and not for us!
The rentals do look very low, but Imocom are saying this is a "discounted" first year offer to get the place established.
I'm afraid we don't know of a translator, and there have been times when we have encountered exactly the same problems as you in various organisations sending us portuguese documents with then quite a protracted struggle to get translated ones.

lets keep in touch

regards

Mike and Angela

Hello Mike & Angela

Many thanks for your note. Have MEP&FA given any explanation as to when and why the Hilton pulled out. We are very disappointed at the initial rentals as they are 50% below the figures we were working on - given by the three initials. Looking at the rentals on the priceline website we can actually stay in this 5 start resort in our level of apartment for €90 a night (for 4 adults) over Christmas/New Year - a bargain!

One other queston - do you happen to know of a good translator - we need to get an offer letter from Santander Bank translated as they don't seem to be able to get it done.

Many thanks
Vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.