ad

Importance of gas heating for rental property

R

RichBlackwell

Hi all.

So I’m looking at a semi detached property, currently listed at £170k. Its to be an investment property, to rent out long term.

It’s a repossession and needs a new kitchen, bathroom, carpets and walls. That’s all fine.

The aspect I’m concerned about is the lack of gas heating. It’s NOT connected to the mains, but the mains are at the end of the garden, beyond the fence.

My two questions to those in the know are:

1, how does adding gas heating affect the value of the property?

(if it costs £5k to install but adds £10k-£15k then that could justify it).

2, does having just electric heating affect the rental ability?

Thanks in advance, for any advice or information!

P

PostBrexitInvestor

While I don’t know the exact figures, the majority of people assume that a rental property will have gas central heating in this day and age. I also understand that electric heating is much more expensive compared to gas central heating. Can anybody else confirm this?

F

FWL

One other way to do this is to check out other properties in the area and see what they offer. You will very quickly see trends in the type of central heating, etc.

M

martina james

Well, every landlord nowadays offers such things. But one of the best ways is to check and ask with others. Central heating is not much expensive but it is also true that not everyone can afford that.

P

PostBrexitInvestor

It is also worth mentioning that if you ever do look to sell your property further down the line, buyers would likely expect central heating as standard.