Import tax

S

steve11

Wondered if anybody was au fait with the current import taxes? We had a quick look about online and although taxes seem to have been cut recently, can't find a definitive table. We want to import some electrical goods to our new apartment...any info gratefully received!

A

awahee123

Banned
Hi Stevie,

I think this is a very interesting question,the only problem here is even though we have talked about the tax and import duty numerous times no one has really come forward with any concrete answers.
I'm sure as with most countries it will differ depending on what you are wanting to import.Maybe some of the people who have imported their furniture could throw some light onto this subject or if someone got in contact with the Egyptian embassy they would certainly supply this information in full.

propertywatch1

propertywatch1

<b>Official Photographer</b>
Hello Steve11

I would not import anything......their eyes will light up for the baksheesh whatever the stated importation taxes are someone will always take more money off you.

When we looked into bringing electrical goods out here it was around 40% tax and to be honest buying most things here are a reasonable price plus the shops will still guarantee their products here.

We have found that only small electrical items are expensive here compared with the uk such as microwaves etc.

Fridge freezers,washing machines,cookers,are probably cheaper here to be honest. Only thing we have found over the top on price are LCD Tv's and we have noticed they are coming down in price all the time.

If you want any more help just PM me.

L

lyndsay552

If you take goods on a plane as excess baggage will you avoid the import tax?

crombiestone

crombiestone

Hi

I agree with Propertywatch . Import taxes are as high as 55% . I cannot find anything on the internet to say that they have changed recently .

If it is a non Luxury item and is made in Egypt ie Fridge ,Washer or Oven, it should be reasonably priced anyway . Zanussi and Toshiba have licences to manufacture in Egypt so there are familiar brands too. If it is a Luxury item i.e dishwasher,microwave or lcd tv they will be imported and more expensive but they will still be better bought in Egypt than importing yourself.

You can smuggle in smaller items in your flight allowance .We successfuly brought in 2 LCD T.V's a Hi Fi and a DVD player over several trips . Its unlikely that you will be stopped on your way in but it could happen and you would be charged/bribed to get out of it . Hurghada airport is a Military airport and as such the customs staff are a bit more full on than most too.

If your bag goes awol for any reason . It will be searched when you go to collect it as this happened to me ( Thanks BA for making me collect it myself !) thankfully that case had nothging more than sheets,clothes & wallpaper so we werent charged anything.

To save a lot of potential hassle it is best just to buy in Egypt.

N

nuttybird

Wondered if anybody was au fait with the current import taxes? We had a quick look about online and although taxes seem to have been cut recently, can't find a definitive table. We want to import some electrical goods to our new apartment...any info gratefully received!
I have an up to date list of all duty and taxes,from cars,to furniture,electrical and clothes.
Also have list of restricted items and prohibited items.

As you probably know,i am actually having my things shipped from the uk(infact,its going today!) so any other questions,just ask.

Please all keep your fingers crossed for me that my things will arrive safely and don"t fall off the back of the ship!!!!!!!:mad:

V

VICKIG

Yes fingers crossed.
Is it possible for you to post the list on the forum as I am sure many of us on here would be interested to know the prices etc....

N

nuttybird

Is it ok if i just type it all on this thread? as i can"t do anything too technical!!!!:confused:

N

nuttybird

Go into the thread "living in Egypt" and then to page 16,ive put costing for cars there (don"t want to type it all out again!)

DUTY AND TAXES INCL.

ELECTRONICS=55%

FURNITURE=50%

COMPUTERS= NO DUTY BUT 10% TAX

BOOKS= 5% DUTY BUT NO TAX

CONSUMABLES= 50%

USED CLOTHES= FREE

NEW CLOTHES £5-£125 EACH PIECE!!

Also have a list of restricted items and prohibited items if you want that?

Karen

A

awahee123

Banned
Good info here guys keep it rolling,maybe it would be a good idea to put the banned item list on here as well just for info,what do you think?...

N

nuttybird

Good info here guys keep it rolling,maybe it would be a good idea to put the banned item list on here as well just for info,what do you think?...
BANNED/PROHIBITED ITEMS

ALCOHOL
ALL TELEPHONES(MOBILE,WIRELESS,NORMAL HOME PHONES)
ANY PONOGRAPHIC MATERIAL
DRUGS
PERISHABLE FOODS
FIREARMS AND WEAPONS,AMMUNITION,DAGGERS AND SWORDS (EVEN AS DECORATIVE ITEMS)

ANY ANTI-ISLAMIC RELIGIOUS MATERIAL
GOLD AND SILVER (TABLEWARE PERMITTED)
SEEDS

This is the list for shipping,not sure if it"s the same for things in your suitcase.

M

Mohannad

hello everybody
i would like to know something about the import tax in egypt
i have scooter in belguim and i would like to export it to hurghada i mean to egypt
do any one knows how to start the first step or how much it will cost

C

Cairopy

Hi - lots of really good info on this thread. I would like to send unaccompanied baggage but don't know if I will be hammered for tax - has anyone done this? I have people who will pick up for me but don't want to put them in an awkward situation.

Is it better to carry on as excess baggage?

thanks!

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi on another forum someone sent some blinds via air and Im sure they didnt have any problem although he said Sharm has no cargo customs the goods had to go to Cairo for customs clearance and then forwarded to Sharm. He used transglobalexpress

C

casslondon

Imports to Egypt

I would really appreciate a copy of this list please. I have just purchased an apartment in Sharm and can't fnd anything definitive on the web on what I can and acn't do. Also I ish to set up a shop there which would require importing goods, has anyone set up a business there? If so any tips would be great!
Thanks
Cass
PS: Hope your shipment went well!

I have an up to date list of all duty and taxes,from cars,to furniture,electrical and clothes.
Also have list of restricted items and prohibited items.

As you probably know,i am actually having my things shipped from the uk(infact,its going today!) so any other questions,just ask.

Please all keep your fingers crossed for me that my things will arrive safely and don"t fall off the back of the ship!!!!!!!:mad:

queenie40something

queenie40something

Hi Casslondon and welcome to the forum.

Nuttybird has not posted for quite a while. Maybe another member can help you.

If you need any assistance navigating the forum please dont hesitate to ask the moderators myself Alison or Lsab ( Linda ).

john'n'kate

john'n'kate

Hi Casslondon and welcome to the forum.

Nuttybird has not posted for quite a while. Maybe another member can help you.

If you need any assistance navigating the forum please dont hesitate to ask the moderators myself Alison or Lsab ( Linda ).
I thought she had not been on here for some time. We (the Wife and I) were wondering how she went on with her furniture exporting, did she recieve it, was it all in order etc?

I need to know!!! :D

C

casslondon

Does anyone have the list of exemptions and import tax etc that queenie 40 something had please?

T

thompsonsom

does no one know nuttybird's email address so we can contact her to see how she went on with her furniture. it would be very helpful to a lot of people

janice

M

M Butler

I would really appreciate a copy of this list please. I have just purchased an apartment in Sharm and can't fnd anything definitive on the web on what I can and acn't do. Also I ish to set up a shop there which would require importing goods, has anyone set up a business there? If so any tips would be great!
Thanks
Cass
PS: Hope your shipment went well!
You could contact one of the big international removal companies in the UK. Import allowances and charges change from time to time so you need to have up to date information.

Margaret