ad

In which countries should I invest $500,000 for passive income

D

DavidThomspon

I want to buy properties in different countries.

My goal is to have them being managed by someone for me. Would be nice if the process could be trusted to the point I could buy them just by email/phone. You can laugh but the only property I bought so far I bought in a country I've never been to and only exchanging emails with agents and developer.

I don't expect miracles, I would be contented with stable 5% per year.

My budged is $500,000 and I'd prefer to buy a several units around $100,000 each so up to 5 units. The biggest I could go would be 2 x $200,000 - $250,000 units it that would make more sense than smaller ones.

I'm looking into markets like:

Cambodia,
Malaysia,
Philippines,
Myanmar,
Balkan and less developed Eastern European countries,
Arab countries (Dubai, Jordan etc)

I'm from Europe so South America it's a no-go for me unless I can find something that could be really 100% autopiloted by an agent for me.

To sum up I need a country where an agency will be able to guide me through the buying process and then manage my unit preferably with me not even having to come to that country.

D

diyhelp

If you’re looking to take a hands-off approach, have you considered investing in a property fund? That way you would get a good spread of investments and not have anything to do with the day-to-day management.

D

DavidThomspon

If you’re looking to take a hands-off approach, have you considered investing in a property fund? That way you would get a good spread of investments and not have anything to do with the day-to-day management.
I want to hold hard assets not numbers on my computer screen...

R

realdeals

Personally I would not hold more than 3 properties otherwise you are spreading yourself too thin and costs would be larger as a percentage of your portfolio value. I am not sure if $500k is enough to give you an international spread. Maybe concentrate on one country/market which has good potential and then look to expand internationally in the future?

D

Dan Veo

The Best Countries to Invest In are ranked based on scores primarily from more than 6,000 business decision makers on a compilation of eight equally weighted country attributes corrupt, dynamic, economically stable, entrepreneurial, favorable tax environment, innovative, skilled labor force, and technological expertise.

1. Philippines #1 in Best Countries to Invest In
2. Indonesia #2 Best Countries to Invest In
3. Poland #3 Best Countries to Invest In
4. Malaysia #4 Best Countries to Invest In
5. Singapore #5 Best Countries to Invest In

V

Valeria_in_Sardinia

To sum up I need a country where an agency will be able to guide me through the buying process and then manage my unit preferably with me not even having to come to that country.
Sardinia it is only a couple of hours flight for all the major cities in Europe and some agencies would be quite happy to help you to buy your properties and then manage the rents for a fee. By the Italian law, you need to give a "Procura", power of attorney, proxy, to the agency for the deed.

It seems you have already given it some thought and decided to invest in the Far East countries though and maybe you have decided against the European Countries.

Last edited:
V

Valeria_in_Sardinia

I think Greece could be an interesting long term play:-

Under the Greek Golden Visa program, Chinese and other non-EU investors acquiring property with a minimum value of €250,000 can also gain a residency permit. This not only allows them to live in Greece but offers the opportunity to move within the greater EU area.
You can get this type of Visa in Italy too! It is called "Permesso di soggiorno per residenza elettiva" There is not a minimum value for the property but you have to demonstrate that you are able to live in Italy without working. Then over time, you can turn this visa in a different type of visa if you wish.

Last edited:
F

FWL

I have read in numerous places that Italy is in big financial trouble - growing pension fund deficit and an economy which is struggling. I think we can also expect more unrest as the EU seems to be dictating financial management to the Italian government.

V

Valeria_in_Sardinia

I have read in numerous places that Italy is in big financial trouble - growing pension fund deficit and an economy which is struggling. I think we can also expect more unrest as the EU seems to be dictating financial management to the Italian government.
Yes, it is true. Italy has been at risk for long time but it has always managed to stay at float. If you are considering buying in Italy just as an investment rather than for the lifestyle it can offer, it is maybe better to wait.

Having said that, also Greece has been in a much worst financial trouble over the last 10 years , but not all areas and property types have been affected in the same way.
For instance, the property prices in touristy areas remained the same.

Last edited:
L

lookinginvest

I think the main problem with Italy is the fact the EU and Italian government are not willing to take the difficult decisions and are instead happy to keep Italy afloat with financial assistance. The only way Greece bounced back was because it was allowed to fall to its knees, the low point, and then start again.

Here lies the problem, if this happened to Italy then the EU and Euro would collapse. Greece was but cannon fodder in the EU's long term game.

W

wealthbuildingrealestate

Forum Partner
Hi David,
There are most likely many different countries that you can purchase real estate investment properties, and make an excellent return on your money. In regards to you mentioning,
"I don't expect miracles, I would be contented with stable 5% per year". That is most definitely attainable. After the 2008 mortgage debacle that we had here in the United States....the one good thing that came from it was that it created an outstanding opportunity to purchase real estate investment properties at unheard of prices, and making very good monthly/annual returns. But, it's absolutely paramount that you have a good agent/property manager who will be overseeing your investment properties. This cannot be overstated. Whichever route that you go in, I wish you all the best.

John Wilson

John Wilson

Having bought properties sight unseen and regretted it in my own country, I just wouldn’t have the stomach to do it in another country, so I admire your daring!

I’d look to buy properties in good short term rental areas and run them as serviced accommodation, to get a much higher cashflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Property Forum mobile app